General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013 | 02:11 PM
jdub099
Road Captain

I've never had to get anything all the way up off the ground.

Once I knocked my Honda CB500 into my Honda CB650 and both were going to fall into my restored 1965 Mustang. Somehow I was able to reach over, grab the 650 and pull them both upright. No damage to anything. Very lucky. The way they were going to fall, would have wiped out the front fender and the door.

I also partially dropped my 2010 Road King. Standing next to it, I rolled it forward a tiny bit because I didn't pull up far enough. Didn't notice the kickstand had gone back up part way, I guess because I still had my helmet on, and let go of the bike. Luckily the engine guard hit a palate I had in my garage so it didn't go down all the way, but my right leg was partially pinned. Managed to muscle it upright, but given the position I was in, it was as close to impossible as it could be without being impossible. Not even a scuff on the engine guard. Afterward I just about hyperventilated trying to get my ****ing helmet off, adrenaline made my fingers not want to work, I guess.

Last edited by jdub099; 11-15-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2013 | 02:16 PM
Bigbob88
Tourer

I had to pick up my 08 Goldwing and it was easy all the weight is down low and then about a year ago I had to pick up my 2011 Electra Glide Limited in the garage with a full tank of gas (6 gal.) and all I know is I don't want to pick it up again. THAT IS ONE HEAVY MOTHER F***ER.

Old 11-15-2013 | 03:25 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

One thing that helps on my 99 Softail Custom is that when I put the stand down I keep forward pressure on it with my foot until the bike is leaned over on it. That way I know it is locked. When I put it on the jack I bungy the stand forward to the engine guard so that when I let it down the stand can't go back. Sometimes it's the little things that make the difference. You would be surprised how quick these things become a habit.

Old 11-15-2013 | 03:56 PM
wayslow
Tourer

A Sportster I owned went down in the dirt parking lot at the side of the waterhole 4 summers ago, kickstand sunk too far down in the dirt, I reckon. There was some members of an antique sports car club parked in the "motorcycles only" area (which is paved) in front of the tav. Friend of mine helped me pick it up, no damage. But we "talked" the sport car guys into going out and dusting it off and moving their rigs.
Before that, I had the same bike down in my garage because I stupidly got off it without putting down the stand. Couldn't keep it up, but was able to let it down kinda slow. Picked it up using the method shown here.

Last edited by wayslow; 11-15-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2013 | 04:11 PM
LS Bob
Road Warrior

September, this year.
Pulled into a parking lot meeting some guys, as I did a u-turn something distracted me and with no freaking clue what I was thinking, I tapped the front brake. Boom.
It seemed to happen in slo-mo though, because I remember thinking as it went over I didn't want to scratch the engine guard. I stuck my right foot under the pegs and she sat there on my foot. Uh, wtf do I do now?
One of the guys I was meeting helped me get her back up, and get my foot free. I felt pretty dumb and have been paranoid about using the front brake ever since.
This was my RKC. Traded her one month later, but that's just a coincidence. Dumping her wasn't her fault!

Old 11-15-2013 | 07:11 PM
acunn1
Road Captain

[quote=hogcowboy;11987311] But I really think a trike is in my future.
This was my thinking as well. I figured I am 57 years old at the time I was considering a new HD..The last one I had was a 81 Wide Glide. This time I wanted more comfort ie. (a dresser) but wasn't sure how much longer I wanted to keep picking mine up. Got my trike and couldn't be happier. Go for it..

Old 11-15-2013 | 08:17 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior

Its been about 6 years. Hopefully no time soon.

Old 11-16-2013 | 08:20 AM
Granpita
Cruiser

Last fall I dropped my fully loaded Road Glide Ultra negotiating a sharp turn in gravel on the way to my campsite. I couldn't pick it up because it didn't have bag guards and there was nothing to grab. The seat edge was too soft. Fortunately, help showed up and the bike was righted without any damage. My other static drop was on my BMW R1200RT and I much prefer to pick that one up. It only flops over maybe 40 degrees and sits on the cylinder head. Getting it upright is easy.

At 70, I have to have a serious discussion with my left leg every time I come to a stop, especially if it's been a while since the last stop.

Old 11-16-2013 | 08:57 AM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior

picked up the wife's scoot last year ..... last time I tell her she can definitely make that tight uphill u turn on a gravel road

Old 11-16-2013 | 09:03 AM
LippCJ7
Cruiser

This past summer My buddies OL was riding with me since my buddy has a Dyna and her back was bothering her after a couple hours, anyway we pulled into a gas station and she jumped off as soon as I stopped, I didn't anticipate it and the bike went over on the bars before I could catch it, she was pretty upset about it but ultimately it was my fault, no serious damage just marks on the bars so no biggie to me...

Oh I picked it up no problem..

Quick Reply: When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?