General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If The MOCO Hired You To Design A New Bike...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013 | 01:12 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Default perfect

Originally Posted by Proteus
let them bring the 1941 Knucklehead back

Old 10-05-2013 | 10:55 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior

I would design a brand new engine using 21st century technology.

I would shorten the stoke of the 883 to 3 inches, giving about a 700cc engine, give it dual overhead cams with variable valve lift and timing. Knock sensors would allow full spark advance based on the gas octane. Maybe even water cool it.

Next thing I would improve is the suspension, add adjustable rebound / compression to the shocks and a monotube type front fork, include optional spring rates based on rider/gear/passenger weight.

Add a six speed overdrive transmission to the sportster.

Old 10-05-2013 | 03:53 PM
teflon
Road Captain

they need a touring bike (like a street glide) but it needs to have all the goodies removable without hurting the look. For city rippin u should b able to take off bags and fairing. have easy suspension adjustments for inseams. more reliable power. put a fan up under the tank that blows down onto the motor as i like the air cooled deal. u should be able to order if you like with options such as wheels (more than 2 choices)

Old 10-05-2013 | 08:04 PM
Rampant
Tourer

I would toss the lame B engine (riding a soft tail feels just like my old Kawasaki Vulcan 900. Lame.)

I would do a cross between the wide glide and road king. Long, raked a bit, bike front wheel (but thick) with the wide forks. Detachable bags that would let you be a bagger OR stripper down chopper. I would make it come with a stock 2" tank lift as well.

Old 10-05-2013 | 10:28 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

Originally Posted by Rampant
I would toss the lame B engine (riding a soft tail feels just like my old Kawasaki Vulcan 900. Lame.)

Oh please. Go buy a vibrator already . . .

Last edited by Sleeko; 10-05-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2013 | 09:14 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior

It sounds like HD already hired most of you guys already, not designing anything new, just redesigning the old. HD had some good ideas but let the bean counters force them to the old parts bin. A 600 pound dual sport bike is going nowhere. A V-Rod in a Road King wouldn't sell...hell the V-Rod doesn't sell. They still can't made the V-Rod look right. Making a Bobber...we do that ourselves. The best you could do at Harley is design the new 500cc bike. But watch, it will end up a small Sportster. Same frame, bad forks & shocks, maybe worse. Just a smaller engine.
I would hate to be a designer there. Let's not forget Eric Buel and how well his deigns went over.

Old 10-07-2013 | 11:25 AM
NooneOfConsequence
Cruiser

Originally Posted by johnjay
It sounds like HD already hired most of you guys already, not designing anything new, just redesigning the old. HD had some good ideas but let the bean counters force them to the old parts bin. A 600 pound dual sport bike is going nowhere. A V-Rod in a Road King wouldn't sell...hell the V-Rod doesn't sell. They still can't made the V-Rod look right. Making a Bobber...we do that ourselves. The best you could do at Harley is design the new 500cc bike. But watch, it will end up a small Sportster. Same frame, bad forks & shocks, maybe worse. Just a smaller engine.
I would hate to be a designer there. Let's not forget Eric Buel and how well his deigns went over.
Man, as I read over this thread that is EXACTLY what I thought!
Everybody asking for a "retro" this or an "FLXYZABC" that was made 25 years ago. How about something, ANYTHING, that ISN'T "retro". They had it with Buell (and they were on track to make some truly INCREDIBLE bikes) but cut that arm off when their idiotic "let's sell a 1,000,00 bikes to people that can't afford them" strategy went belly up.

Last edited by NooneOfConsequence; 10-07-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2013 | 11:32 AM
oct1949
Club Member

For me at my age, just bring back the Heritage Springer with all the new stuff. I still drool over pictures of the older ones.

I'd have one pretty quick in the garage.

Old 10-07-2013 | 02:42 PM
popawcritter
|
Road Warrior

People that liked retro styling has kept Harley alive for the last 100 years. My first memories of Harley are of my Gran-dad on a 42 WL/WLA. I don't mind them moving forward with progress but leave some old style for old coots like me. Only time will tell if it pays off for them hitching their wagons to the new generation that will leave them for the next fad to come along. Yesterday they were on a busa,today a Harley, tomorrow a victory. A 100 years worth of retro got HD where they are today.It's a shame to see it flushed away. Just this old guys opinion...

Old 10-07-2013 | 03:16 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

Originally Posted by popawcritter
People that liked retro styling has kept Harley alive for the last 100 years. My first memories of Harley are of my Gran-dad on a 42 WL/WLA. I don't mind them moving forward with progress but leave some old style for old coots like me. Only time will tell if it pays off for them hitching their wagons to the new generation that will leave them for the next fad to come along. Yesterday they were on a busa,today a Harley, tomorrow a victory. A 100 years worth of retro got HD where they are today.It's a shame to see it flushed away. Just this old guys opinion...
Interesting especially since the new Indian motorcycles seem to be about retro exclusively. Time will tell how this plan pans out.

Quick Reply: If The MOCO Hired You To Design A New Bike...