General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you wear helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007 | 01:23 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser
Default RE: How many of you wear helmets?

I'm a big beliver in helmets. I've had3 friends crash in the last few years, all 3 at less than 40 and all three hit chin first...all had on full face helmets and came out fine. I'd hate to think what they would look like had they not had them on. That said I just came back from a few days in Daytona. While I don't think its safe I did ride around without mine on (have a very sunburned face to prove it) and I did enjoy it. Its nice not haveing to fool with it everytime you start and stop. That said I don't like going without it at interstate speeds. I just find it very uncomfortable. The wind noise is bad and it drys my contacts out. I was suprised by the number of riders I saw with helmets though. Lots of people had them on...on all types of bikes.

Old 03-12-2007 | 01:44 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

I am one of those that do undestand been riding for over 40 years also . now yesterday I was riding with a bunch and we got turned around because of a fatality wreck it was a bike as best we could make out it was a sport bike but the guy or gal was dead and yes he/she probably had a helmet on it's the law in ca. so as they say if we have to explain it you wouldn't understand anyway..
ORIGINAL: whaap

ORIGINAL: dog155

Started riding not wearing a helmet over 40 yrs ago,and fought to repeal the law in Maine that we had for 4 or 5 yrs back in the 70's.Ihave always felt much safer without one for reasons some of you do not understand,a lot of you do.
Sorry dog, that's pretty weak. Ch*t, I started riding motorcycles before motorcycle helmets were made and I for one don't understand.
[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/D2DE636A61E34A6B9DB51E3AA12D34B8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2007 | 02:03 PM
scott4911
Cruiser

I just got out of the Army. 21 years. Army Reg's say you "must" wear them. I've just continued the habit. Usually only wear one when i ride more than 10 or so miles. any time I'm on the interstate.. if i'm going to the grocery store I usually won't... ButI should.. And Oklahoma doesn't have a helmet law...

Old 03-12-2007 | 02:03 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

No hat or gloves. I love the wind noise and other sounds of the road. The far left and far right still have not been able to protect me from myself here in Minnesota.[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 03-12-2007 | 02:10 PM
scott4911
Cruiser

No hat or gloves??? In Minnesota??

You only ride 20 days a year???

Old 03-12-2007 | 02:13 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

No choice up here in Canuckistan.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-12-2007 | 03:19 PM
paulca
Road Captain

Yes, it's the law in the UK

Old 03-12-2007 | 03:52 PM
LOTHAR
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: scott4911

No hat or gloves??? In Minnesota??

You only ride 20 days a year???
I wear a stocking cap and a 99cent pair of cloth gloves when it's cold. helmet and leather gloves, no

Old 03-12-2007 | 04:44 PM
drifter4
Cruiser

As soon as I enter a helmet free zone----off it comes.
Same with most of my riding chums.

Old 03-12-2007 | 05:13 PM
16over
Road Master

ORIGINAL: whaap

ORIGINAL: dog155

Started riding not wearing a helmet over 40 yrs ago,and fought to repeal the law in Maine that we had for 4 or 5 yrs back in the 70's.Ihave always felt much safer without one for reasons some of you do not understand,a lot of you do.
Sorry dog, that's pretty weak. Ch*t, I started riding motorcycles before motorcycle helmets were made and I for one don't understand.
Well I have grown up not wearing them and I DO UNDERSTAND. I personally feel more comfortable without one and my road rage threshold would be way down if I had to wear one because it annoys me so bad to have the damn thing on my head. THAT IS WHY IT SHOULD BEMY CHOICE and not decided by somebody else.

Quick Reply: How many of you wear helmets?