General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I find out of I have a 96 or a 103

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:21 PM
cmcoyner
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the bike in a divorce sale so I got title it says port and polish on the badge on the motor and it lopes pretty hard and pulls like a screaming bit€£ I guess ill just pull the motor and micro meter the bore ect. The jugs are not stock looking and Dimond cut on the fins. If I get on it hard when I shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd it wants to slide like its getting a 2nd or 3rd gears scratch. Sorry to everyone with my dumb question just trying to get input

Old 10-09-2013, 03:31 PM
1sicmofo
Tourer

Originally Posted by cmcoyner
I bought the bike in a divorce sale so I got title it says port and polish on the badge on the motor and it lopes pretty hard and pulls like a screaming bit€£ I guess ill just pull the motor and micro meter the bore ect. The jugs are not stock looking and Dimond cut on the fins. If I get on it hard when I shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd it wants to slide like its getting a 2nd or 3rd gears scratch. Sorry to everyone with my dumb question just trying to get input
I always thought the color of the bike controlled the HP

Red being the fastest and black was the slowest.

Of course if you have Flames on the gas tank no one could ever catch you.

Last edited by 1sicmofo; 10-09-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 52,418 Likes on 18,421 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Are those big jugs natural from the factory, or is there a big layer of silicone on them? I always prefer OEM equipment myself.
---
Depending on the model year and how many miles, upgrades may be required or trade it in on a newer lower mileage model.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 52,418 Likes on 18,421 Posts

We are just kidding with you. Having Jugs in your response gets the mind to wandering.

Many including me couldn't tell you what size the motor is without the giant number (103, 110 etc) on the side. Heck I am still learning the model name and lettering designations. I came from sportbikes and can still tell them apart.

I never thought of buying one which could have unknown upgrades to it. I guess I would have to run it by a mechanic to see what's in there.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:16 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe there is a paper trail somewhere. I did like the water measure way. DINO

Old 10-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Check for adjustable pushrods by lifting a tube. If there are threads n nuts visible its likely to be at min cammed. Not always

Old 10-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,873 Likes on 19,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Def Mute
The serial number will only tell you what it came from the factory with...

The only other way to tell what it actually is now, is to open it and measure the cylinder diameter and multiply that by the stroke. Anything less is just a guess, unless you can find the previous owner(s) and they can remember what they have done or had done to the engine.

If it has a fuel management system, like power commander, the map description may indicate if it was designed for a particular engine displacement. But, that is still no guarantee because someone may just like the way it runs on that engine, even though it was designed for another?

Head work might not always be part of the build. It could have been done in stages, with the displacement being first in line, and head work put off till the budget would allow going forward...

Cams installed? Still no true indicator of displacement...

I forgot to mention...

Those guys who are laughing at you, well they are just trying to get a mental lift from all the laughing at they received before they joined a good forum and learned some of the things which experience will never have a chance to teach them...
" The only other way to tell what it actually is now, is to open it and measure the cylinder diameter and multiply that by the stroke " You need more than that to figure total displacement brother. You have to factor in Pi ( 3.14 ) or use a calculator that factors it in automatically. 103' engine ...3.88 * 4.38 = 16.99 * 2 = 33.98 * 3.14 = 106.72 ... At least that's the way I remember doing it.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
Pour water in through the spark plug holes and measure how much went in each cylinder.
thats the old way,, the techs use vinegar now. they found it less corrosive.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Plenty of gearheads here to correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my understanding.
If it's a post-2006 motor the stroke is the same on a 96 and a 103. Just the bore is the difference. It gets a little complicated how they evolved before that, as they used a longer stroke on the 88's to get the 103's originally. But the 96 was already stroked over the 88 specs so it only took a bore to get a 103 on the post-06's.
So measure that if you get some spare time.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:15 PM
cmcoyner
Novice

Oh I would be making the same remarks if I would or read some one elses post. Mine do sound a little bit on the dumb *** side I think the best think is get in the shop cause god know if I dont ill f something up and the right back one here with half *** questions trying to fix it my self.

Quick Reply: How can I find out of I have a 96 or a 103