General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013 | 10:35 AM
turnerbend
Road Captain

Drop my Ultra last summer. I was down on the farm coming up a small hill from a corn field back to the main road, my feet slipped on loose gravels and grass when I stopped. Bike went down on right side. Due to gravel and grass on road, I was unable to upright the bike using the lifting method. Being close to the main highway, a motorist seeing the bike down stopped to check if I was ok and help lift the bike. No damage, no fluid loss.The location that the bike goes down will determine if you can lift a heavy bike using the lifting method......

Old 11-15-2013 | 10:49 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Twistnride
At 65,don't have the double jointed flexibility that a tiny little chick does.With a tiny little Harley. I face the bike (Road King) squat,grabbing the grip and the bag guard,and pick 'er up. Engine guard makes the whole process twice as easy.
You're in better shape than me then. I'm 65 too. Dropped mine at my gate this summer. It's up hill to the gate and down hill to the left and gravel. I could not move that sucker. Called the wife and both of us could not move it. Took a rope and a car to get that thing righted. Don't know if it was the strange angle or the gravel keeping us from getting good footing but I sure don't want to do it again. I started considering a trike conversion as a result. Still recovering from an accident in 2012 January and a bone graft this May didn't help either. But I really think a trike is in my future. That accident(totaled motorcycle) has really taken a lot out of me. At least I'm still riding but having to pick up this brute isn't something I want to have to try again. I used to be able to man handle the thing back up. Well it at that time was an 85 EG so it was a little lighter but would it be so much that I couldn't now? Don't know. Still think trike conversion is just around the corner.

Old 11-15-2013 | 11:08 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

`Lost my footing while trailering my Dyna Superglide in my driveway. `Didn`t even try to lift it with my 71 year old body, but set up a gantry and hoist instead. It was still work setting up that stuff, but at least I didn`t rupture something.

Old 11-15-2013 | 12:49 PM
John Coyle
|
HDF Editor

Originally Posted by Longhair4life
About 8 years ago. Left the disk lock on with no reminder tag. Now by answering this post I just jinxed myself
OK, it sucks but I'm really glad to hear someone else has done this. I felt like the dumbest person in the world when I pulled this move a couple years ago.

Old 11-15-2013 | 12:51 PM
John Coyle
|
HDF Editor

Originally Posted by Hammz
Been a while. Back when I had the '99 Ultra. First week I had that thing I tipped it over in a bank drive-thru. Pinned my right ankle to the ground. Had to lift that sumbitch up enough to pull my leg out, then let her back down. Got up & hopped around on one foot 'til it quit hurtin. Looked over at the window & the teller was sittin there with her mouth wide open & her eyes bugged out. Sucked it up, walked over & managed to set her back up on side stand w/o floppin her over on the left side too. Can't remember if I was more pissed or embarrassed.
Probably equal parts both? That sounds terrible though... Was your ankle OK?

Old 11-15-2013 | 12:53 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

Two years ago, on a low shoulder. Used the technique on the video; piece of cake...

Old 11-15-2013 | 01:24 PM
Hero
Tourer

Back in '04-'05 when vandals kicked my Sporty over while parked. I was so pissed I just yanked it straight up also.

Old 11-15-2013 | 01:30 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Summer 1985 - me and the boys were coolin off 1 stop at a time after work. We pulled into this topless bar and me wantin to be real cool was backin my '81 Lowrider in right beside the front door. Got up and off without putting the kick stand down and it fell over to the left. Almost strained 1 picking it up as the gasoline was running everywhere. I just saddled on up and headed home after that.

Old 11-15-2013 | 01:40 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

One thing for sure, if you drop your bike in sand or gravel where most of them are dropped because your foot slipped, you sure cannot pick it up with your legs as your feet will just slip in that stuff again.

Old 11-15-2013 | 01:48 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dickey
Never dropped a Harley, but hadda pick up my V65 Honda when the kickstand sank into hot asphalt once. I waited 'till after lunch to do it, since it was only rice.

I'm overly cautious when it comes to my Harleys. I think if I dropped one, I'd hafta sell it.
I'm with Dickey...never dropped a Harley. Dropped an old '73 CB350 in gravel once a long time ago when I was first learning to ride a street bike.

I always double check the kickstand and make sure it is down before dismounting, and always check that it is in the notch before walking away from the bike. I won't park on unlevel ground or gravel & if I park on asphalt in the summer I put something under the stand to make sure it doesn't sink in.
Never lost control or balance starting/stopping or moving a bike around either.

Some say lucky, I say I'm overly cautious because scratches and dings/dents on my bike are unacceptable.

Last edited by Sharkman73; 11-15-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?