General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oregon Bedroll Kickstarter

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013 | 10:13 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

Here's a similar one I bought for the truck bed and drive in movies!

http://www.butlerbags.com/cms/Produc...electedLink=MC

And for the real West...
http://www.sheridantent.com/cowboybedrolls.html

Old 11-16-2013 | 02:48 AM
alz
Stage III

Originally Posted by TheBig-O
Read the "comments" section on Oregon Bedroll's web page before ordering anything . Apparently many people have lost money to this outfit . http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...oregon-bedroll

I wish I knew about this before I ordered mine in july.
i'm still waiting for my bedroll.
not sure what I can do, if anything.

*mad*

Old 12-30-2013 | 05:36 PM
blackpool
Stage III
Default Avoid Oregon Bedroll AT ALL COSTS

Hi Road Warriors,
Oregon Bedroll is run by Patrick Juell. He is a con man and a thief. He owes me and 59 other people 60 bedrolls. To the sum of over $20.000. Which he conned people out of then disappeared. He show up 6 months later on Kick starter to raise more money ( conn more people ). With some bullshit story but would not tell anyone where the money was or what he used it for. My guess a 6 month crack binge. It will be a year after the holidays I have been waiting for either my money back or a bedroll. He has erased the negative comments on his website so beware. I called the prison where he supposedly had them made to find out why there were a production problem at the prison and they told me that Patrick had not placed or paid for any production run in two years, but the whole time was taking orders and people's money. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY AS HE RIPS OFF FELLOW BIKERS. POS.

Last edited by blackpool; 12-30-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2013 | 06:11 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Some of you may be interested in an aussie swag biker friendly bedroll. Campers downunder have been using waterproof comfortable bedrolls for many, many years.

http://www.wildearth.com.au/shop/swags/biker-swags/1604

EDIT: added another site:

http://www.mrswagman.com.au/camping-...r-bikers.shtml

Last edited by V2Evo96; 12-30-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2013 | 08:22 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Old 12-31-2013 | 12:34 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

pretty pricy for something sold by a con artist and manufactured in a correctional institution. Also looks like the prices increased since this tread was started

Old 12-31-2013 | 12:40 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by ynots
pretty pricy for something sold by a con artist and manufactured in a correctional institution. Also looks like the prices increased since this tread was started
"pretty pricy for something sold by a con artist and manufactured in a correctional institution" ... exactly what I was thinking. This guys is screwing people and smiling all the way to the bank. While the "Oregon Bedroll" may be ( I never used one ) the cats a$$, I think part of it's popularity is that it's kind of a throw back to the old days when many of us would just tie something on the handlebars and ride! ... Just my .02 cents worth

Old 12-31-2013 | 02:39 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Now 70, I have camped off a bike many times, sometimes sleeping on the ground with just my leather jacket. But what I have found to work well, everywhere and in all weather, is something along the lines of the swag. It rolls up and attaches to your bike much like a cowboy's bedroll behind his saddle.

Mine is a breathable, Big Agnus bivy sack which is bug-proof and rain-proof. It has a large mosquito netting zip-up panel with another rain-proof zip-up panel over that. There are a few lightweight pegs to keep it from shifting or blowing away. Also a collapsible "pole" keeps the enclosure well off your torso area, and maintains a rain-shedding shape. Inside it remain my sleeping bag and manually inflated air mattress (takes ~a minute). It can be setup anywhere you have room to stretch out--places where a tent could not fit, under low branches, ... There is enough room in the shoulder/head area to stow boots, water and small pack. Deploys in ~a minute. Everything simply rolls up when you're ready to leave. BTW I also carry a lightweight tarp.

The specialized camping hammocks are almost ideal but, in near-freezing temps, cost you a lot of lost body heat unless surrounded by a possibly very bulky insulator. And you might not always have supports.

The hammock-on-a-Harley takes care of the supports but marries you to the bike where an accidental bump might leave you with a 700 lb motorcycle on top of your sleeping body.

Last edited by lo-rider; 12-31-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2014 | 01:59 PM
dsears2
3rd Gear

Gents,

Let me be perfectly clear, do not buy anything on this website. Your money goes in this POS's pocket and no where else! There is no Oregon Bedroll but if you send a email, this is the auto reply you get...

I have received your email, but there may be a couple of days delay in returning it, I will respond as quickly as possible.

Thanks much,

Patrick Juell
Oregon Bedroll, Inc.
www.oregonbedroll.com

Don't expect a reply.

Old 02-19-2014 | 10:21 AM
fishslapr
Cruiser

I learned of these bedrolls reading this site, & paid/ordered one back in April 2013. Ooops. After trying to get in touch with the guy a few times I finally recieved this email.

I had to close the doors on my shop back in 2008, so I feel for the guy. But once I knew I was not able to put product in my client's hands I didn't take anymore orders.

This is Patrick Juell of Oregon Bedroll. I must first offer sincere heartfelt apology for my lack of communication for the past 90 days. There’s no excuse, I just couldn’t do it. I’d tear up at the thought, yet I’d be going over and over the letter it in my head every day. I know there are 53 people I owe 61 bedrolls or refunds to, and I just can’t come up with either.

You could say I went out of business the day I had to move out of the back of the warehouse I’ve been living in behind the Oregon Bedroll retail space for the past 3 year lease. Couldn’t afford modest $875 lease payment for both. I’m homeless now with my $1200 worn out minivan and my old dog staying with my brother in Washington in his 1969 unrestored single wide trailer helping him deal with his stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I put my life savings, well over $120K in the business, and here’s where I am now. There are a lot of people very angry at me, so if you want bad for me, well you got it.

