General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking bad habits

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Failuretolaunch
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking bad habits

Hello all just looking for some insight I know I have a bad habit covering the front brake not paying 100 per cent attention if I see something I hit the brake it seems to catch real fast at times I say if I keep at this I going down
If I ride the back brake this all goes away bike is more responsive no front brake just gear changes to slow
I was looking at adjustable levers to maybe bring the handle closer to me I might not apply to much pressure or can the power of the brake handle be adjusted. Thanks for the input
The weather is getting wet front brake and wet don't mix

Old 11-17-2013, 10:50 PM
cb7263
Road Captain

Just gotta balance em out. Make sure that when it's wet out you are more aware of what your doing with the brakes.
Now my bad habit, I often follow too close, but it's always people that are going to slow.
I need to stop doing that.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:55 PM
caglezxj
Tourer

I often have two fingers resting on it but as far as stopping it I apply to it first ease on the rear and front and keep squeezing softly on the front. A quick squeeze will lock one up. But if it's just normal riding and stopping try what I do. I always downshift when I can.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I cover my front brakes when I'm riding locally in urban traffic. Except, instead of using my first two fingers to cover the brakes I use the last three (middle, ring and pinkey) fingers. I use my pointer and thumb for the throttle. I know this is an improper method but I've been doing it for so long it's become a habit. Thus far it works and I have no problems braking. Even in evasive maneuvers. I've tried the more traditional method but I just can't do it comfortably.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:10 PM
ColoFXDC
Tourer

Gotta use them both at the same time. Practice hard stopping in a parking lot with both brakes.

Old dirt bike trick and not really endorsed by a lot of riders is arming the front brake with the pointer finger. In 20 years of riding I have never used more than 1 finger for the front brake. Helps prevent over front braking.

But practicing the hard braking with BOTH brakes in parking lots is your best bet!

Old 11-17-2013, 11:16 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

The best practice I've ever had with finesse with the front brake was my first mountain ride on my Buell. That front brake is a nasty mistress. You get too aggressive with it and you find yourself doing a "flying w".

Old 11-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take an advanced rider training course before you kill yourself. They will put you on a track and teach you things about braking you never imagined.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I cover my front brake all the time. I rarely and I mean very rarely ever use my back brake. while at speed "In emergency situation". in low speed areas ill use my back brake a lot more. depending on your bike you can also adjust the brake to give a little before it actually ingauges. all bikes are different too as to how they handle and riding ability of the person so what works for one may not work for you.
also I hope this don't turn into one of them what people do wrong when they ride and how great everyone thinks they are threads. like if you duck walk you don't know how to ride type of things

Old 11-18-2013, 12:31 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're not covering the front brake, you can hit the rear in half the time. Your leg is a lot stronger than your fingers. You can stomp on the rear way faster than extending your fingers out and grabbing the lever.

So, what I always teach is to set your electronic cruise control and rest your open hand over the front brake lever. There is some danger to placing all your fingers over the lever because you're not holding the hand grip. If your hand is big enough you should use two fingers on the brake, Index and middle, and outside fingers on the grip. That's the way I do it.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:46 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
If you're not covering the front brake, you can hit the rear in half the time. Your leg is a lot stronger than your fingers. You can stomp on the rear way faster than extending your fingers out and grabbing the lever.

So, what I always teach is to set your electronic cruise control and rest your open hand over the front brake lever. There is some danger to placing all your fingers over the lever because you're not holding the hand grip. If your hand is big enough you should use two fingers on the brake, Index and middle, and outside fingers on the grip. That's the way I do it.

WHAT? I'm not disagreeing with anything zeus said. but I guess I don't get something about hitting the rear brake? its what like 70% of all braking is from the front brake the rear brake is virtually usesless at speed I have heard it told that really you should only use the rear at low speeds. so what good does the stomping on the rear brake do? especially if you have highway bars or switchblades like I do. I have heard people give this theory before and never understood it. I guess my point is. this is why you should always cover the front and only worrie about the front brake in most situations. because the bake brake isn't gonna help you out anyhow. or is this just how its taught. I never took a course since I was way to young to when I started riding. not saying im right just asking the theory behind it

Quick Reply: Braking bad habits