General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Vinny132
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few Newbie Questions

Hey All,

Being a fairly new rider I have a few Questions..I do alot of long distance..How much of a differance does a windshield Make?

How many miles before an oil change..I don't really like harleys maintenance plan.seems oil changes are to far apart.

Last question is about the rear brake..When I first got the bike last season I was basicly learning..So I didn't really use the rear brake because I was just getting used to clutching and shifting..Now I got that down pat but I added highway pegs..So I always have my right foot on the highway peg.The rear brake is by the mid peg still..So I got into the bad habbit of not using it again..My left foot stays on the mid control for the clutch in Stop and go driving and sometimes even on a long hall.It feels better to have the right foot on the highway peg and the left foot on the mid peg for me..Question is..I was told to only use the rear brake to slow down or as a trailing brake in use with the front..But is it bad to use just the front..I fear i will get so used to it that come a bad situation I will not even think to use the rear

Old 03-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Jameson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A few Newbie Questions

Its not neccessarily bad to only use the front, but remember that the front only serves as 75% of the stopping power. the rear is the other 35% of course. If you get into a good habit of using both all the time, Youll use both in an emergency situation. But honestly I usally only use the front, Im not a fan of the rear brake unless its a quick stop. Thats just me though.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:45 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Windshield - mine came with one, but have ridden many bikes without. Thought it would be cool on the king to have a quick attach setup. Since buying my bike I have ridden exactly ONE time without it. To me, makes a huge difference.

Oil changes - I have always dones mine around 3k, but honestly unless you are constantly ******* your bike probably not a big deal. Really, this boils down to personal preference in my opinion.

Braking - a majority of your stopping power is the front, however, both is better especially if you find your self in a panic situation. However, practice is key as you don't want to lock up the rear or a high side is in your immediate future. Being a former sport bike rider, I lean heavily on the front. For low speed stability using the back brake keeps the bike upright and makes slow riding and tight turning much more manageble. Here is my plug, pick up the ride like a pro dvd and learn to use your rear brake.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Everyone has their own feelings as far as oil changes go. Many change at 3,000 miles. Right or wrong I'm from the school that says the manufacturer is smarter about these matters than I am.

Yes, use your rear brake with your front brake. Change your habits now. Using your rear brake by itself to take off just a little speed when you come into a corner a little too fast is one way to use it alone. Another way is in slow maneuvers (parking lots). You don't want to have your front wheel turned and accidentally lock up the front brake which can be easy to do at slow speeds. In all slow, parking lot maneuvers I seldom if ever use the front brake. For regular, on the road riding learn to use both together.

The best thing you can do for yourself is take the MSF course.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:54 PM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

A windshield will mainly help with fatigue and of course bugs. After a long haul with the wind pushung on your upper torso you can get tired much faster. It also helps the rain not to sting so much. It is a personal preference though. I have a shield onmy new SG, but never had one on my previous 2 bikes. I have friends that would never ride with a shield. They feel it deminishes the experience.

As far as the oil changes go you should be fine with the MOCO suggestion of 5k. Unless you do a lot of shorter rides like less than 15-20 miles.A lot of low mileage runs allows condensation to build up in your oil, and should therefore be changed every 1500-2500 miles, as stated in your owners manual.

As far as the rear brake goes. Learn to use both. Though the rear is only 30% of your stopping power, you will need it in an emergency situation.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get used to the rear brake ASAP!!!!!!
Like whaap said take the MSF course

Old 03-11-2007, 08:59 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Jameson

Its not neccessarily bad to only use the front, but remember that the front only serves as 75% of the stopping power. the rear is the other 35% of course.
Cool we have 110% stopping power!!!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:02 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I took my windshield off to go to Daytona Bike Week. It will never come off again. At speeds in excess of 50mph it make a HUGE difference.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BREAD

ORIGINAL: Jameson

Its not neccessarily bad to only use the front, but remember that the front only serves as 75% of the stopping power. the rear is the other 35% of course.
Cool we have 110% stopping power!!!
Hey man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,leave my acountant alone

Old 03-11-2007, 09:08 PM
pokey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a detachable windshield, if i don't want to use it, for a ride, i can just take it off.... helps with the cold wind, bugs, etc.... had a friend get hit in the throat with a rock, on the e-way.... / 2nd, put forward controls on your bike, and start using BOTH brakes, if you end up in a jam, your going to fly over the handlebars, if you just nail the front brake.... as far as the oil changes, 1,000 for the first, then every 3 afterwards???follow the manual...

Quick Reply: A few Newbie Questions