General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014 | 07:08 AM
oneshotoopsmytoe
Novice

My drop was in Nov. My 2014 was 1 day old. I got off the bike and went to place my helmet on the handlebars. The damn thing then tipped over. I stood there in amazement and continued to place my helmet on the bars with the bike on its side.

A couple of people came over and helped me right the bike. Whenever I put down my kickstand it took a chunk out of the asphalt and then folded up. New asphalt I guess. First time that has happened. Still embarrassing.

Old 05-17-2014 | 08:55 AM
Great White
Intermediate

I tried to jack my honda shadow 750 up in a way that I knew I shouldn't have been doing. Ended up tipping it over in the garage. No damage except for a slightly bent footpeg. Quickly looked around to see if any of the neighbors saw it, and picked it up. That thing was heavy. I'd hate to have to pick up my street bob if it ever went down, let alone a bagger. That's probably what I get for being built like a toothpick.

Old 05-17-2014 | 10:47 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member

A couple months ago my bike beat the kick stand to the ground on a bck road. A guy on a horse asked if I needed help I said "Nah I seen a 110lb girl pick up one of these on YouTube.......

I struggled for a few minutes then said ...umm yeah I need help. It was only a FLHR.
I rode home put the bike down on its right side and told the wife I was not leaving that garage until I could get the bike up and on it's stand by myself. I did it but really don't want to do it again. So what did I do?

I bought a FLHTCU LOL and I am NOT going to do the same. I WILL seek help.

Oh and I told him if his horse ever fell over I would be glad to help//

Old 05-18-2014 | 05:13 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member

When I had my first Harley, a 1990 Fatboy, I went to get some fast food and got off the bike with the kickstand down. I thought to myself"Hey, going on a road trip tomorrow, you ought to check the oil level tonight and grab a quart now instead of rushing around tomorrow morning". So I get back on the bike and instinct caused me to pull the kickstand in when I righted the bike to check the oil level. After checking, I got off not realizing i had pulled the kickstand up and the Fatboy started heading down. I was in much better shape then, and caught it as the the the highway pegs (that were in place of the stock floor boards) hit the ground, and they had a minor scratch from the contact.

Old 05-18-2014 | 06:17 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior

1986, slipped leaving driveway uphill turn in cold dew on country road. 1980 CBX, scuffed underside of exhaust

Old 06-01-2014 | 02:22 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Last week I was invited to ride with a bunch of guys for the 1st time. There were about a dozen of us and we were headed to our destination and as I had a GPS I was stuck out front to lead. The very first corner was a banked road to the right and a stop sign. The stop sign had a sign that said "unless you are turning right" which I didn't notice until the last second. So anyway I had the bike turned right, front and rear brakes gently on. A car appeared on the left (it had a stop sign and was stopping) I let go of the rear brake. but with noticing the sign, the car, looking left turning right all at the same time forgot about the front brake (or something like that) anyway the bike starts to go down on the right side and there is no way for me to stop it! So down it goes in front of a dozen guys that I am just meeting for the first time. Can you picture a line of guys side by side all leaning in to get a look at what the commotion is all about, and of course all laughing!! I wanted to crawl under a rock!!!

Old 06-01-2014 | 06:18 AM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior

Probably the last time I went to the motocross track.

Old 06-04-2014 | 07:09 PM
sixty7flh
Cruiser
Default at least it made it through the trip

me and my son just took one of those "memorable moment" trips; I rode my 67fl and put him on my 07flstsc. We put a casual 1000, never getting on a highway, and camping very primitive. It was great times. The old un even made it great! (me and the bike!) anyway. only a few days after our return, I was on the new one, and someone pulled RIGHT out in front of me. I mean RIGHT too. I was already IN the intersection and the car coming at me that was also in the intersection decided to go left! Well, I would not CLAIM to know what to do or possibly answer a quiz on it, but I think I did the best thing; I layed 'er down. I left the bike. not sure exactly what or how, but Both my hips are scraped, my left elbow badly bruised, and top right forehead bleeding?! I looked up (from the intersection) and I see my scoot back up and rolling on it's own in the grass to the right of the road till the floorboards dug in and it came to a stop some 60 feet from me! And the perpetrator took off too! For a wreck, it could not have gone better. (just no wreck that day!) I rode off on the bike after an hour dealing with the cops EMT's etc.... whew!

Old 06-04-2014 | 08:25 PM
Wheels24
Road Captain

A few years ago when I crashed my dirt bike in Greenridge State Forest...my sons thought it was hilarious...they now live in a van down by the river...

Old 06-17-2014 | 02:25 PM
flyboyron
Road Warrior

Well, it was about 4 years ago. A friend wanted to go ride in the mountains in February, and there was still snow on the ground in some places.
We decided to take the Goldwings instead of the Harleys. We were riding around a parking lot, I was leading, when I came to a sloped area and some ice/snow. So I stopped and looked at the situation to pick my lines to ride.
Well, I started out slowly, not using the brakes, just coasting, and hit the ice. The bike slid over to the left and down onto the crash bars. We (did I forget to tell you my wife was on the bike also?) slid, picking up speed and then all of a sudden with such a force I never knew existed, the bike high sided to the right. Hanging on to the handlebars, the bike threw me in the air and off the bike across the road and onto the snow. My wife kept her arms and feet in and stayed on the bike. After getting up and checking my wife, I walked around the bike. It was completely on its side, resting on the right mirror and right rear crash bar...that was it.
I thought I should get the camera and take a picture since I would never see that sight again, and before I knew it, gas started pouring out, so I put the side stand down and picked it up enough to get it back on the crash bars, then lifted with my legs like I was taught and got it back up to the side stand.
Only thing broken was the right mirror, and then a boot mark where my left foot scraped along the left side of the bike as was thrown into the air. I tell my pilot friends that I went riding, flying, and played in the snow all within 5 seconds. LOL

Quick Reply: When's the Last Time You've Had to Pick up a Bike?