General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If The MOCO Hired You To Design A New Bike...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013 | 10:16 AM
popawcritter
|
Road Warrior
Default If The MOCO Hired You To Design A New Bike...

If The MOCO Hired You To Design A New Bike... What would You Come Up With?

I've thought about off and on for years, usually when they come out with something I dislike.First let me say I didn't start this thread to bash the new waterheads, there are plenty of other threads where I could join in on that.I think as the engines get bigger and bigger there comes a point where there is no choice but to find new ways to cool them.I figure there is a full liquid cooled new engine design we will see soon and these waterheads are just to bridge the gap and get us used to what is coming but I know nothing of their plans and I just make this up as I go.

Now the liquid cooled isn't for me,I am old enough and set in my ways to confidently say I will never own one. That doesn't mean I think they shouldn't make them and I don't begrudge anyone who wants one.However that brings me to the point of the thread. As they look to bring in new blood with their new designs I wish they would not discard guys like me who wouldn't have a problem buying a new bike if they made one that appealed to me. They have the big engine bikes they currently make and there is talk of a small light weight bike in the works for beginners, How about some middle ground?

I remember when 74" was a big motor and it served me and a lot of others well.It ran good and didn't need a radiator to stay cool. So if somehow I won the "designer lottery" (wouldn't it be cool if they had one) I can think of 2 bikes I would design with new modern dependability.

#1... A retro looking FL style (think Duo Glide) with a air cooled, carburetor option 74" single cam, big twin that would be lighter, more nimble,less expensive than the road king.I think it would appeal to new riders,older riders with knees that aren't what they used to be, and anyone in between on a budget or a thirst for nostalgia maybe.

#2... Would be something that looks like the Sportster 72, peanut tank, 21" skinny spoke front wheel,stripped down and lean with the same 74" big twin I mentioned above.

I would buy either of those tomorrow if they were available. I realize everyone has a different taste and those might not appeal to anyone but me.

What would You design?

Last edited by popawcritter; 10-03-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2013 | 10:23 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Mine would definitely have more of a 70s or 80s look to it. In the last few year Harley Davidson has taken a turn (looks and style wise) that has left me behind. To each his own, excluding a touring bikes, but it has been quite a few years since I've seen a bike on a show room floor that I liked.

Old 10-03-2013 | 10:30 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master

HD needs to have another extremely nostolgic bike, like the springer softtail (but even moreso), as a response to those who might consider the Indian Chief. Indian is going to play heavily on their history and HD needs to remind the public that they can do the same thing. Pay homage to the golden age of their history.

HD already has the best tourers out there, and much more attractive than the competition. It wouldn't take much to add all the little extra electronics and adjustable windscreens to the current models, so that just would be a refresh. But if you're talking about what completely new model they need, it has to be something that screams nostolgia.

Old 10-03-2013 | 10:33 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Simple....I would make a stripped down version of the current Road King. No factory bags, no crash bar, no auxiliary lights, etc.
Basically similar looks of a Dyna Super Glide Custom on a touring frame.
Also with an air cooled 110.

Old 10-03-2013 | 10:35 AM
Squee
Cruiser

I would design something of a cafe with a dark custom look to it... but that is just me.

Old 10-03-2013 | 12:11 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

All across the board, with the exception of v-rods, I would get rid of water cooling in favor of oil cooling.

Eliminate twin cam "A" engines to where all big twins would use the balanced engine, thus increasing parts commonality and interchangeability.

As for as a specific bike, bring back the duo glide that was featured in X Men Origins:Wolverine.

To me, styling has been dubious for the last several years. In the 90's, models were distinctive and styling was better.

Bikes like the crossbones probably started off as good ideas but by the time they hit production, it seemed like so many things ended up wrong. Just look how goofy the skull and crossbones decal is! They had a chance to build something outlaw looking and very bad *** but instead ended up with a caricature of what should have been.

I have to say, I really like the heritage softail classic, but then again, it has remained largely unchanged stylistically since it's introduction.

The paint schemes on the CVO's are atrocious, and the softail deluxe is especially clownlike.

What the hell is up with the dual headlight atrocity with the butt ugly rear fender?

Factory flame decals? Really? So half assed done that I would be embarrassed to have one with it.

