General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you wear helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007 | 12:15 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: How many of you wear helmets?

Hmm. B/S. At least where I live, very few wear one. See alot of Harley riders with a tee shirt and no helmet.

Old 03-12-2007 | 12:16 AM
bastardmaker
Road Warrior

By block the wind I ment from my ears. so not to interfere with my music

Old 03-12-2007 | 12:30 AM
Adak
Cruiser

1/2 helmet in town full face on long rides - but I do ride with folks who don't wear one at all - there choice.

Old 03-12-2007 | 12:44 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Since I am in the military STILL, I MUST wear one, so I wear a 1/2 lid....in the cold I wear my full face. When I ride with someone, I personally don't care if they wear a full face, half lid or no helmet, except I'm jealous that they have the CHOICE!

Problem with the full face, is that it seems to give a false sense of security...But, on the plus side, if you do "go down", you will still be able to look normal in public.

There is something about not wearing a helmet that is perfect. It IS dangerous, but, you know, riding at all is dangerous. The wind and warm breeze in your face is exhilarating! If you ever try it, you will be SOLD!

If I had the choice, I would wear my 1/2 lid or nothing at all. If I fall and lose my jawbone, it is my fault, my choice.

I wish I could wear a full face all the time, but since I know how great it feels to go without, it's hard to wear a full face.....kind of like wearing a condom, when you know how much better it iswithout....[]

Joe

Old 03-12-2007 | 12:57 AM
PSO169
Road Master

I always wear my helmet. I have two very young children and I am the only person in my house that works. I have the helmet, glasses, jeans and mostly my armored jacket. A lot of my buddies dont wear helmets,. their life not for me to decide.
Jeff

Old 03-12-2007 | 12:59 AM
IOMC Qball
Tourer

ORIGINAL: MAchonewon

[align=center]Indian Larry didn't wear no stinkin helmet![/align][align=center]RIP!![/align][align=center]No disrespect meant. [/align][align=center]They sometime protect you from small spills. [/align][align=center]I wear one all the time. [/align]
I usually wear one for the exact same reason. A 1/2 shell dot or at least a heavy duty skid lid....for the small spills. I am more comfortable not wearing one when riding with a group ie - more visibility for the cagers, etc....Like the old saying goes...there are two types of bikers...those that have gone down and those that are going down. An old friend once put it this way.."If the good Lord gave you a heads up and told you you're going down.....it's your choice would you like a helmet or not...what would be your answer??? Your answer is what you should be doing when you get on that sled". I do think the media, LEO's and Insurance companies do make the helmet issue out to be the boogy man to some extent. Mostfatalities I've beenprivy to have been from massive internal injuries...not just head injuries. On the opposite end, I heard the analogy..."putting on a helmet insures 5% of your person...so would you be comfortable only insuring only 5% of your home with home owners insurance"

Old 03-12-2007 | 01:05 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

ORIGINAL: okieblue62

I was always a big fan of helmets back in my ricer days. Now that I'm in the Harley world I notice not many of you wear helmets.

What was your choice and how did you decide that they were just not for you?
Always wear one. 3/4 in the winter and 1/2 in the summer. Wouldn't matter if it is required or not.

I am looking for a good full with a wide face portal.

Old 03-12-2007 | 01:23 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member

I've always worn a helmet, don't feel comfortable without it. I figure my head contains all the controls for the rest of the body, and is essential to protect it. Those who decide otherwise know what THEIR head is worth. let'em decide.[8D]

Old 03-12-2007 | 01:25 AM
06ultra
Elite HDF Member

WRONG. Not in my part of the country. Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota,Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida.
[/quote]

Yea what he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2007 | 08:34 AM
ULTRA Gramps
Outstanding HDF Member

Full face when weather is cold, Half lid the rest of the time.

Quick Reply: How many of you wear helmets?