Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It was bound to happen...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM
onecoolpilot
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default It was bound to happen...

I just didn't think it would be this soon

Just under 60 miles on my new SB, and I wrecked it today. On the way home from work, 2 blocks from work in fact. Making a left turn across a "hump" where the near side of the road is higher than the far side. Halfway through the turn, I realized that I didn't turn sharp enough, and I became fixated on the curb on the far side. Sure enough, that's where I ended up, and then in to the side yard of a house. Took out half a tree too.

They told me in class over and over and over, look through the turn, your bike is going to end up where ever your eyes are.

Luckily, I only suffered a few scrapes and bruises, and some stiffness. Nothing broken or mangled. Can't say Bob came out so lucky though.

Right side controls and front brake were pushed 180 degrees backward (brake lever was facing toward the back of the bike, with the switches facing down), right front corner of the tank caved in, right peg and rear brake lever were off completely. Front and rear wheels both have a pretty good sized dent in them.

Now i just have to wait for Mr. Insurance man to call and get the bike back to the shop. By the time the bike is ready and I have the money for the deductible, I should be recovered and ready to ride again.

Just wanted to vent a little, really mad at myself more than anything, my pretty bike didn't deserve this. Grown men don't cry, right?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Springerkidd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bikers so not cry....They power snivel..

Old 10-07-2013, 08:33 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

That sucks. Glad you are ok

Old 10-07-2013, 08:58 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, man...good lesson learned though. It didn't cost you any body parts or leave you handicapped. I did the same thing on my first bike, but was lucky enough to over shoot into gravel and just slid under on the low side. Only damage was my pegs and clutch lever. I'll still think about that one when I dive into a sharp turn.

If you haven't taken an advanced rider course yet, I recommend it once you're recovered. Coming from sport bikes, I learned a lot about the limits of my SB on a closed course without damaging anything. I also learned a new (to me) method of riding the rear brake into a fast turn without letting off the throttle. That has completely changed the way I take sharp, sweeping curves now.

Anyway, I hope you're back up soon.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:09 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Hope you heal up quick. Experience is a hard teacher.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:13 PM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

In the end....it's just a bike. A lot easier to fix it than fix you. Good luck with the repair.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

First of all glad you hear you didn't kill yourself. Now, the lashing.. Why do people buy brand new bikes right out of the Rider's Edge course? Its like you were tempting fate. You should have gone out and purchased a cheap used bike so WHEN You dropped it or crashed it you wouldn't feel so bad.

When you get it back. SLOW DOWN.. take it out somewhere there is less traffic. Practice stopping, starting, quick stops, turning.. etc.. You really need much more practice than the MSF/Rider's Edge program offers. Knowing what to do and actually DOING what you are supposed to do are different animals. It takes time.

Take it as an expensive lesson learned.. You'll get there.. but don't even THINK you are a good rider for at least a season or two.. then realize you are NOT.. and then take the Advanced Rider's Edge/MSF course and correct all the bad habits you've developed. Then apologize to your new bike and promise to ride carefully!

Good luck, get well soon.. Practice Practice Practice!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the only motorcycle club you should really not want to be a part of.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

You know exactly what you did wrong, you won't do that again. Good lesson learned and you are OK. Could have been worse. Now get the bike fixed and practice some more, taking it easy! Good Luck, you can do it!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 PM
kraydog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shitt happens,get over it and carry on soldier !

Quick Reply: It was bound to happen...