General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014 | 05:11 PM
Sanyasi
Advanced

Heading towards Bryce Canyon we stayed overnite in a small motel in Utah. Up the next morning real early at first light so we could get some miles done that day. Had to pull in for gas first thing and being groggy , no coffee, no breakfast and no brain I pulled in along side the pump and just forgot to put my feet down----over she went with my wife on the back. I don't think anyone can beat that for stupidity. It was a fully loaded 2003 Electra Glide Classic with tour pack on and I figure weighing somewhere around 1000 lbs. (with my wife off.) 1150 with her on and top heavy---- I had just got the bagger two weeks before because she didn't want to do another 5000 mile tour on the back of my Dyna. I now always fill my gas tank the nite before when I'm awake.

P.S. never lean over and place your helmet on the ground when the bike is not on the stand---- it turns into a battle of willpower--- stand it back up or it goes down on your leg.

Last edited by Sanyasi; 05-08-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: My wife might kill me.
Old 05-08-2014 | 06:32 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

My first bike was a show room new 1989 Sportster. I was getting off of it in an unlit detached garage and I forgot to put the kick stand down. She went over gently onto the wood floor, no witnesses, no damage.
My second bike was a 91 FXSTC, one day at a gas pump just forgot to put the stand down again but managed to catch it before it actually hot the ground, no damage.
Third bike was a 93 FXLR Low Rider, never dropped it.
Fourth bike was an 07 Street Glide. Parked it on an extremely steep driveway and forgot to leave it in gear. She rolled super slow downward but fast enough I couldn't catch it. She rolled onto the right side causing me to repaint half the bike. One witness.
Fifth bike, 02 FXST. Left it idling in my driveway perpendicular to the slope and must have vibrated past the balance point and over she went on her right side. About $1500 in damage to pipes, air cleaner, tank etc. No witnesses.

Old 05-08-2014 | 06:36 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Since I started riding in 1956 I have never had to pick up a bike. Never dropped them or had an accident.

Old 05-08-2014 | 06:52 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Since I started riding in 1956 I have never had to pick up a bike. Never dropped them or had an accident.
Big kudos! Wish I could say any of those statements.

Old 05-08-2014 | 06:56 PM
FinallyRiding
Tourer

I had to pick up my Ultra Roadglide about 2 years ago just got it and was loaded for a trip got stopped in road construction and front tire dropped off some uneven pavement I didn't see until it was too late. My wife was part of a demonstration that was teaching this lift methods she is 5 foot 115 pounds and did make it look easy. She said she was surprised that the bike was that easy to sit up right. I did tell her we aren't practicing at home. Lol

Old 05-08-2014 | 07:11 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I had a dirtbike when I was young ... dropped it daily. Pushed it to the limits all the time, rode it in mud and sand and snow and on ice, and oh boy, how this experience is helping me now. Second day of my Harley ownership it started raining, I had no clue stock Dunlop is such a POS! I locked up the front under braking at about 50 MPH. My fingers reacted instantly before I was even thinking about it. It all ended with a slight wobble, the cop who was sitting there under 35 MPH speed limit was entertained - he was the reason I had to brake.

Old 05-08-2014 | 08:12 PM
nobody43055
Stage III

I rode my 04 dynd lowrider over a driveway washout and punched a hole in my oil pan.I rode down the road a few miles and came upon a slight S curve. I tapped the rear brake to scurb off a little speed. Of course with the rear tire, rotor,caliper and pads, and everything else drenched in oil, full rear tire lockup.try to not lock up rear tire, but if you do, keep it locked, I skidded right, left, right, and back to the left one more time. Never did lay it down. Finally slid off the blacktop into gravel and grass.Still up rite. Went thru the grass and gravel and on out into the ditch. My front wheel started up the back side of the ditch, bring the bike to a complete stop still up rite.,But being across that damn ditch, my feet wouldn't reach the ground. I was like that old fart on LaughIn back in the 60's. I just stopped and fell stright over to the side. My wife andI went back with a tape measure and checked the distance. First skid mark to where we fell over-205 ft. I wish I could say I was that good, but I am not. The good Lord was riding with me that day. Ride safe

Old 05-08-2014 | 08:30 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Incredible, I personally use both brakes only when riding in wet or in high speed curve if I find I cannot maintain the speed for some reason (somebody cuts me off). In all other cases it is front brake only.

Old 05-08-2014 | 08:38 PM
sunderhill
Road Master
Veteran: Navy

A couple months ago we left a watering hole and got a few miles down the road and realized I did not close out the lunch tab and left my credit card there. I made the mistake of telling the wife as she was two up with me. As I am trying to turn the bike on a small side road that was gravel and paying more attention to her yelling at me than the surface I had the bars turned left and hit the front brake.....down she goes at about 2 mph......then I had to listen to that before I could pick the bike up....moral of the story pay attention to what you are doing to turn the bike around and less attention to the wife's yelling.

Old 05-09-2014 | 06:29 AM
Alberta Beagle
Advanced

Originally Posted by dickey
Never dropped a Harley, but hadda pick up my V65 Honda when the kickstand sank into hot asphalt once. I waited 'till after lunch to do it, since it was only rice.

I'm overly cautious when it comes to my Harleys. I think if I dropped one, I'd hafta sell it.
Only rice?

Where do you think parts for your Hong Lee Davidson were sourced you stupid ****.

Quick Reply: When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?