General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you wear helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007 | 05:25 PM
CorL
Cruiser
Default RE: How many of you wear helmets?

Suppose you're in the middle of an accident. You're flying through the air.
And then, a miracle! God stops the time and gives you an opportunity to change your gear.

You'll certainly know what to wear at that right moment.

And that is exactly what you will always have to wear.

Old 03-12-2007 | 05:38 PM
scott4911
Cruiser

I don't see how you do it LOTHAR. You can ride year round here in Oklahoma, but if it's below 35 degrees, I drive the truck!

Old 03-12-2007 | 06:05 PM
95fatty
Novice

its your bubble ( CorL ) life is full of p*ssies saying what if. i make my decision every day and i'll live or die with that decision . at least I MADE THAT DECISION , not some panzy tring to think for me.

Old 03-12-2007 | 06:17 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

I tend to think that it should be left up to the adult rider if he should wear a helmet. Myself, I used to take it off when I would leave the base when stationed in California, but for some reason, one day, I was riding east on Highway 62 when it occured to me, "Me, I wear hard riding boots, full leg jeans, a hard leather jacket and at least fingerless gloves, all for the event that I should do something stupid again and surf the asphalt on my butt. Why in the heck am I leaving my nogin unprotected?" My next stop I put the helmet back on and have been riding with helmet since then. My choice, my conclusions, my risk. Now on the other hand, we have all heard about the hangman's noose theory/study done by the US Navy some 30 years ago that shows that a helmet will increase the likelyhood of breaking your neck in a high speed tumble. I've been thinking of that and reflect on those crotch rocket video clips of closed loop race courses wear some of these guys leave their ride at over a 100mph. They slide and skid and tumble and then jump up to go after the guy who caused them to crash in the first place. Hey, wait a minute, what about the hangman's noose theory. Why are so many of these guys able to walk away from a crash where they are all over the place? Maybe because the hangman's noose theory was exagerating the circumstances? I don't know, just a thought.

Old 03-12-2007 | 06:55 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: scott4911

I don't see how you do it LOTHAR. You can ride year round here in Oklahoma, but if it's below 35 degrees, I drive the truck!
Me too, does that make me a part time cager?

Old 03-12-2007 | 07:03 PM
Crusing
Road Captain

I always wear a full-face helmet, and an armored jacket, and gloves, and boots, and jeans. No it does not make me bullet proof and it is a pain getting all the gear on. However, I do belong to a rather large H.O.G chapter where unfortunately a few riders seem to go down every year and they share their stories at our meetings. Needless to say, good gear has demonstrated its worth. Here in Texas I have seen folks riding in everything from a complete set of armored gear to only shorts and sandals, each to their own….

Old 03-12-2007 | 07:17 PM
Bagger_Dave
Cruiser

Didn't used too, but now I do. Wife and three girls,13,5,and 17 mos. I damn sure hate for something stupid to happen. Just ordered ACC helment. To each his or her own. Ride safe, keep the rubber down![8D]

Old 03-12-2007 | 07:21 PM
Tnicean
Tourer

I wear a skid lid here in Virginia. I don't think I could stand a full face helmet. I can barely tolerate a face shield. I would not wear a helmet most of the time if I didn't have to because of the helmet law. My decision. I'll live or die with it. Last year we rode through (7K miles) Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana, South Dakota without a helmet. We didn't put the helmets back on till we got to West (by God) Virgina on our way home to Richmond, VA. It sure felt strange to have to put the helmet back on. I did sunburn my forehead in Kentucky when I first started riding without the helmet. I guess the helmet would have prevented sunburn on my hair thining head.
Tnicean

Old 03-12-2007 | 07:49 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

No Helmet law in NH, I make the choice to always wear a helmet,gloves,leather jacket and chaps. I survived a crash years ago that i shouldn't have walked/crawled away from. No one needs to make me a believer,I know first hand. as many have stated"it's a personal choice for those who live in No helmet law states"

Old 03-12-2007 | 08:01 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

Most of the time I wear one but on occasion I feel a bit nuts and go without! On choice - Tired of Government who for some uncanny reason can't mind its own affairs and has to come take away some of my liberties.....AGAIN!

Quick Reply: How many of you wear helmets?