General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013 | 09:53 PM
John Coyle
|
HDF Editor
Default When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?

This clip actually popped up while I was looking around for a random '90s rock track on YouTube. It's a good tutorial, and it doesn't hurt that she's cute.

I remember learning this technique when I was first learning to ride. But the—fortunately—few times I've had to pick my bike up off its side, there's been so much adrenaline coursing through my veins I didn't even think about it, just yanked it upright. Once, I even did it with a broken collarbone. That probably wasn't the brightest idea, though I managed to make it home OK afterwards.

When's the last time you've had to pick up a bike?

Old 11-14-2013 | 10:05 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

My dad dropped a soft tail in the spring and I picked it up. Probably should have used that technique but when the fluids are leaking, it makes ya just want to hulk it up. That's what I did.

Old 11-14-2013 | 11:03 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Been a while. Back when I had the '99 Ultra. First week I had that thing I tipped it over in a bank drive-thru. Pinned my right ankle to the ground. Had to lift that sumbitch up enough to pull my leg out, then let her back down. Got up & hopped around on one foot 'til it quit hurtin. Looked over at the window & the teller was sittin there with her mouth wide open & her eyes bugged out. Sucked it up, walked over & managed to set her back up on side stand w/o floppin her over on the left side too. Can't remember if I was more pissed or embarrassed.

Old 11-15-2013 | 05:45 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member

About a three weeks ago when a "buddy" knocked it over with his truck pulling out of my house......(He almost died & he knows it).

Broken clutch handle, broken clutch handle housing, bent mirror, crimped throttle cables, and dented speedo housing.

Old 11-15-2013 | 08:37 AM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member

About 8 years ago. Left the disk lock on with no reminder tag. Now by answering this post I just jinxed myself

Last edited by Longhair4life; 11-15-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2013 | 08:37 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member

At 65,don't have the double jointed flexibility that a tiny little chick does.With a tiny little Harley. I face the bike (Road King) squat,grabbing the grip and the bag guard,and pick 'er up. Engine guard makes the whole process twice as easy.

Old 11-15-2013 | 09:38 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Well! the first thing you do is look around to see if anyone saw you drop it. I dropped mine in a little gravel parking lot backing up on a little hill. I do have an engine guard so that helped it from going all the way over. I just grabbed it with my 70 year old body and picked it up. A 99 Softail Custom is not to bad to pickup when the adreniline is there. Didn't put a mark on it anywhere.

Old 11-15-2013 | 10:06 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

...... 2 yrs ago
..... an inclinated gravel driveway & some ill-timed front brake are my excuses
....... an old skool chopper guy down the street witnessed the incident & helped me get'r upright ... then offered me a drink after .. thx, bud !

Old 11-15-2013 | 10:13 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

Parked the RG in an underground, dimly lit parking lot and after turning the bike off and putting the stand down, thought it would be a little safer if I moved it forward another foot or so. In doing so, I dragged the stand and it was no longer set properly and folded the rest of the way back with the weight of the bike.

I realized too late and eased the bike down. No damage at all. As I've always been a gym rat I figured I'd just hoist it up, and in doing so, totally ruptured my distal biceps tendon. I hear the pop, but complete the lift. Then I look at my arm and realize that my bicep has rolled up toward my shoulder. Surgery and reattached tendon and now 100%.

Moral of the story, don't let the adreniline do your thinking. Lift it properly. Especially with the touring bikes as they're a lot heavier, and what you can get away with on the lighter bikes might not hold true with the baggers.

Old 11-15-2013 | 10:31 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Never dropped a Harley, but hadda pick up my V65 Honda when the kickstand sank into hot asphalt once. I waited 'till after lunch to do it, since it was only rice.

I'm overly cautious when it comes to my Harleys. I think if I dropped one, I'd hafta sell it.

Quick Reply: When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?