General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you wear helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007 | 08:04 AM
pahunter
Advanced
Default RE: How many of you wear helmets?

Have been riding since1966 have always worn a fullface. Bugs and cold wind. Ride Safe Doug

Old 03-15-2007 | 09:12 AM
oscarg
Road Captain

IF I don't my wife nags

Old 03-15-2007 | 10:08 AM
geargrinder
Road Master

Many like to use statistics to make a point but I wonder how many times a helmet prevented an occurance to become a statistic. One of many examples I could state is when my friend lost control on a curve, went sliding down the road on his back and wore a hole in the back of his helmet. We picked he and his bike up and it never got to become a statistic.

Old 03-15-2007 | 10:21 AM
bronk
Road Master

Being witness to people killed, I wear a helmet.Its not cool being dead.Full Face, all the time.Keeps the bugs a grit out of your face as well.

Old 03-15-2007 | 12:05 PM
1200babe
Tourer

here in Calif everyone wears them due to state laws. I have been noticing lately though that a lot more riders are wearing full face helmets- especiallythose that are commuting in heavy traffic areas. I also note that more riders are using armour style jackets and more are using gear that is reflectorized. The other morning I rode up behind 2 other bikers- one on a sportbike with mega reflective stripes on his helmet and jacket, the other a full dresser HD with rider all in black and black bike- only thing lighted was his tail light- the rest of both he and his bike just kind of disappeared in the darkness while I could clearly see the sport rider. I think refeltive stuff is pretty important as I want to be seen.

Old 03-15-2007 | 12:24 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

Years ago, and in another life, I was a LEOand in the early 60's I saw a biker without a helmet that slid head first into a street curb. He was more than dead. Even though there were no helmet laws at the time I've worn a helmet ever since.

To those that are between deciding I will say this: At first it seems odd as hell to wear a helmet. Change is often awkward and difficult. Wear it long enough and you won't want to even go around the corner without having one on. Try it.

Old 03-15-2007 | 03:56 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: whaap

Years ago, and in another life, I was a LEOand in the early 60's I saw a biker without a helmet that slid head first into a street curb. He was more than dead. Even though there were no helmet laws at the time I've worn a helmet ever since.

To those that are between deciding I will say this: At first it seems odd as hell to wear a helmet. Change is often awkward and difficult. Wear it long enough and you won't want to even go around the corner without having one on. Try it.
ouuuuch that must of been gruesome? your point very well stated.

Old 03-15-2007 | 05:42 PM
Roadrocket
Cruiser

My head ain't much to look at but it's the onlyone I got. To me it's just good judgement -for me anyway.
RR

Old 03-15-2007 | 05:42 PM
jackj
Banned

I may not wear the the jacket out west in Aug, but pretty much agree per below. I've just seen just too many heads broken open in my past life, trust me it ain't pretty, especially when you have to use a wedding band for the wife to identify ya.

ORIGINAL: themadscientist

Helmet, boots, Gloves leather jacket and at the minimum jeans. I take my body's well-being seriously and the curb doesn't show any love.

Old 03-15-2007 | 05:59 PM
Bluerose

I have 2 helmets (3/4 and full) and working on getting a third (half).....always wear one, not just because it is the law, I like my head

When commuting 3/4 with face shield or full face, leather or light armored jacket, Jeans/chaps, gloves. Weekend sometimes no jacket and 3/4 (though I have stolen Hubby's Acc a few times now and I am liking it ), gloves.

Hubby on the other hand likes his Full face all the time..it's just how he is most comfortable..since he doesn't have a windshieldhe doesn't wear theACC as much yet....but he hasn't had it for summer riding yet either.

Quick Reply: How many of you wear helmets?