General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014 | 07:05 PM
gsp
Advanced

My first and only time so far, Yes I'm knocking on wood right now, was 3 years ago. Opened the 6' gates that cross my driveway, started through and someone let the dogs out of the house at the same time I was riding through.
If anyone has ever owned a German short-hair, they wait for the chance to take off.

Im trying to ride the street glide and catch the dog at the same time. Didn't work out so well. I was able to set the bike down with out dropping it while the dog made the dash to the neighborhood.

Thank god for crash bars. Not a scratch. Lifted the bike by myself then chased the dog for 30 minutes. Shes gone now and I still miss her.

Old 06-17-2014 | 07:49 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member

I picked one up a couple of months ago. The neighbor dropped his wife's Sporty while working on it. He had it up on the jack while doing some work on the shocks.

He couldn't get the darn thing back upright because of a bad back. So, I had to go over and get it back up on the jack.

Old 06-17-2014 | 08:40 PM
kirbyblue
Tourer

Friday.. Legs are way to short to back down a ramp.
I usually drop it 2 or 3 times a year.
Once pulled uo with riding friends to the front door of a store. It was closed and I wanted to see the closing time. I stepped off without putting the KICK stand down. I knew it right away and just stepped back. they helped me pick it up when they stopped laughing

Old 11-07-2014 | 10:51 PM
Eliyahu
Stage II
Default Slippery slope

In forty-five years of riding, I've laid my bike down one time. The worst part was that it wasn't glamorous, exciting or boast-worthy. I saw some friends in a parking lot, rode over to where they were and came to a stop. As the bike stopped, I put my foot down in what turned out to be a large patch of grease and oil that I didn't notice. The whole thing was like a slow-motion disaster as my foot slid out from under me and the bike slowly rolled onto its left side. Fortunately, the only thing damaged was my dignity and pride. I thought I would never hear the end of it.

Old 11-07-2014 | 11:37 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

once in May on the side of a road...needed help..and once in my own garage.When I got home from the first lay down I put my bike on it's side in the garage and told the wife it's not leaving until I can pick it up...That was a Road king, I lifted it then bought an Ultra...LOL Needless to say I did not keep that bike long.

Don't worry about the Heritage, I would really have to be out of the moment to drop it.

Old 11-08-2014 | 07:41 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master

Around 5 years ago. I jumped off my sportster without putting kickstand down. Somehow it didn't fall over until I was completely off the bike and a few steps away. I was in a hurry because I had left my keys in the store and needed to run in and grab them. That's the only time I've dropped a bike in 10 years.

Last edited by JohnnyRebKY; 11-08-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-08-2014 | 08:34 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I do it quite often on the Ice Bike ... Whoopee, it's still a lot of fun!

Old 11-08-2014 | 09:57 AM
zigyblu
Advanced

well it has been great reading all of these tragic happenings and while I think back to my own mishaps I can remember the first of five times in my almost 50 years of riding that my bike thought it should be laying down. It was my Honda 500 four with a Hooker header system that I thought sounded real neat back in the early 70's that I had a wild custom paint job done on the bike and my brother in law and i had to go and have a few pops to celebrate the new paint work that was just finished the day before. So now I am wasted to the point that my own cousin is looking good to me that we decide to take ourselves home and as i drive into the yard and stop just in front of the garage door, i climb off the bike and turn and walk away not realizing that i forgot to put down the kickstand and the bike stood there long enough by itself before it finally went over. i was to far away and in no shape to do anything about it even if i was right next to it to save it. my brother in law picked it up and i went into the house to sleep it off. that was the last time that i drank beer and i gave up drink all together shortly there after. the bike had a broken clutch lever and left side mirror and me a terrible headache the next day and major shame in my lack of control.

Old 11-08-2014 | 10:17 AM
zigyblu
Advanced

my 2nd mishap was in the late 80's when out in the middle of the street in front of my buddies house and my wife on the back of my 82 FLH my zippo lighter falls out of my shirt pocket down to the street and I say to myself i can just bend over and reach it, no problem. now i'm 5' 7" and weigh about 160 at the time so not giving it more thought than that i reach for it to my left and down my left leg it slides. no damages anywhere other than to my pride for being dumb in the first place. the wife jumped off as it was going down some how and the laugh factory broke out in unison.I got off and just gave it a hefty yank by the handle bars till I got it up to my hip and just got it back up. I was red in the face over that. I had been rearended twice by cars while stopped and didn't have the bike go down but to be stopped with both feet firmly on the ground and have that happen, well stuff happens.

Old 11-08-2014 | 11:14 AM
zigyblu
Advanced

I had my 93 flhtc for 15 years and never came close to it going down but now I have a bad shoulder that hampers my reach and right arm strength to the point that I have been making adjustments on my 09 flhtci like lower rear shocks, 1 inch, seat modification, three quarter to an inch and this coming spring front end lowering 1 inch. this year this bike has gone down three times without any damage at all. first time cut off just as i was pulling away from the gas pumps an elderly woman pulls in front of me, it's grab the front break and down she goes in slow motion to my left as my wife who is also on the bike is going over me and the two of us are on the ground. I tried to hold it up the best that I could to the point that I strained a muscle or two but couldn't do it so it went down. I was pissed and had it back up and righted pretty quick and a follow came over to see if we were alright which was nice of him. The woman took off to who knows where and my wife was a little shaken but otherwise ok and I just wanted out of there. I was a little hot to say the least. first because someone created a situation that i couldn't control and my wife could have gotten seriously hurt. the hundred mile ride home gave me time to cool down but I did a lot of thinking. the second time was a couple of weeks later in a gravel parking lot down in Pa where i was trying to make too tight of a left handed u turn and the front wheel just lost it's grip point in the gravel which there is none and down it went. One of my riding buddies helped get it back up really pretty quick, remember the bum shoulder. I just shook my head and now i try to stay away from the loose gravel lots if i can. the last time was a week later as i was backing it out of the garage with my monte carlo parked off to the side i'm going to back the bike up to turn it around in front of the car which is backed into the driveway, so as i'm turning it to my left and backing up while sitting on it my left foot hits this little twig right under my left boot and it acts like a friggen rolling pin and my left leg goes out straight and down my left side she goes. So assuming the position on the side of the bike with right hand on the left grip and left hand on the crash bar in front of left saddle bag I do the lift but my leg is in too far as i am lifting i can feel something is scraping my right calve muscle to the point there was a pretty good bruise there for a few weeks. strained my right arm also but i'm all healed and the bike is fine. you would never know that it has been down 3 times this year by looking at it. I am going to get this puppy where it needs to be because i do not want to ride a trike. It's a bitch getting old and i am not going to quit riding.

Quick Reply: When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?