I’ve seen business neighbors and friends have business troubles, cash flow problems, and they just packed it up. I was astonished that they could give up so easy, they may have to stop playing video poker, sell a car, quit smoking those stupid 3 packs a day cigarettes, and they fold the business! I’ve gone without food, sold everything including my beloved motorcycle for the business, had 2 Christmases with my girls with only $20 to spend and I will still do anything to save my business, and they couldn’t even quit cigarettes.

How did I get here? The stupid military deal essentially put me out of business 2 years ago really, but I refused to let Oregon Bedroll die. I didn’t make any money on the military deal, $100K worth of bedrolls they got me down to $62K BEFORE at the last minute I had to ‘accept a partner with a GSA code’ who ended up getting all of the profit. The real problem was cutting me off from bedrolls for the 7 or 8 months to fill the military deal. No income while my modest operating expenses kept going, was just too much.

I came out the other side after completing the military deal in 2011 (customer loves the product, if not the late delivery time) with no money and no bedrolls. After being unsuccessful at 3 different banks including my credit union of 20 years, I thought of the pre-order sale. It worked at first, I was catching up, but it lost traction (not enough sales) and couldn’t fix itself. I’ve sold all my stuff over the past 3 years, sold my motorcycle to make bedrolls last year, but it wasn’t enough.

I still have a plan to ‘fix it’. Actually it’s the last two bullets in a 5 shot revolver plan. The first two were the Oregon Angel Fund and the Oregon Entrepreneurs Network which gave me two possible investors. I spent six months pursuing investor capital, had two teams of PHDs competing to steal over half my business to take it big. In the end, they both wanted me to abandon, or go bankrupt against the 53 customers and one vendor, I refused. One group also wanted to abandon the prison manufacturing and call it an All-in-One instead of a bedroll (it’s a bedroll!) Some smart guys making dumb uninformed decisions. I learned a lot but didn’t find an investor. 3rd bullet was an old friend of my Father’s who invests, no luck.

Since leaving Oregon, I have been working feverishly on the next steps, first I completed a provisional patent application that gives me 12 months protection. Then producing the video that is critical to the 4th bullet at the local community access TV station. I finished yesterday actually. It is the 3 and a half minute video that is the heart of my Kickstarter.com crowd funding project going up as soon as my daughter and I can complete it. I had to make my funding goal $40K, so that it will also be able to make the backorder of your bedrolls, or make refunds. A smaller goal of $20K would more likely get funded, but wouldn’t be able to fix the backorder. If my Kickstarter.com project gets funded, that fixes everything, I feel about a 50/50 chance, but now with the flurry of negative facebook posts caused by my lack of communication, I’m learning the odds may be against me, but I have to follow through and launch the Kickstarter, no matter the odds.

Finishing the 3 ½ Kickstarter video and the 90 second version (link above) yesterday really gave me the strength to write this long pathetic letter. I am so sorry I wasn’t man enough to write it before now, I’ve teared up more than a couple times writing this, I think the small victory of finishing the video gave me the strength.

As soon as the kickstarter campaign is launched, doesn’t matter if it is successful or not, my plan is to turn my attention to creating a first-class professional presentation for Harley Davidson, delivered by me in person in Milwaukee. My pitch will be for Harley to manufacture and enter into a licensing agreement with me. When I first thought this product up in 2007, I also figured the end game was to sell it to Harley. Harley Davidson NEEDS this product.

Harley Davidson will sell over 100,000 bedrolls in its first year, and I will be insisting that I keep my small Made-in-USA prison manufactured product but be willing to contractually agree to never make more than 2000 bedrolls per year. I believe this will not be a problem.

If the kickstarter is not successful, and Harley doesn’t work out, after that, I’m sorry, but I believe I’ll just be done. My only consolation will be I did absolutely everything I was capable of, and just failed.

My cousin has the old dilapidated newspaper building in the tiny town of Scio Oregon, that he will lease me for $500 per month. It has a retail space for the bedroll and me and my dog can live in the back, but the retail space up front badly needs rehab, he hasn’t moved out yet, and I can’t afford the $500 now. But when either Kickstarter or the Harley trip is successful, I hope to settle into that building and be close to my daughters again. Living like this I don’t really get to see them anymore. I listed the address on the website, and do plan to move in if I can save Oregon Bedroll.

I’ve always been a quiet, private person except when required by business, and I’ve really wrapped myself in isolation in the past 3 months, but now I’m going to have to come out from hiding from the bill collectors and angry people and do this Kickstarter thing which apparently requires a lot of communication. I’ll put on my happy face like I did in the video and do the job that has to be done.

It is as important to me to make good to the 53 great customers and the good vendor who put faith in me and my product as it is to save the business. But to make good to the 53, I’ve got to save my business, and that’s what I’m doing now. I’ve always felt that if I give absolutely everything I’ve got to this business and I fail, that at least I won’t always be looking back thinking if I had just done this, or gone the extra mile here. If I fail with my last two options, it won’t be for lack of effort or commitment, I’ll know I did the absolute best I could.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the difficulties delivering your bedroll, bedrolls or refund, and also for not communicating before this. I don’t expect everyone to accept my apology. I do have to mention the extremely nice group of people who have emailed me supportive comments, they did mean so very much to me over the past weeks, thank you.

I am very sorry, but still believe in Oregon Bedroll and know I am still doing everything in my power to get you your bedrolls or refunds. I will email you again with the success or failure of my efforts.

Sincerely,

Patrick Juell
Oregon Bedroll

Quick Reply: Oregon Bedroll Kickstarter