Bring back distinctive metal tank badges on every single bike! The ones on the 2014 Road king look cool and so do the anniversary bronze looking ones.

I was at the dealer a few days ago and they started up a new bike on the showroom floor. I could not believe my ears when I heard how fast it idles compared to my old evo. That kind of thing just doesn't seem right.

I wouldn't mind seeing HD start designing and building their own helmets. By doing this, maybe the helmet could incorporate some of the features of touring models with better technological integration.

Maybe some improvement in tire technology such as run flat tires.

I am surprised they don't have something like GM's OnStar service. Lots of tourers would be overjoyed to have something like that.

One more thing. How about a center stand on every bike? It makes maintenance so much easier. My old Honda I was riding in the 80's while in high school had one and I used it all the time.

Old 10-03-2013 | 01:47 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Sportster XR1200CF Cafe Racer.

*1200CC engine
*Steeper rake angle and a shorter wheelbase than the current 883 models for precise turn-in and sharp handling.
*Comes standard with Oberon adjustable levers
*13" shocks in the rear w 5 way preload adjuster, inverted front fork with preload and damping adjustment. Front fork is 2" over to make clip ons attach easy.
*Comes with clubman bars or the dealer will install clipons for you at purchase time.
*Hydraulic clutch
*Stainless brake lines
*Front brake is a dual disc, four piston caliper setup
*Rear brake is a single disc, dual piston setup.
*Front and rear wheels are forged alloy, allowing for proper 180 size sport rubber.
*Belt tensioner borrowed from the Buell bikes.
*Front fork steering damper is standard.
*Gauges are retro dual analog style
*Front headlight is a single 7" bucket
*Exhaust comes standard as a racing style 2-1, but HD will offer a Scrambler option with the classic high scrambler style and shields.
*New 3.5 gallon tank is longer but more narrow.

Old 10-03-2013 | 03:15 PM
JaySwear
Road Captain

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Sportster XR1200CF Cafe Racer.

*1200CC engine
*Steeper rake angle and a shorter wheelbase than the current 883 models for precise turn-in and sharp handling.
*Comes standard with Oberon adjustable levers
*13" shocks in the rear w 5 way preload adjuster, inverted front fork with preload and damping adjustment. Front fork is 2" over to make clip ons attach easy.
*Comes with clubman bars or the dealer will install clipons for you at purchase time.
*Hydraulic clutch
*Stainless brake lines
*Front brake is a dual disc, four piston caliper setup
*Rear brake is a single disc, dual piston setup.
*Front and rear wheels are forged alloy, allowing for proper 180 size sport rubber.
*Belt tensioner borrowed from the Buell bikes.
*Front fork steering damper is standard.
*Gauges are retro dual analog style
*Front headlight is a single 7" bucket
*Exhaust comes standard as a racing style 2-1, but HD will offer a Scrambler option with the classic high scrambler style and shields.
*New 3.5 gallon tank is longer but more narrow.
I want one already!

Old 10-03-2013 | 03:20 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

For me - to go right next to my SG

An Adventure Touring bike to compete with and beat the BMW GS, Ducati MultiStrada and Yamaha Tenere.

A new motor "loosley based on" punched out and breathed on , air and oil cooled, Buell/sportster 1200 motor, but I'd want it counterbalanced and solid mount,
6 speed trans (unit construction with the motor)
Shaft drive - that does not explode like the Beemers
Complete bad *** full frame with full skids and high exhaust pipes - no bullshit half frame with the motor hanging out below waiting to get punched with rocks
Killer electronically adjustable suspension front and rear
tubeless spoked wheels front and rear
cruise, abs and traction control with multiple modes and the ability to easily be turned on and off
offroad capable luggage
offorad pegs, folding levers, handlebars, barkbusters, gps, just set it up right

Yep - like to build it and then run all over hells half acre with it while the adventure faithfull and mainstream motorcyle media crap their pants and bitch and moan that it's a Harley.

Old 10-03-2013 | 03:23 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin
Veteran: Army

I'd like something similar to the Street Glide only lower but still having the suspension of an Ultra. My 28" inseam just doesn't do well on a tall bike.

Quick Reply: If The MOCO Hired You To Design A New Bike...