General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014 | 02:58 PM
bodo
Stage IV

I dropped my 2010 Ultra Classic in a parking lot covered with gravel when I was doing an U-turn. Nothing would have happened if this pick-up truck would not have showed up from around the corner at the last second when I was just going to engage the asphalt road. I was in the first gear, but was just throttling up to get on the road. I hit the brake and turn the wheel to the left in order not to hit the edge of the road. That's when I realized that I can't hold it anymore. I just slowly put it down on the crush bars. No scratches, thanks God! About 10 minutes later a guy on a beat up chopper showed up and gave me a hand to lift it. I don't try to lift it on my own, I know I can't. I better light a smoke and look for help.

Old 05-08-2014 | 03:06 PM
jaredd0dge
Intermediate
Default Dropped my bike...

The day I bought my first Harley I trailered it home and had a very narrow ramp. It was raining that day and when I was about halfway down the ramp my left foot slipped off and me and the bike both fell off. No damage was done to the bike or myself.

Old 05-08-2014 | 03:08 PM
wnt2gofst
Intermediate

Last thursday at my Wifes going away dinner for her work I decided to ride my 14 Street bob. Meet wife and her coworkers there. We have a drink order food bs for few. I decide to go out side to smoke.

While standing out side watch guy get in teuck next to my bike. See him answer phone and go to pull off. (He was backed in) no pull out just hard right. I scream as he hits my bike. His rear door on his dodge ram hits my handle bars lifting and knocking over bike. I yell a few choice words. Table of women remember me parking. Ask if I'm ok. I ask them to go get my wife.

At this point guy gets out his truck. Wife is now out to talk to him as I am furious. He then says he wasn't paying attention cause was on phone. I had enough and cross parking lot to confront him. He then says he hung up phone but did not see bike. I ask how you walked past it to get in truck. He then gets attitude abd says he don't care. I get madder as he says he is going to just leave. By now several people are watching. I walk to front of his truck to block him. If he is stupid enough to now try to run me over. Im game to pull my xd 40. Wife on phone with cops as well.

Cops come take his side and mine. He's older guy as in 70 and im 34. Says I said was going kick his ***. Which I never said. Tells cops I wouldn't let leave. What do if he ran me over. Cops response was you did not see his bike guess you didn't see gun also.

Any way 2600 in damage to bike and ruined dinner. Don't get bike back till next friday if parts come in.

Old 05-08-2014 | 03:19 PM
blsanders
Stage III
Thumbs up Lmao!

I am tickled to read all of these posts as I see some of the men are commenting on their wives dropping their bikes. Let me tell you a story...

I purchased my new 2011 FLHTK Ultra Classic Limited in the summer of 2011, two weeks before I was to go on a 3000 mile trip. Mind you I have only been riding since 2002 so my skills were ok but not great. PLUS getting a new bike twice the size of the one had before was a bit scary. I managed to drive right down the driveway of the Harley shop on the day I bought it and dropped it at the end of the driveway. No way did I know how to handle that big of a bike.

Needless to say I tried to get in as much riding as possible before the big trip. I made the trip and put on about 7000 miles that summer, but not before dropping it 11 times. Yes, I was counting! I was humiliated, embarrassed and down right felt like an idiot. But so many nice people were ALWAYS to help my pick it up!

I finally decided to take it home one day and gently lay it down in the driveway so I could learn to pick it up myself. AND I DID IT!!! I was so proud of myself. Not only did I get the confidence I needed to ride better I also realized that I was not the only one.

Since then I have dropped it a few more times. Usually because I am on uneven ground or because I on a hill. But I have watched many others drop theirs also (including my BF), so now I don't feel so bad and I have a lot more confidence also. That makes a difference.

Old 05-08-2014 | 03:35 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Once in Martha's Vineyard I rented a scooter. So we are riding around, sightseeing, whatnot. Arrived to another place, saw the ground was kind of soft for stand, leaned it on a tree instead. So when we get back there in 15 minutes I see two more scooters, both on the ground (it was too soft for stand!), one of them knocked over ours. I was genuinely pissed off, barely got it started before battery went dead with all that odd fuel in the engine.

Old 05-08-2014 | 03:36 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

When I let my gal at the time ride my Sporty. Circa 1997.

