General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wearing-in new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:43 AM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wearing-in new tires?

First ride on brand new tires (SHINKO SR733 & 734) was a little funky. I'm only guessing at the cause at the moment but both tires (especially the front) are coverd with what looks like whiskers (@ 1/4" to 3/8" high) and a littel excess rubber at the center seam from the molds. The bike had a very unsteady feel not just in turns but also gong in a straight line. Felt like they wanted to steer the bike in opposite directions.
Made me feel a bit timid going around corners although it never really felt slippery or at a loss for traction - just "squirrely" would be a good way to describe it. I actually considered a less-experienced rider might have lost control or dropped it at some point.

Double checked all mechanicals and pressures after initial test ride & everything appeared OK. There's probaby only about 10 miles on them right now.
Kept cruising around town and (for the most part) this "sqirreliness" began to diminish as the rubber got more scrubbed-in. I don't recall other new sets (DUNLOP or METZLERS) causing this before. In fact, the first time I put a set of METZLERS on this bike it was a 200% improvement in ride, feel and handling over the orignal DUNLOPS. Absolute zero wear-in period.
If anyone else has experienced wearing-in issues with SHINK or any other new tire please share. If anything real weird happens today I'll post.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:03 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,578 Likes on 5,090 Posts

wear in new tires? never heard of it.......new tires should be ready to go at the get go....maybe they forgot to balance your rims?

Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,118 Likes on 3,656 Posts

What pressures are you running, what the Bike recommends or what the tires recommend?

Old 11-10-2013, 10:12 AM
exemexer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
What pressures are you running, what the Bike recommends or what the tires recommend?
Tires recommend 41 but I've always run 35 front and 38 rear on other brands. If it persists or doesn't continue to improve I'll go with the recommended pressure, see what that does.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 AM
exemexer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
wear in new tires? never heard of it.......new tires should be ready to go at the get go....maybe they forgot to balance your rims?
They're balanced.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:17 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,264 Likes on 22,616 Posts

Shinko tires are junk IMO.
I had the rear for my softail and the tread started to separate.
Watch em'.
You'll be lucky if you get much over a year on them, especially the rear.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Mold release is most likely coating your tires making them slick. Be careful in turns until that stuff is gone. Seen many a bike laid down because of it.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Dbaudio
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rwhisen is absolutely correct. My tire guy strongly advises everyone as they leave his shop with new tires to be very careful for 10 or 20 miles until the slippery mold release compound wears off.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 80 Posts

New tires have a coating on them so they keep that "new rubber" look in the showroom. My dunlops were the same way. I have always been told to take it easy cornering untill the coating has worn off. Different companies coat them differently so it varies from brand to brand how long it will take. My indy guy will actually rub new tires with alchohol after mounting them to get some of it off.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Mold release and other coatings on new tires. Shinkos are good tires, they just have an ample bit of release agent. If you are so inclined, use a green scotchbrite pad to scuff them up a bit. Best solution is to just ride.

Quick Reply: Wearing-in new tires?