General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'48 Panhead or '85 FXSB

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:39 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,263 Likes on 12,068 Posts

You have sweat equity in the Pan, keep that one.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 AM
V-Man
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't own just one bike, if you're like a lot of folks here. Sounds like the pan has your blood and sweat in it. Get rid of that and you'll likely regret losing that piece of your history. What's more, the pan is a classic with lots of attitude! What's not to love about that? Welcome to you from Milwaukee, WI. Good luck with your decision!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:34 AM
brentswth20
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your guys's feedback and welcomes, it's making me glad that I asked the question here. If you don't mind me asking though, why would you say the Panhead? Is it the nostalgia? If you have any stories behind your opinion, please share them cause I'd love to hear!

Again, thanks so much

Old 11-18-2013, 12:00 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,190 Likes on 6,718 Posts

Several of my friends have meticulously restored knucks, pans, shovels, and even a flatty or two. Some are daily riders, and very reliable. You can bling-out a newer bike as much as you want, and it still won't be as classy as an antique.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:34 PM
brentswth20
Intermediate

Thanks RHPAW, and that's what i've been doing too which is the only reason I was considering selling the Pan. I've wrenched on her more than ridden and as much as I love her, she can be a pain in the *** to me sometimes. I always said though, eh that's just her soul, some are stubborn and some aren't..she's a stubborn one haha. I'd ride her for 5 minutes which I'd then work on her for 1 hour. I'd get so pissed and say AH, THAT'S IT!!! and throw a wrench. After picking up that wrench and turn around, I'd see her and fall in love all over again.

I just brought up this subject because like I said, we live on the road full time and I mean full. Our house is on wheels and the 8 foot trailer behind it is the garage. I dunno, maybe I'm just blowing smoke cause I know an Evo is easy to buy / get rid of, but at the same time I love that bike too. Maybe I just love too much, haha

Old 11-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Living on the road makes impossible choices mandatory. I know everyone says Pan, but the FXSB will give you more saddle time with less grief. I'm more about the ride, so I'd let the Pan go after taking lots of pics & a couple videos of her. I think you already know in your heart which one you'll keep. Just offering the other perspective cuz you asked.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:22 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,190 Likes on 6,718 Posts

It boils down to what you want the bike for. The Evo needs less attention and is ready to ride. The Pan requires some degree of dedication (at least until you go through it properly). Even then, it won't be as comfortable as the Evo, has one less gear, and running a Pan 70-80 all day is kinda beating on it.. It won't accelerate, brake, and handle as well, and at the end of the day, you'll be pretty much ready to get off it. In spite of how that may sound negative, that's exactly what appeals to some folks.
I have a newer one, and an old one. Old one still my favorite, and I still do trips with it. Old bikes still look cool if they get dirty.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:25 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,263 Likes on 12,068 Posts

Anyone can buy and ride an Evo or TwinCam but few can ride and take care of a Panhead.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:35 PM
brentswth20
Intermediate

Thanks again so much guys, and see now I'm glad I wrote that last bit because I want to see both sides of the spectrum. I appreciate your opinions and the light it is shedding. If anybody else reads this and has an opinion, keep 'em comin!

Old 11-18-2013, 01:51 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Sell 'em both & buy a Twin Cam, since you won't have a garage to wrench.

Quick Reply: '48 Panhead or '85 FXSB