General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a fan of the big wheel look but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013 | 11:12 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by Mike
I will always love choppers, old school chops from the 60s and 70s, as well as the billet "pro-street" choppers from the 90s. I also dig bobbers, board trackers, thug style dynas and fxrs, as well as custom baggers and adventure-bike Sportster conversions. I'd own at least one of each if I could afford to..
Don't get me wrong. I love the choppers too. Just think you can look at that particular bike and it looks 'dated'. You can probably guess within a few years what year it was built. I'm sure that look will become 'cool' again someday, just like the '70s choppers are now.

I actually think some of the less radical big wheel baggers (like some of the forum members on here have) look pretty cool. I've never ridden one, so I can't make any comment on how they ride. I'm sure done correctly they ride fine, just like a well built chopper.

But some of them are just so over the top, it reminds me of the OCC bikes from 7-8 years ago.

Old 10-11-2013 | 11:52 AM
thecort
Road Captain

I can definitely appreciate "something" not being for everyone. That's why I don't ridicule stock bikes or anyone else's bike for that matter. Everyone has different tastes.

Anyway most people that bash, do so without any experience AT ALL (I said most not all). I was a skeptic at first with the big wheels but never a critique because I had never ridden one.

Well, I'm on my 2nd now. I have had 2 Street Glides, which were both new when purchased, so I did have stock wheels.

Here's what I found riding these Big Wheeled Baggers (***).

My 2010 SG went from stock to a 21" wheel for a season, then to a 23" wheel for another season. To get the 21" to work I had to lower the front wityh a 1" drop spring kit & Screaming Eagle fork oil. It rode & handled just as good as my stock wheel did. Looked 10x better, than stock, IMO also.

To get the 23" wheel to work I kept the spring kit in, installed 9* HHI triple trees & a steering damper. That rode almost as well as stock. I did give up handling just a bit, but not enough to make me go back...I put 10,000miles on that setup...in 5 months, til Hurricane Sandy totaled it.
Not a fan of the big wheel look but...-img_8198.jpg

Then I bought a 2013 SG (insurance money lol) & did somewhat of a custom build.
Not a fan of the big wheel look but...-img_5279.jpg

Not a fan of the big wheel look but...-img_3376.jpg

I had a one-off 26" wheel made. To get that 26" to work, I cut the neck & welded on an HHI 9* neck block & bolted up my HHI 9* trees. This bike rides incredible! I already have over 5,000 miles on it. It's been to a couple of rallies already (ridden NOT trailered). I can put over 300 miles of riding on it in a day without a problem.
Here's my critique of the 26": Can it be ridden everyday as a daily rider? Yes, but it's definitely not as user friendly. The VEE Rubber tire is great on the highway & moderate twisties, but when you want to scrape floorboards...it sucks! Due to the low profile tire, there is virtually no feedback when leaned way over. Going through an off camber, decreasing radius turn is not that much fun anymore, especially if there are a couple of wallows in it lol (sorry if some of you "riders" don't know what that is lol)

Do I regret doing it? Yes, & HELL NO! lol Yes, because I can not run through twisties as fast as "I" used to. No, because it is IMO it's a really nice looking great handling, comfortable bike that can absolutely be packed up & ridden cross country at a moments notice.

If I were to do another ***, it would be a 23" with a set of 6* trees only.

Originally Posted by LilGreasy
The big wheel is becoming an evermore popular look, BUT adding a larger wheel will change the rake and trail and this will decrease handling. If you decide to go through with it you will need to A. buy a spring or fork lowering kit to get the bike down to or close to original and manageable (better handling and comfort) rake and trail. B. Buy shorter after market forks. C. "Rake the bike, this will likely be the most expensive option. In order to do so you will need to cut off the neck and add metal to increase the rake and trail.
A.You DO NOT need a spring lowering kit. The rake lowers the bike for you.
The reason you install different degree triple trees & cut your neck is to bring back your rake & trail to the stock setup. This will improve handling (if you don't do that, that's when you get "the wobble"). B. Your triple tree kit will come with fork extensions (1" for 23" or 2" for a 26") C. It all depends on which neck block you use. HHI is a pretty straight forward process...plumb/level the bike, cut the stock neck, install the new HHI neck block making sure it is level & plumb & has the correct degree, then TIG weld it up, making sure to go from side to side so you won't warp the neck from excessive heat on one side.

