General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evil Monkey Kustoms Color Shifting Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:05 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

What affect will this have on those who report a stolen motorcycle? "Geez, officer, when I got here it was black but I'm not sure what color it is now."

Old 04-06-2014, 03:58 AM
hjennings
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Coyle
I can’t imagine it’s cheap, but the looks you’d get from your riding buddies could be worth it. Get rolling in the morning when it’s cold, and your bike is orange, but by the time you stop for lunch, it’s black. Kind of cool I thought.
Evil Monkey Kustoms Color Changing Paint Harley Gas Tank - Part III - Like us on Facebook! - YouTube
John, no, it isn't cheap. But it's on par with any other custom paint (kandy, for instance). I do have to correct you on one thing, though. When it is "cold" (85 and below) it would be black. When it hits 86 and above it is orange.

In the video it was room temp (probably 78 that day). I used hot and cold water to speed up the process. hot water turns it orange and the cold water (which was rather warm that day, so didn't change it as fast) turns it back to black.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:59 AM
hjennings
6th Gear

Originally Posted by OKMICK
What affect will this have on those who report a stolen motorcycle? "Geez, officer, when I got here it was black but I'm not sure what color it is now."
LOL lets hope it doesn't get stolen!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:01 AM
hjennings
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Reindeer
Reminds me of those Hypercolor shirts from the late 80s. It would be cool for flames or other graphics.
I'm working on a similar tank now with flames. It has a black basecoat and I am airbrushing "real" flames on the tank. I'm going to cover it with the thermo black paint and quality clear. My thought is that on an average day it will be a "fight" between the heat from the big V-twin and the air rushing around the tank and it will make the flames appear and re-appear as you ride. That's my thought anyway. We'll see how it turns out in following weeks.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:06 AM
hjennings
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
lol! I had one of those. After several trips through the wash/dry cycle, it didn't work quite so well. Hopefully the paint is different.

Still, this is a very cool paint option. I wonder if the color & shine is nice, comparable to what we'd expect from today's paint, or if it has all the appeal of cheap primer. I suspect some compromises have to be made.
But yes... I'd use it on a bike or car project if it wasn't uber-expensive. It's MUCH cooler than that color-shifting crap that changes based on your angle of viewing.
Washing it makes no difference. The paint and clear are the same high quality products one would use on any quality paint job. The black thermo pigment is mixed with a quality binder/clear.

It is expensive, but on par with a kandy paint job (more because of the fact it is so many layers, and difficult to spray).

Only downside is it is that UV rays can kill it. I recommend a higher quality clear with extra UV protection, and keeping it out of direct sun as much as possible.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:10 AM
hjennings
6th Gear

Originally Posted by sarpeezy
Cool concept but I dont know if its worth it

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...202243894.html
I wouldn't recommend this on a car, at least until the fully fix the UV/pigment issue. Until then, I recommend a high quality UV protective clear and keeping it out of direct sun as much as possible.

The tank in the video is over a year old now and still looks the same as day one. I should note, the owner has three bikes, this one he shows, and tries to drive it more in the evenings.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 AM
srt8
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

could you imagine a hot day and you stop at the gas station and fill it up with the cold gas from the pump and it sloshing around in the tank that would be crazy

Old 04-06-2014, 07:42 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Even better, the technology to change to multiple colors is out there. Imagine A two tone bike that could be any color combo, or a flame job that looks like actual fire.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:43 PM
hjennings
6th Gear

Originally Posted by just plain john
Even better, the technology to change to multiple colors is out there. Imagine A two tone bike that could be any color combo, or a flame job that looks like actual fire.
Sadly, that video is completely fake. No such technology exists.