General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Radio Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:39 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 2013 Radio Problems

My radio has worked without fault for 4 months, then all of the sudden this problem starts. It is on a 2013 with Harley's GPS interface wiring kit.

The radio will be playing fine then I have no sound. No GPS directions, no AM/FM, no XM, nothing. If I turn the radio off and wait about 2 minutes then turn it back on the sound will come back on for 2 minutes up to 10 minutes. There are times it takes waiting 5 to 10 minutes with the radio off before it will play.

This morning it would not come on when I turned the bike's switch on, but eventually came on after about 15 minutes into the ride. Just a note: when the sound goes off, if I don't turn the radio off then back on, the sound never comes back on. The display on the radio looks as if nothing is wrong, IE: looks like the CD is playing and the XM is showing the song and artist.

Just was curious if anyone had experienced this issue, both dealers in my area have not heard of this happening with anyone else.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:56 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

All of your symptoms describe a "thermal" problem with a component in the radio's audio circuit. What that means in simple terms is, you have a bad radio. Take it to the dealer and have it replaced under warranty.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:19 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes it should be replaced

if this happens after the warranty runs out, there is a place you can send the radio to for inspection. They use a high powered magnifier and usually find a crack in the circuit board which is then soldered together

Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 AM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cHarley
All of your symptoms describe a "thermal" problem with a component in the radio's audio circuit. What that means in simple terms is, you have a bad radio. Take it to the dealer and have it replaced under warranty.
+1 on that. You have a warranty for exactly this kind of problem. It sounds like maybe you've had it at the dealer and they've not resolved it....? Just because they've not heard of it doesn't mean they shouldn't address it.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Cholo
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad I don't have a radio.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Helion1234
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel stupid answering this but I had a very similar problem. It turns out I had the CB turned on and the squelch was all the way down. Only if there was no CB radio traffic or noise would the radio, CD or weather work. I didn't hear the CB because I didn't have my headset on and had the speaker selector set for headset with the CB. The music was still playing through the external speakers. This may be your problem as it took me 2 days before I realized what i had done.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 PM
cb7263
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Helion1234
I feel stupid answering this but I had a very similar problem. It turns out I had the CB turned on and the squelch was all the way down. Only if there was no CB radio traffic or noise would the radio, CD or weather work. I didn't hear the CB because I didn't have my headset on and had the speaker selector set for headset with the CB. The music was still playing through the external speakers. This may be your problem as it took me 2 days before I realized what i had done.
Same here, CB was on and the speaker rocker was in a position that allowed the CB to try and transmit through the headset, so the radio faded and or stopped all together at times.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 AM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That happened to me too. I almost went to the dealer but I remembered that I was using the CB that weekend. Sometimes you just need more coffee and sit there and think about it.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

On my 12, the radio comes on with a message 'Radio Not Synchronized' Ongoing issue since it was new 15 months ago.. Going to the dealer for the 3rd time, I think there's a reset somewhere on it... Not telling me when I ask..

Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Smile NIM Issue?

The next time it happens look at the radio display. If it says "Phone/Nav" then the Navigation Interface Module is defective. This is a common issue with the Navigation Interface Modules (NIM).

jim@hdbomm.com

Quick Reply: 2013 Radio Problems