General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you wear helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007 | 10:44 PM
okieblue62
|
Tourer
Default How many of you wear helmets?

I was always a big fan of helmets back in my ricer days. Now that I'm in the Harley world I notice not many of you wear helmets.

What was your choice and how did you decide that they were just not for you?

Old 03-11-2007 | 10:49 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Default RE: How many of you wear helmets?

ummm, I think the majority of HD riders do wear helmets. Even is states where it is not forced upon you, riders still wear them.

Old 03-11-2007 | 10:56 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: thrillseeker

ummm, I think the majority of HD riders do wear helmets. Even is states where it is not forced upon you, riders still wear them.
I always wear a full face. If nothing else protects me from bugs and bumble bees [8D]

Old 03-11-2007 | 11:00 PM
undrdog
Intermediate

I wear a full face helmet that is a true no fog design. Is warm when riding in freezing temps.It also stops bugs, bee's and rain from bothering me. I feel safer wearing a full helmet even though it limits my field of view a little. Also my state has mandatory helmet laws. I would still wear one ifI had the option though. I was broadsided in anunmarked intersection years ago by a wrecker. Spent some time in the hospital for that. Driver never saw me..........

Old 03-11-2007 | 11:01 PM
16over
Road Master

Don't wear 'em, Don't like 'em. Thankfully here in Illinois its my CHOICE. I grew up ina motorcylecommunity that mostly did not wear helmets, so I was brought up that way.

I have nothing against those that do. I just don't think that you should be forced to, but I also don't think that they should be able to force us to wear a seatbelt. It's my LIFE, it should be my CHOICE!

Let those that RIDE, DECIDE!

HELMET LAWS SUCK

Old 03-11-2007 | 11:02 PM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: okieblue62

I was always a big fan of helmets back in my ricer days. Now that I'm in the Harley world I notice not many of you wear helmets.

What was your choice and how did you decide that they were just not for you?
No helmet law here. Don't wear one unless I have to. Most people I ride with don't either. I've seen all the stats for and against ... for me ... I don't like them.

Oh ... I see where thrillseeker says most Harley riders do, not true... only when they have to.

Old 03-11-2007 | 11:04 PM
chopperz71
Road Master

Yep, and I don't have to in Oklahoma. Wife and two little kids. You get the picture.

Old 03-11-2007 | 11:04 PM
ironmike41
Cruiser

I usually don't wear a helmet unless it's cold out. Keeps my face from freezing. I do get alot of slack from my grandkids about not wearing one though. Kinda makes it hard not to wear one when they ask you too.

Old 03-11-2007 | 11:06 PM
16over
Road Master

I think that I agree with Panhead_1_9_4_8. I don't think that most do, but you are seeing it a lot more, but its a different group of riders these days. IMHO

Old 03-11-2007 | 11:08 PM
Jameson
Road Captain

I have to, being Military, if you are caught on post without one then all hell breaks loose. And if you get into an accident without one, or without a freakin longsleeve shirt/jacket on, insurance wont cover the bills.. BASTARDS!! LOL.

Quick Reply: How many of you wear helmets?