General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014 | 03:42 PM
dlynch851
Cruiser

little over a month ago...decided to clean the spokes...put the lift underneath the bike was lazy and didn't want to take the sheet covering the bike off...pulled the jack from under to re-position, lifted it up and slightly moved it all with the jack handle and the bike fell off into my wifes sportster about a 2.5/3ft fall

brand new saddlebags i put on my deluxe left side wasted completely left side of apes tweaked and a few nicks on the fender. thought i busted a spoke on the wifes front rim because my handle bar went in between her spokes..lucked out on that one....good times

Old 05-05-2014 | 04:09 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior

Last fall I picked up a street glide for an older fellow who skinned up his hands in the fall.Last spring I picked up my wife's bike after she had crashed.A couple summers ago I picked up a heritage off a guy who had his leg pinned under it.There has been other occasions as well. Each time I grabbed the handlebars with one hand and a frame rail or crash bar with the other hand and lifted. As for one of my own bikes unless someone has pictures, it's never happened.

Last edited by popawcritter; 05-05-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2014 | 06:58 PM
Stegs03
6th Gear

About ten years ago I dropped my Gixxer the second day I had it by getting off with the kickstand only partially down. Tried to save it but it already had the momentum so it hit hard enough to brake the clutch lever and send me to the ground. I got up as fast as humanly possible and scanned the parking lot for the added embarrassment of what I was sure would be an audience. But I was lucky and no one saw (because it's so much worse when someone else see's it). I picked up the bike surveyed the damage and spent the rest of the day feeling shame.

I have had my Street Bob since November and hoping to not have another story like this one for a very long time.

Old 05-05-2014 | 09:00 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior

Two weeks ago I helped some dude on the side of the road lift his bike.... Wasn't too bad.... It just fell over on him when he pulled over on the grass.

Old 05-05-2014 | 10:29 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

Only happened twice. The first doesn't really count as I was hit by a cager and there was nothing left of the bike to pick up.

The second time was about 20 years ago, I made the mistake of installing a Karata 3" open belt drive without a clutch tamer. Was racing a thunderstorm home and pulled into the yard on wet grass. Without the tamer, the clutch didn't fully disengage when I pulled in the lever. To stop moving I grabbed a hand full of front brake and in the wet grass, the front wheel locked up and that's all she wrote. Bike fell over top side down hill. Lemme tell ya, the wet grass, the down hill angle and the 1/2 buzz I had make it a real bitch to stand up that wideglide. Clutch tamer went in the next week.

Old 05-06-2014 | 07:01 AM
Plvs Vltra
Cruiser

Had a Honda Rebel 250's kick stand sink into the ground and topple over at a local rally. I just hefted it up like a piece of paper.

The amusing bit, I was waiting to get my Heritage legal overseas, so my 6'4" 200 lb *** was using this tiny bike in the meantime.

Old 05-06-2014 | 08:26 AM
stmcmann
Cruiser

A couple of weeks ago I was backing my 08 Electra Glide Classic out of my garage, the driveway has a steep incline, it rolled back a little faster than I usually do, leaned over too fast on the right side where I have a below the knee prosthetic leg, the peg-leg slipped as it has no ankle movement, down me and the bike went, scrapped my arm/elbow a little, got my self back out from under the bike, the O/L came out of the house, went to try to get a neighbor to help me, before she got back, I had got back up on my prosthetic leg which was not damaged, grabbed the saddlebag guard and handlebar after making sure the jiffy-stand was extended out, and had the bike back upright before the O/L could get help! Only damage to bike a scraped engine guard and saddlebag guard, if I don't get those replaced, bight smooth those scuffs out and have them powder coated to match the bike. Been riding the bike nearly every day since, no more issues!

Old 05-06-2014 | 11:51 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

A few years back I was at a rally with some buddies and it started pouring rain. One of my friends decides to move his heritage under the shelter of our big tarp. Unfortunately we all had a LOT of refreshments. He proceeded to drop the bike to his right and roll across the ground (which was very muddy). I ran over to help him pick it up and we flipped it over into the mud to the left and both of us went over the bike and into the mud as well. The bike was covered on both sides with mud as were we. Everyone had a good laugh.

Old 05-08-2014 | 02:29 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

A few years ago, we had been on the road all day and came into N. Wilkesboro, NC and decided to stop for the night since it had started to snow. I checked into a motel and sent the wife walking on to the room. I got on the '08 Ultra (this was before I got the sidecar) to move it in front of the room to park for the night. I pulled in, got off and headed for the door to our room and WHAM! Looked around and there it laid flat on the left side. I just forgot the kickstand when I got off. No damage to the bike and bags, but my face burned from embarrassment. Wasn't the first drop, so I knew how to lift it. After I got it up, here comes another couple wanting to know how I did it without any help. So, what did we do?... laid their Fatboy down in the grass and I talked them through the procedure.

Old 05-08-2014 | 02:54 PM
Kelly201
2nd Gear

A friend and I were on Day 1 of a four day ride into Arkansas. We were trying to make it to Arkadelphia for gas and noticed on my Ultra Classic that DTE was at like 10 miles and we were about 20 miles out. I didn't feel like chancing it so we pulled into the closest gas station. I had pulled up to the pumps when I heard a crash to my right. I looked over and my buddy and his brand new Road Glide were both on the ground. I jumped off and ran over to help him lift the bike and asked what happened. He had ran over one of those gas filler plates in the concrete and the round plate had flipped up and got up under his motor knocking him over. At first it didn't look like too much damage until we saw the black puddle forming under his bike. Did I mention it was "brand new". Cracked block told me that our ride was over. I am careful not to run over those filler plates now that I witnessed what happened to him.

Quick Reply: When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?