General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saddle bag opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013 | 12:31 AM
ace.froehle
|
Intermediate
Default saddle bag opinions?

So i been thinking about getting a set or mby at least one. i'm being picket due to the the way I've gone with my bike and could use some help on some idea. I thought about doing one side ridged mount. or should i just do 2? but heres the thing i dont always run with a back seat so i couldn't do a throw over? but i cant do detachable since i have the ridged mount. i attached a few pics of my bike,if any of you have examples or suggestions that would be cool and much appreciated :-) im getting tired of using bungie cords to hold my backpack to my sissy bar.

Attached Thumbnails saddle bag opinions?-lucy.jpg   saddle bag opinions?-lucy3.jpg  
Old 11-18-2013 | 12:36 AM
mainboom150
Road Master

What? either you do both hard or both leather you don't do both leather and fiberglass well unless you wanna get made fun of. plus I don't think you have actually taken the time to look at saddle bag options. some have zippers and zip off plus sometime's ceratin bikes can only carry certain bags without getting brakets and such. I think this is something you should look into a little deeper.

Old 11-18-2013 | 07:10 AM
jc15025
Club Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Riders Club Member

Take a look at U.S.Saddlebag Company: http://ussaddlebag.com/harley_saddlebags.html

Originally Posted by ace.froehle
So i been thinking about getting a set or mby at least one. i'm being picket due to the the way I've gone with my bike and could use some help on some idea. I thought about doing one side ridged mount. or should i just do 2? but heres the thing i dont always run with a back seat so i couldn't do a throw over? but i cant do detachable since i have the ridged mount. i attached a few pics of my bike,if any of you have examples or suggestions that would be cool and much appreciated :-) im getting tired of using bungie cords to hold my backpack to my sissy bar.

Old 11-18-2013 | 08:05 AM
spdrcrjl
Tourer

I you are that **** about looks get the HD quick detach saddle bags. You can keep your rigid mount bar too.

Old 11-18-2013 | 09:26 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I thought about some "throw overs" but decided to go with the left side swing arm bag. I do wish I would have looked around more, since I found out too late there's a 5" size...mine is a 3" one and the extra space would be nice.

Old 11-18-2013 | 09:34 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master

I was always a hard bag fan. I had Sportster hard bags on my '79 Low Rider and thought it looked cool. I made my own mounts. YMMV.

In any case, dump the bungees and get some Rok Straps. This goes for everyone out there that are still using bungees. Rok-Straps. Make your dealer carry them. They even come in all black now just for the Harley boys.

Old 11-18-2013 | 09:50 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

throw overs can go under your rear seat.

I used throwovers for a while before getting a sissy bar, then simply chopped the throwover yoke and went to easy brackets. I have the smaller pony express style bags which meant I didn't have to relocate my turn signals, and they cleared the high exhausts on my FB.

The easy brackets mean I can take the bags off in seconds with a single key, great for cleaning or checking in to a hotel/hostel.

Have a look on leatherworks website. They offer some good alternatives to the HD bags and list what will fit what with which fittings.

Last edited by fatboy slim; 11-18-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-19-2013 | 04:44 PM
ace.froehle
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spdrcrjl
I you are that **** about looks get the HD quick detach saddle bags. You can keep your rigid mount bar too.
Unfortunatly i am that **** about it lol otherwise i wouldnt be bugging people for opinions ;-)

Originally Posted by jc15025
Take a look at U.S.Saddlebag Company: http://ussaddlebag.com/harley_saddlebags.html
Thanks i will see what i can find.

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
I was always a hard bag fan. I had Sportster hard bags on my '79 Low Rider and thought it looked cool. I made my own mounts. YMMV.

In any case, dump the bungees and get some Rok Straps. This goes for everyone out there that are still using bungees. Rok-Straps. Make your dealer carry them. They even come in all black now just for the Harley boys.

I will def look into the rok straps those are very nice.

Old 11-19-2013 | 04:58 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member

A good set of throw-overs like US Saddlebag or Fox Creek. Take my advice from my lessons learned - do NOT get cheap throw-overs. I repeat, do NOT get cheap ones!

Another option is a solo-bag by Bad&G Customs. I had one on my Bob, and definitely fit the minimalist look. However, its a smaller bag (compared to full saddlebags) and it's only one, so it doesn't hold much. I could cram a long-sleeve T in there and a sweatshirt, and that was about it.

Great lookin' scoot btw!!