General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:26 PM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with windshield

I installed a Memphis Shade El Paso windshield on my 05 1200C and took it for the first ride yesterday. it was great for keeping the cool air off my chest until I hit 50mph and above then it felt like my head was in a paint mixer from all the wind. Is there any type of attachement to install on the top to slip stream the air away.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:44 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Help with windshield

I don't know of any attachments. One thing I've learned off others in the forum is that it's possible the wind is coming up from under the windshield. Next time you're out take your left forearm and place it across your chest. Move it around a little and see if that makes a noticeable difference. Hopefully you can make some adjustments to the angle it's mounted on your bike.

Also, if you wear a half helmet (especially with visor) or any loose fitting helmet that could be the cause of your problem.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:54 PM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

With my shield If I wear my helmet I get buffering. Without it I don't. If it is your head thats getting the buffering the shield may be too short. As suggested above adjust your angle.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:56 PM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain

Whaap,
Thanks for the info. So if it's coming from underneath the windshield I take it there's nothing I can do about it.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:13 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some of the bigger bikes have "lowers" that can be attached. They're little wings that attach on each side. There's nothing available for the Sportster that I'm aware of.

I have the Harley quick detach on my 05 1200 C and in the summer if I ride with my Shoei 1/2 helmet it can be a problem. That's one of the reasons that Summer or Winter when I'm taking a highway trip I wear my well fitting Nolan full face. Everything works well then. I only wear the Shoei during the heat of Arizona summers when riding around town at slower speeds.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:35 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WVICEMAN,

I posted this about 2 weeks ago regarding buffeting. Let us know if you solve this problem. Also, how do you feel about the amplified motor noise with a shield?
Jack

"I bought a Del Rio (19"x 15") Memphis Shade for my FXST to catch the dang Yellow Jackets come this summer and to keep to cold blast of my chest in the winter, but I can't get the helmet buffeting to stop. I'm 5'6". I made a little jig before I bought the shade and convinced myself that 15" tall was exactly at my nose. The shade also has about 2 inches of up/down flexibility on the forks. I spent about 3 hours on Saturday adjusting the height and/or the angle and I just can't stop the buffeting. It's too bad 'cause I think the black to clear gradient shade complements my black FXST. I think a Memphis Shade would also compliment a Train.

The sun came out yesterday. I popped the shade off and a buddy and I put about 60 miles on yesterday.

Even if I can figure out how to omit/reduce the buffeting, I hate the extra motor noise that bounces off the shield and right back in your face. Sounds like your in a dang tunnel.

So I may sell the shade, start wearing a goose down vest under the leather in the winter and start carrying a fly swatter in the summer :-)"

Old 03-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you cut it down enough so the wind is in your face, you get no buffeting.
It's nice this way too because you don't overheat in the summer.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:27 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

Whaap,
You're absolutely right that the wind direction causing the helmet buffeting for me, is coming from below. I put the shield back on this morning and rode to work. Once I reach about 45mph the buffeting starts. If I raise my left hand up to my face and move it up over my helmet, it feels like the wind is just barely skipping off the top of my helmet, which would indicate to me that the shield height is perfect. So I raised my entire harm across my chest as you suggested and sure enough the buffeting stopped for the most part. I must have looked pretty stupid to the cagers riding my bike with my left arm up like I was about to salute or looking like was riding with a Napoleon like posture.

Guess I'm off to search for the little side wing things.
Jack

Old 03-14-2007, 05:07 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master

I'm working through a buffeting issue as well. The disturbed air flowing over a shield seems to be a given. The lowers may help, but basically you want to get just under that rough air or have it flow at about shoulder level. Lowering or raising an inch or two seemed to make no difference. Neither did changing the tilt angle.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:36 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

When I moved my shield all the way up, which is about an 1" higher and puts the top of the shield right at my eye line, I can feel the wind over the shield move over my head even higher then before, but the buffeting got worse, which didn't make any sense to me at the time. But now that I know the offensive wind is coming from below the shield, I was letting more air in under the shield by raising it.

Looking at the Memphis Shades on-line again today, I think I should have bought the Memphis Fats, still a good looking low profile wind sheild. I don't think the lowers are going to work very well with the Del Rio sport sheild I have now.

Before I give up on the sheild, I'm going to try one more thing. I've been wearing a 3/4 helmet with a face shield since it's been so dang cold and now that I know the buffeting I'm getting is coming from below the shield, I'm sure the wind is bouncing off my face shield causing the buffeting. So before I go and sell the sheild, I'll ride tomorrow with my 1/2 helmet and see if the buffeting stops. I don't mind wind in the face, actually I love it, I just want to keep the dang bees off of me this summer.