General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the big deal with Fairing Lowers

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013 | 12:29 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

I put mine on in the winter to keep my feet dry. I think they're ugly, so they come off in the summer.

Old 10-09-2013 | 01:22 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Personally I'm not concerned what some stranger (or anyone) thinks about how my bike looks. I put on fairing lowers to better manage the wind. Without them a lot of turbulent air comes into the riding area, which I call the cockpit. When the roads are wet that air is wet and everything gets soaked, especially my legs. When it's cold, like today, a degree or two off freezing point, the lowers keep out that cold air from circling around. They keep the dust, gusts, bugs, everything out. Bike stays cleaner and makes it more enjoyable to ride.

The only downside, you have to listen to people whine about how they look ugly. lol. Like I would care.

Old 10-09-2013 | 01:27 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

They keep me dryer in the rain, warmer in the cold, and keep turbulent air off my legs at all times. It's much less fatiguing doing an all-day highway ride with them on. They also direct more air to the engine so it stays cooler. I took them off once, won't do it again.

Old 10-09-2013 | 01:36 PM
JD HD
Road Captain

I leave mine on because I hate the way the air flows up from the tank area without them, at least at highway speeds.

Old 10-09-2013 | 01:54 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Its just an air dam, use them when they would be helpful and remove them when they are hindering. You can buy locking covers if ya want, I have some and keep shop rags and other extras in them, so far nothing has gotten wet, but I don't ride under water often so who knows what the limits are.

Old 10-09-2013 | 02:18 PM
Coloradohunter
Tourer

I like mine for all the reasons listed above.

Plus they house my radiator and coolant bottle.

Old 10-09-2013 | 02:31 PM
Benito
Cruiser

I'll give you my take...

Had em on my farkled up '10 Road Glide. Loved em except in the summer. It really made my ride very uncomfortable (hot) with them on, even with the adjustments opened up all the way.

Bought a new '13 EGC, which did not come with the lowers. I bought the H-D soft canvas lowers, which I'll put on when it gets cold.

Win, win for me...

Cheers/B

Old 10-09-2013 | 09:15 PM
slowrollin
|
Road Master

Lots of good reasons to have them on the bike here. I don't do much cold weather or wet weather riding, but I see a ton of bugs on them in the summer time. Never stopped to think they could all be on me instead of the lowers. I went and got a quick release kit from Harley so that I can take them on and off in a couple of minutes without any tools. There are cheaper brands out there but they use rubber bands and stuff that looks like it will break. The Harley kit just uses three screws you can hand tighten to keep the lower in place or remove it. Now I can easily have the best of both worlds

Old 10-09-2013 | 09:29 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

they actually direct more air to the engine to help keep it cooler. the biggest reason though has already been said, wind management. with them on, i can ride with a long sleeve overhirt on (military base, must have long sleeves, bright colors), leave it unbuttoned and it doesn't do the superman cape flyaway. my glasses dont bounce, and the wind noise through my helmet is even reduced.

but the single best reason to have them, they are so good that they even walk the dog and cut the grass for me ...... okay, maybe not so much that last part, but they really do make for a nice ride. and if it's too hot where you are, you can take the vent doors off to get a little more wind.

Old 10-09-2013 | 09:40 PM
fj1200
Tourer

I took the lowers off on my FLHTK during the summer, even though they did a great job blocking rocks and bugs from hitting my shins. I bought a set of the magnetic fastening doors for the lowers but never installed them before trading for a CVO Street Glide which has speakers in the lowers, so I have not had the lowers off.

Quick Reply: What's the big deal with Fairing Lowers