Old 05-08-2014 | 03:37 PM
willeb3
3rd Gear
From: On the edge of the country--there are no roads that lead west
Default "Flying" down the highway

Back in 1981, when I was still a young pup, I was riding my new fully loaded FLT on a twisty road in NorCal by a lake. Crossing a bridge at about 45mph, I noticed a guy in a big boxy Dodge coming around a turn toward me and looking out his window as he drifted over into my lane. I leaned hard right to avoid a head-on and then tried to pull it up and left but a few feet beyond the end of the bridge the rear of my front fender caught on the lip of the blacktop and the bike went *** over teakettle launching me into the air. Did you ever dream you were flying? Yeah, well . . .

As I was sailing through the air, I got a mental snapshot of two guys in a Camaro, backed into a dirt lot to my left and facing the road, and the driver gaping at me, mouth open with a can of Bud frozen by his lips. Weird, but true.

I knew I was going to land face first so, since my arms were already extended out in front of me, I tucked and rolled. The bike flew overhead and crashed down in front of me, bouncing back up to come crashing down again. I popped up and did another forward roll, eventually sliding on my left side and kicking at the bike, which was now sliding in front of me down the road, to keep myself from getting caught up in it. I knew those judo lessons would come in handy some day.

We both came to a stop about twenty feet later and I slid to a standing position in the middle of the road. Think sliding into second base. Although I was standing, I started moving legs and arms to make sure everything was still attached, and looked at my bike, laying on its side, engine running and in gear, with the back wheel still spinning under power. My wife and my buddy, both following me on their own bikes, came to a screeching halt behind me.

I was pissed. I flipped the engine run button off, killing the motor and, without waiting for help, put all that adrenaline to work, squatting and lifting my scoot back onto its rubber side. I rolled it onto the dirt lot, the one with the Camaro dudes, and set it on its stand. While I was checking for damage to my bike, the Camaro driver came up and said, "Man, I ain't never seen nothing like that. You want a beer?" I snatched the can of Bud and slammed that bad boy down.

Last point. The only damage to my bike after flipping down the road was scuff marks on the instrument panel from my boot heel, a bent shifter, a ridge in the back of my front fender where it caught the blacktop and my side view mirror was out of adjustment. That's it! I rode the bike home and swore I would never ride anything but a Harley for the rest of my life.

Old 05-08-2014 | 04:11 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Early 2000's. My bike got blown over in the parking lot at work. I just yanked it up to check the damage.
I was still working out with weights regular, so it was no big thang.

Old 05-08-2014 | 04:37 PM
roqnrod
Intermediate

I had a 2007 Street Glide and went to park it in the garage. I park in the left hand corner just inside the door. Well I did not get the kick stand all the way down and it folded up as I eased it over. Well it kept going and I ended up being pinned in the corner of the garage half under the bike. Well my two neighbors saw this happen and came to my rescue. They pulled the bike off of me and I proceeded to remount the bike. They asked if I was ok and I said yes. So as they turn to leave my foot slips and I fall back under the bike in the same position. They can't help but laugh as they pull it off again. This time I put the kick stand down while they held the bike up. We still laugh every time I see them as I am pulling in to the same spot. Only difference is the new 2014 Street Glide in the 07's place.

Old 05-08-2014 | 04:50 PM
413of1900
Cruiser

I personally have dropped every single motorcycle that I have ever owned. The usual method is cleaning or maintenance in the driveway, and letting it lean too far away from me while standing on the sidestand side.
I did manage to drop my 2013 Softail last year with my wife aboard; we had stopped for a hydration break, and as we were leaving, I was angling to enter the roadway when a cager zoomed into the parking lot from my right, cutting across in front of me. We were moving at walking speed, and I automatically grabbed some front brake to avoid a collision, and we were down before I could say "oh $hit". Fortunately, my son was right behind us, and helped me lift the bike off my wife within 15 seconds of us going down. No damage to the bike, my honey only had a HUGE bruise on her arm ( we were wearing protective gear), which she used to full effect for the next week. Her co-workers must have thought me a heartless ba$tard for injuring my honey like that, but she just told them she took one for the team.

Quick Reply: When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?