Old 10-11-2013 | 12:43 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronAss
Hell most of the guys I know with the "custom" bikes don't know how to change their own oil either.
With all due respect, the reality is pretty much the exact opposite. In fact, most of the guys that are involved with custom bikes do a great deal of their own work. There is a couple of forums specifically aimed at these bikes that were primarily started as a resource for home builders to help other home builders (similar to some of the chopper and street rod forums).

Here's my motor, mid 107 upgrade

Here's my one-off rear fender, welded side fillers and frenched license plate pocket

Here's my frame, mid-rake

I built my bike in my little two car garage, which is filled up with my 56 chev, a couple of lawn mowers, and my kids bikes and sports toys. My workbench is a folding table. I've posted up threads on HDF and other forums, in an attempt to help other owners who want to learn how to do more of their own work. I'll continue to do that, because I've learned a few things from more experienced builders over the years, and I try to pay it forward whenever I can. Getting more knowledgeble owners and riders out on the streets benefits us all.

I don't give two ***** if anybody else doesn't like my bike, the way it looks, sounds, or whatever. I get it, aesthetics are a personal thing, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I don't get is the Harley owners who actually seem to hate the very existence of some of these bikes.

You know what burns my ***?

Flames, about three feet high.

It's a harley forum, lets get back to what we do best, pile-on the sportrider crowd. ( I'm joking )

Old 10-11-2013 | 12:59 PM
Blackfly
Road Master

Thanks Mike, now I've got flashburn from that last pic haha. I agree.

Old 10-11-2013 | 02:41 PM
Walter White
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Mike, I have to agree. I spoke with a few of these custom bike owners and was surprised that most of them were young (20s or early 30s) and did all the work themselves. The guys I was talking too lived in Alabama and rode their customs to Panama City Fl for Thunder Beach. 2 of them work for the rail road. 1 guys does the motor and suspension work while the other who used to own a body shop does the custom painting and fiberglass work. A third does the welding. The guy who does the mechanical has figured out over time with manuals, you tube and the help of forums. He says that if he can do it anyone can. He was showing me the air compressors he installed on all of them. He said the HD dealership wanted $2500 to $3000 to do it. He couldn't afford that and learned how to do it himself. Impressive.

Old 10-11-2013 | 03:14 PM
backplay
Road Master

Originally Posted by Blueneck
get a life you haterz, never knock an-others choice in customizing that's just plain bad manners, i bet half of you couldn't change yer own oil, let alone build a ground up custom, any man with the ***** to walk up to my ride an criticize better be prepared to look up at me from the ground
Typical big talk from a keyboard Rambo.... No "haterz" here, as you choose to spell it. Just guys who may not like what you like. Too bad if you don't like it.

Old 10-11-2013 | 11:18 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wanna Ride
Love the haters! Big wheels rock!

Very nice!!!

Old 10-11-2013 | 11:22 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LilGreasy
The big wheel is becoming an evermore popular look, BUT adding a larger wheel will change the rake and trail and this will decrease handling. If you decide to go through with it you will need to A. buy a spring or fork lowering kit to get the bike down to or close to original and manageable (better handling and comfort) rake and trail. B. Buy shorter after market forks. C. "Rake the bike, this will likely be the most expensive option. In order to do so you will need to cut off the neck and add metal to increase the rake and trail.
Nope Nope and Nope

Old 10-14-2013 | 11:07 PM
Zombie Topz
Advanced

Originally Posted by soft 02
Nope. Still not a fan.
What size is that front tire? I really like the look of your setup

Old 10-15-2013 | 12:39 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Not for THIS cowboy!

Whaddaya do when it ain't "trendy" anymore & you've destroyed your sled?

Last edited by dickey; 10-15-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Not a fan of the big wheel look but...