General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014 | 07:33 AM
hans01
Intermediate

Dropped my Ultra alongside the German Autobahn last June. The guy in front of me decided to "test" the stopping power if his Buell when entering a rest area. Had no other choice as passing him via the bank. Hit one of the markerposts with the right highwaypeg. This was enough to make the bike do a full turn. Quite a scary sight when you see cars coming at you with about 140 Mph from such a low viewpoint.
Personally only minor injury luckily. The Ultra didn't look that bad but all in all 16 -17.000 US$ damage.
Decided to have it painted pearl white. Looks great, a lot beter as my mate when he realized what happened :-)
At least good story out of it, but wouldn't do it again :-)

Old 05-09-2014 | 07:48 AM
Jack Sullivan
Outstanding HDF Member

I dropped a RK in the garage this winter. I didn't set the stand far enough. No biggy. Once the bike is down it's down so I just approach it calmly with the same technique as the little cutie. It had been 25 years since I dropped a bike. I was drunk and hopped off my KZ900 without putting the stand down in front of about 50 people. I went through a couple of bikes that summer. Flipped one and leaned another to much and slid it into a bridge.

Old 05-09-2014 | 08:15 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

I wiped out my 2012 Ultra last year on a muddy road. I had so much adrenaline that the bike was back on the wheels before I even thought about the proper way to do it.

Old 05-09-2014 | 08:37 AM
Gunrunner72
Road Master

I was at my gf's house about a month ago and her HOT neighbor had rolled her softail custom off the kickstand in the driveway. I just happened to look out the window and saw her trying to stand it up, SO being the friendly, neighborly type I went over to see if I could help. I told her how to turn around with her butt to the bike and pick it up because she wanted to do it herself and she did get it stood back up and I enjoyed watching every second of it.

Old 05-09-2014 | 10:28 AM
eleutheros
Road Master

1984. One friend had ridden his Ultra Classic. 5 of us picked it up after falling over in the dirt embankment.
The video fails to mention the kickstand out, and another person standing behind in case you go too far.

Old 05-09-2014 | 11:26 AM
kitkat
Stage IV
Wink

Dropped my Dyna Superglide Custom in a crowded parking lot after shifting into first and trying to take off. Quickly realized I had forgotten to unlock the forks (doh!!!) and was able to lay it down gently, but not before several gentlemen ran over to help. How embarrassing !!! It would have been fine had I only needed to go in circles...

Old 05-09-2014 | 09:35 PM
riceinwa
4th Gear

During a slow left-hand turn in an advanced safety class, got too slow and could feel the bike going down, stuck my left foot down and my heel caught under the bag of my 07 Ultra...literally ran over my foot, hyper-extended the knee and the bike fell on my left foot. Fortunately, I was wearing good boots...the sole was caught at a 90 degree angle to the bike. But still mashed the foot badly. I was able to use the other foot to push myself out from under the bike, got up and righted the bike (just brute forced it). Others in the class were coming to my aid but when they saw me lift the Ultra they all stopped and got back on their bikes. I finished the course and passed, giving them the tight turn points. Rode the bike about 80 miles back to the house. Went to the Dr. who pronounced the foot unbroken (by x-ray) but "crushed"...seems when you displace bones and cartilage and suffer a lot of internal bleeding, they deem that a crush. Bike had about $1300 damage and the insurance company tagged me with a collision. Thanks USAA!

Old 05-09-2014 | 10:36 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

Bought a new KZ 900 in 1974 put 4 inch over forks on it . I would ride it in to an old shed and back it in the corner . One Friday night I ride it in and started backing it in to the corner and in the dark (no lights) fell over a box of junk . Now I have it on top of me in the dark drunk and mad. Also the hot pipes were burning the crap out of me and I did pick it off me and back up . But remember that was in 1974 I was in my 20,s a Bricklayer 230 lb and drunk .

Old 05-09-2014 | 10:51 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by John Coyle
.....When's the last time you've had to pick up a bike?
December, 2012

Old 05-12-2014 | 12:51 AM
Gunpoet
Intermediate

Was pushing my 1200 Sporty 2 miles when she mysteriously died. Missing a 6 inch chunk of my right thigh from an accident last year. Long story short, leg tired, car speeding wide in the corner, steep dirt berm. Only scratched the throttle grip on the edge but aggravating none the less. Picking her up I noticed the main ground had broken. Tool bag open problem fixed...

Quick Reply: When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?