General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you wear helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007 | 03:31 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: How many of you wear helmets?

ORIGINAL: LOTHAR

ORIGINAL: 99superglide

I wear a helmet 99% of the time. Someone in this thread said something about the pros and cons of helmets. What are the cons?????
Restricted peripheral vison and hearing. Aesthetics which is one of the resons I ride. By that I mean overall comfort on a warm day. Shorts, tennies and tank top versus chaps, helmet and gloves for me. What a great country (yet) where you have a choice.
I hardly ever wear a helmet anymore and the more left wing LIBERALS that get elected, the less choice we will have with everythingalong with a whole lot less money in our pockets.

Old 03-13-2007 | 04:04 PM
NYNickET
Road Captain

Full Face always on the high ways

shortie round town

nada, when i'm shooting round the corner but the cops give ya trouble fer that.

Old 03-13-2007 | 04:25 PM
UltraPassenger
Road Captain

I always wear one even when I don't have to. Coming from someone who was in a highside spill about two years ago....I remember beginning to wreck and grabbing the bars on my seat (passenger) then I don't remember anything until my shoulder hit the grass, my head popped the ground hard, and I was tumbling and sliding. As soon as I stopped sliding I jumped up to see where that big bike was going. But the guy behind us said when I was ejected from the seat I cleared the top of the windshield. Its funny the things you remember so clearly...I remember the texture of the grass as I was hauling *** across it. All I can say was the Lord was with us both that day. May he always ride with us and all of you. But to each his own. Hubby doesn't wear one when he doesn't have to. His butt hit first which might explain why he doesn't.

Old 03-13-2007 | 04:47 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior

To each his own, but aside from when i'm scooting around the block (literally) when I'm just running her a bit, I always wear a helmet.

Laws aside, I'vebeen in enough bike accidents and always (thankfully) walked away because of the helmet. Granted its a bit less comfortable, but then so is the ICU.

Old 03-13-2007 | 05:00 PM
Pacemaker
Road Captain

I have two helmets one is a full face modular helmet that I only use in very cold or rainy weather the other is a skull cap that I wear in states that require them. [/align][/align]

Old 03-14-2007 | 01:16 AM
oscarg
Road Captain

In OKLA helmets on H/D riders are rare I don't know why . I ware one

Old 03-14-2007 | 01:24 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I wear a helmet because first I am extremely good looking and second I am highly intelligent and I don't want to be putting either of those personal qualities of mine at risk.....I do also believe there has been some National level legislation enacted which requires me to keep a helmet on while riding because I have asked several of myriding buddies whatthe effects would be were I to crash without the protection of my helmet......they said "OH THAT WOULD BE A FEDERAL FU%#KIN CRIME".

Old 03-15-2007 | 03:51 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: IOMC Qball

ORIGINAL: MAchonewon

[align=center]Indian Larry didn't wear no stinkin helmet![/align][align=center]RIP!![/align][align=center]No disrespect meant. [/align][align=center]They sometime protect you from small spills. [/align][align=center]I wear one all the time. [/align]
I usually wear one for the exact same reason. A 1/2 shell dot or at least a heavy duty skid lid....for the small spills. I am more comfortable not wearing one when riding with a group ie - more visibility for the cagers, etc....Like the old saying goes...there are two types of bikers...those that have gone down and those that are going down. An old friend once put it this way.."If the good Lord gave you a heads up and told you you're going down.....it's your choice would you like a helmet or not...what would be your answer??? Your answer is what you should be doing when you get on that sled". I do think the media, LEO's and Insurance companies do make the helmet issue out to be the boogy man to some extent. Mostfatalities I've beenprivy to have been from massive internal injuries...not just head injuries. On the opposite end, I heard the analogy..."putting on a helmet insures 5% of your person...so would you be comfortable only insuring only 5% of your home with home owners insurance"
I won't debate the 5% if you are only concerned with the physical square footage. And as far as most fatalities being caused by massive internal injuries... That's irrelevent when you are considering the damage, and life altering effects, of a head injury. Sometimes those that die because of 'massive internal injuries' may be better off. I have never been dead so I'mnot sure.

Ron

Old 03-15-2007 | 04:19 AM
K00LJerk
Road Captain

I wear a modular full face and have a half helmet. I prefer the full face cuts down on noise and debris especially here on SoCal freeways.

Old 03-15-2007 | 04:45 AM
WolfgangX
Intermediate

3/4 with face shield for me cuts back on deb-re insects, birds, jerk offs throwing cigarettes out there window when they have an ashtray.

Wolfgang

Quick Reply: How many of you wear helmets?