General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:34 PM
barefootsailing
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem

Bought a used 2003 Heritage from my local dealer. After I rode it home I gave it a "once over". Found both tire pressures around 20psi.Filled them to 36/40 ( she always rides on the back).The bike had a "used bike safety check" by the dealer. They replaced the battery but never checked the tire press I guess.
I didn't make a big deal out of it
Just got my bikeback from 25,000 mile check.I rode it home and gave it a look over again. I checked the oil and it was way overfilled. I drained 1/2 qt out to get it to the top full mark.I also found the rubber ring around the aircleaner cover not seated properly. I removed the cover and cleaned some sand out of the rubber ring and cleaned the inside of the aircleaner cover(the filter was new). Then we rode the bike to Daytona for the last weekend of bike week.We returned yesterday and I now noticed fluid leaking out of the primary chain inspection cover (top screw has fluid running down it). Could this also be an overfill or maybe they used the old gasket or didn't clean the area properly?
This bike had NO leaks prior to the 25,000 mile check.
I'm leaving town for 1 1/2 weeks. When I return I'll ride the bike to the local Harley dealer, ask for the service manager and be very calm and explain to him my experienced with the service department so far. If he had a good response, then fine. If not then I'll file a complaint with Harley, Better business, and copy and expand this bost in the bad dealer section of this website. My wife has also bought me the yellow sears bike lift, I've bought a service manual and a fix my hog DVD.
My "issue" now is this. Why the hell does Harely put up with this kind of crap with their dealers. I just spent two hours paging through the "bad dealer" section on this forum. A few post I expect, but not pages and pages. I know they sell a lot of bikes, but still no excuse. I've had several friend that have had lousy dealer experiences also.
They seem to have adopted the attitude that US car dealers had many years ago.
Harley has a Problem. If their not careful, Honda, Victory and others will pull the carpet out from under them.
I love my Harley. But the key for me is having a ongoing good experience from the time sale on.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:39 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,116 Likes on 357 Posts
Default RE: Problem

sounds like you need to find another dealer, I wouldnt put up with tthat, and go tell them what you think. I doubt a complaint to harley would do any good. word of mouth would be the best offense I think. Good luck, but I would be very leary about having them do any more work. Especially if you have to look over their shoulder. JMO

Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several issues that I see here. One is that the general level of customer service in thiscountry is at an all time low. When was the last time you left any business with a smile about how you were treated? Another is that there seems to be very little oversight going on at the dealerships anymore. You have some young technicians at alot of the dealers and I haven't seen any form of a quality check on any of my receipts. Maybe it is there and I'm just not smart enough to find it, who knows. Also, with the volume of bikes they turn around nowadays in the dealerships, you can bet that some things will be overlooked/ done poorly. Since popularity is at an all time high, that also means that service calls will be at an all time high as well.

My personal opinion is that if you want it done right, do it yourself. The only time I take my bike to the dealer is for problems that I can't handle at this time. Mainly EFI. I can do just about anything else.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:19 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Checkaround and see if you have any independents in the area that services Harleys. In general I think their attitude toward their customers and trying to get repeat business is much better than the average Harley shop.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
IOMC Qball
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: barefootsailing

Bought a used 2003 Heritage from my local dealer. After I rode it home I gave it a "once over". Found both tire pressures around 20psi.Filled them to 36/40 ( she always rides on the back).The bike had a "used bike safety check" by the dealer. They replaced the battery but never checked the tire press I guess.
I didn't make a big deal out of it
Just got my bikeback from 25,000 mile check.I rode it home and gave it a look over again. I checked the oil and it was way overfilled. I drained 1/2 qt out to get it to the top full mark.I also found the rubber ring around the aircleaner cover not seated properly. I removed the cover and cleaned some sand out of the rubber ring and cleaned the inside of the aircleaner cover(the filter was new). Then we rode the bike to Daytona for the last weekend of bike week.We returned yesterday and I now noticed fluid leaking out of the primary chain inspection cover (top screw has fluid running down it). Could this also be an overfill or maybe they used the old gasket or didn't clean the area properly?
This bike had NO leaks prior to the 25,000 mile check.
I'm leaving town for 1 1/2 weeks. When I return I'll ride the bike to the local Harley dealer, ask for the service manager and be very calm and explain to him my experienced with the service department so far. If he had a good response, then fine. If not then I'll file a complaint with Harley, Better business, and copy and expand this bost in the bad dealer section of this website. My wife has also bought me the yellow sears bike lift, I've bought a service manual and a fix my hog DVD.
My "issue" now is this. Why the hell does Harely put up with this kind of crap with their dealers. I just spent two hours paging through the "bad dealer" section on this forum. A few post I expect, but not pages and pages. I know they sell a lot of bikes, but still no excuse. I've had several friend that have had lousy dealer experiences also.
They seem to have adopted the attitude that US car dealers had many years ago.
Harley has a Problem. If their not careful, Honda, Victory and others will pull the carpet out from under them.
I love my Harley. But the key for me is having a ongoing good experience from the time sale on.
Barefoot, Ur right on track. If you aren't satisfied with the response and service you get from your local dealer...go straight to Harley and file a corporate complaint.I garn'tee they get you taken care of and the dealer will be advised to get his problems straightened out.This is my experience going that route

Old 03-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you from my dealings if I have to check behind you each time**** I DO NOT NEED YOU****
Dealers need your money to survive, what do you need? Without a fair exchange it is just charity and it don't start at my stealer I am sure of that.