General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen Tire Filling

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 03:23 AM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Nitrogen Tire Filling

Don't waste your time with nitrogen... Just another clever marketing scheme to transfer a little more of YOUR money into THEIR pocket. As others have said, without a system to purge the tires, you're wasting your time & money.

Quick story about air and tires... Back in the late 60s when I was a young andclever lad, I thought I'd have a bit of fun at the local filling station. Gas was about 26 cents a gallon in those days,and you'd have to coast in empty and spill some on the groundtoring up75 centswith a Sportster. I was gettingthe bike ready for theseason and it was a beautiful day to ride.

Theattendant walked out andasked what I wanted for gas."Fill 'er up with High Test." I said. Hefilled it right to the top, probably about 50-60cents worth. Iwiped the tank off,twisted the filler cap back on and paid the guy for the gas. As he walked back to the office, Iproceded to rollthe Sportster over to the air machine that stood just outside the right hand bay of the garage. It was one of those old fashioned whitegadgets with the crank and two-digit dial, and when filling a tire, it rang the same dinger bell that gas customers rang when they drove over the rubber hose.When the'da-ding'stopped ringing, the tire was pressurized to whatever value was on the dial.

I knelt down at the front tire and unscrewed the valve stem. (Remember those notched steel stem caps that you turned around to remove the valve stem core?) I let all the air out of the front tire, then screweda newvalve stem core back in. I proceded to then crank the dial up to 32 psi (or whatever it was),and blew up the tire. I was about half way through the same procedure with the rear tire when the tell tale whistle of escaping air'da-ding' of the air machine working caught theattendant's attention. Heambled on overand asked: "Whatcha got... A flat?"

I replied: "Nope... I'm changin'the air. Igot winter air in 'emfor storage,and nowI gotta get summer air in 'em or they'll bust when I get out on the interstate." (What I was really doing was changing the valve stem cores, which is something I did every year when I broughtmy bikes out of winter hibernation... But he didn't know that)

Theguy just stood there with this real puzzled look on his face as I finished up the back tire, screwed the stem cover back on, rolled up and hungthe red air hose on the hook, kicked theengine to lifeand rode off to whever it was I was going.

Ahhh... those were the days!