General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wearing-in new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,120 Likes on 3,658 Posts

HD test tires for the bikes more than they use to. But it's about money and image. As long as the capacity spec and correct size is met you can use whatever brand and mix bias ply and/or radials on a Harley, hell,some even came llike that from the factory.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 AM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
I did not read any farther than this so excuse me if I repeat anything else said before me.

You have too little air in them. Shinko tires need more air! If I run my 777s at them pressures they run just like that. Ignore the they are junk, trash, throw them away responses you probably got already. They are darn good tires!

Here is how you find out what psi to run your tires for YOU. Drop the max psi on the sidewall by 10%, go ride 30 miles, get them fully warmed up and measure your psi on a fully warm tire. If you have less than a 10% gain in psi from cold to hot then drop a few more psi when they are fully cold and remeasure. When you get to a cold psi that gives you 10% more psi fully warm you have found the psi YOU need to run for YOUR bike tire combo.

You are running the tires dangerously low. Pump them up! The added heat you generate running that low is going to wear any tire out in 2-3K miles bro.

This should be done EVERY time you replace tires, even if they are the same exact tires you had on it before the change.

Dont listen to the the tires are trash posts, all it is is people trying to justify their pointless spending of extra money for bragging rights. Them are fine tires and will perform as good and better than some tires 2-3x what you paid for them tires.

Good luck and let me know how that works out for you. Might take 3-4 days to get it right but when you do you will be so happy.
OK, Let's see if I'm understanding this. I need to find the low psi that brings the tires to sidewall (recommended) psi after warm-up? If I set them too low when cold they will build up more heat therefore exceeding sidewall psi?
I checked pressure after riding home yesterday from work (@ 30 minutes) and found it to be right at 40 psi (41 is recommended). This morning (cold) I'm reading 35. So it looks like I'm about there. Might could go 36 cold, Right?
Everything feels ok , not at all like they did cold first time out Saturday. Front still looks like it needs more scrubbing-in though, so I'm still taking it easy and will continue to monitor pressures.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by exemexer
OK, Let's see if I'm understanding this. I need to find the low psi that brings the tires to sidewall (recommended) psi after warm-up? If I set them too low when cold they will build up more heat therefore exceeding sidewall psi?
I checked pressure after riding home yesterday from work (@ 30 minutes) and found it to be right at 40 psi (41 is recommended). This morning (cold) I'm reading 35. So it looks like I'm about there. Might could go 36 cold, Right?
Everything feels ok , not at all like they did cold first time out Saturday. Front still looks like it needs more scrubbing-in though, so I'm still taking it easy and will continue to monitor pressures.
I would take it up to 36 minimum and even try 37. You do not need to find the psi to bring it up to the sidewall psi. Its just an easy way to figure out where to start. If dropping 10% off max does not bring you up to the sidewall psi hot then you have too much air

You are close. I would add a couple psi at 37 and see how it works. From what you told me it sounds about right. At 35psi you should be at a little over 38 fully warm so you are a tad light on psi to get it at 40 fully warm. An exact 10% increase will take a gauge that does tenths of pounds too. If I get 9% I take it over 11%. rather be on the cooler side than warmer.

I am very happy you are getting a better ride now. I also notice my Shinko fronts take a little longer to wear in. You wont get uber miles from them. I get 8-9K but they perform so good wet and dry. Better than most big name brands and only the top multi compound tires would be worth paying more.

Try the 777 next. Straightest tracking best performing wet/dry tire I have put on my bike. They look great too.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:13 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Release Agents

My Michelin Pilot Road IIIs took about three full heat cycles to get rid of the mold release agents form manufacturing them. Work great now.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 AM
exemexer
Road Warrior

Outside temps will probably dictate amount of heat build-up I'm guessing. The temps are all over the place here during the fall & winter. So it could require constant adjustment to maximize tire life. Spring & summer are easy - it goes from warm to hot and just stays hot from about late May to mid-late September.
I appreciate the info, good stuff to know - will keep ya'll toasted.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 626 Posts

Make sure they didn't put it on backwards......stranger things have happened.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:35 PM
LippCJ7
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just be a little more careful wearing in the front, losing the front can drop you pretty fast, the rear is more forgiving, I think everyone with decent experience has dirt tracked it at one time or another.

As for the tire pressure, I wouldn't mess with it much until you get the tires worn in properly, you could be thinking you need more or less air when in reality your front is still working the new tire off, So make sure you aren't chasing your tail. I am typically a pretty aggressive rider and will wear the new tires off pretty quickly but only you know how you ride so its hard for us to answer this for you, you have to make your own decisions here.

Once you have some miles you will know what tire pressure these new tires need for your riding style, then you will have a good baseline when you replace them, right now its a learning experience for you, we all go through it when we switch tire brands.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the brand you bought, I know I am particular to brands but again that's due to my riding style, I prefer stickier tires that may not last as long where as some do not ride as aggressively and prefer a tire with more longevity, one tire is not better then the other just that one tire is designed for one purpose not the other, sort of like snow tires for your car as opposed to summer, if you are the guy that likes to cruise for miles on your bike and are not interested in slamming your bike in the twisties you are perfect for testing new tires for longevity, be sure to let us know how it all works out.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by piper59
Make sure they didn't put it on backwards......stranger things have happened.
That's the first thing I checked before putting them in the truck. They're right.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LippCJ7
I think everyone with decent experience has dirt tracked it at one time or another.
This brings an interesting thought to mind. I'd love to have an alternate set of rims with some knobbies mounted and take this thing flat tracking somewhere. Talk about some fun! I'm sure the motor would be right at home with it.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:48 PM
cb7263
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put Michelin Commander II's on my FLHTK. I'm hopin they'll last longer then the Dunlops did. I got 12,400 out of em. I probably could have gone a couple thousand more, but it's the rainy season here and didn't want to take any chances.

Quick Reply: Wearing-in new tires?