General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If The MOCO Hired You To Design A New Bike...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013 | 06:08 AM
Proteus
Road Master

Let them bring the 1941 Knucklehead back!

Or a big twin with parallel pushrods, an unit case like the XL, and the belt on the right side of the bike.

Wait!

Wait!

Cough-cough-Indian-just-did-it-cough-cough!

Old 10-04-2013 | 10:13 AM
popawcritter
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Sportster XR1200CF Cafe Racer.

*1200CC engine
*Steeper rake angle and a shorter wheelbase than the current 883 models for precise turn-in and sharp handling.
*Comes standard with Oberon adjustable levers
*13" shocks in the rear w 5 way preload adjuster, inverted front fork with preload and damping adjustment. Front fork is 2" over to make clip ons attach easy.
*Comes with clubman bars or the dealer will install clipons for you at purchase time.
*Hydraulic clutch
*Stainless brake lines
*Front brake is a dual disc, four piston caliper setup
*Rear brake is a single disc, dual piston setup.
*Front and rear wheels are forged alloy, allowing for proper 180 size sport rubber.
*Belt tensioner borrowed from the Buell bikes.
*Front fork steering damper is standard.
*Gauges are retro dual analog style
*Front headlight is a single 7" bucket
*Exhaust comes standard as a racing style 2-1, but HD will offer a Scrambler option with the classic high scrambler style and shields.
*New 3.5 gallon tank is longer but more narrow.
Something like this would go over very well and speaking of scrambler pipes how about an 883/1200 scrambler "Dual Sport" as they would be called now. I have thought about converting one of my Sportsters like that after seeing a few recent scrambler projects in some mags. A factory version would be cool,with decent adjustable suspension for on or off road, good bars,scrambler pipes,& a decent seat.

Something like this only more traditional scrambler pipes with heat shields.

Last edited by popawcritter; 10-04-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-04-2013 | 10:47 AM
steamybob
Tourer

Something oozing nostalgia to compete with the Indian Chief.

I thought the CVO Deluxe might go some way towards this, but it's been an opportunity wasted.

Old 10-04-2013 | 10:52 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by steamybob
Something oozing nostalgia to compete with the Indian Chief.

I thought the CVO Deluxe might go some way towards this, but it's been an opportunity wasted.
You ain't lying. CVO Deluxe is a clown bike and it is almost like everything that is wrong with hd today is represented by that bike.

Old 10-04-2013 | 11:00 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by popawcritter
Something like this would go over very well and speaking of scrambler pipes how about an 883/1200 scrambler "Dual Sport" as they would be called now. I have thought about converting one of my Sportsters like that after seeing a few recent scrambler projects in some mags. A factory version would be cool,with decent adjustable suspension for on or off road, good bars,scrambler pipes,& a decent seat.

Something like this only more traditional scrambler pipes with heat shields.
Now we are talking!

A powerful sporty that wasn't slammed, and had a nice set of high scrambler pipes and semi knobby, tubeless rubber like you see here:

If The MOCO Hired You To Design A New Bike...-fqnqpqc.jpg

It would be nothing but "shut up and take my money" from the generation (my generation, guys in their 30s, which is exactly the market HD has been courting with the 48/iron/72).

Last edited by parabellum_9x19; 10-04-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2013 | 11:26 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

#1... A retro looking FL style (think Duo Glide) with a air cooled, carburetor option 74" single cam, big twin that would be lighter, more nimble,less expensive than the road king.I think it would appeal to new riders,older riders with knees that aren't what they used to be, and anyone in between on a budget or a thirst for nostalgia maybe.

Simple....I would make a stripped down version of the current Road King. No factory bags, no crash bar, no auxiliary lights, etc.
Basically similar looks of a Dyna Super Glide Custom on a touring frame.
Also with an air cooled 110.

They basically HAVE one...it's called the Switchback.

Old 10-04-2013 | 11:30 AM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member

something like this...it's what the crossbones should have been

Old 10-04-2013 | 11:32 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

I would bring back the NightTrain with the original ducktail (Leave off that stupid looking bobbed POS that is on so many bikes now) but all the engine stuff would be GLOSS black instead of wrinkle.

I would bring back the Low Rider, but with the SuperGlide Custom tank.

And, I would get rid of said stupid bobbed fenders on all the bikes (why does Harley think we all want bobbers?) and bring back REAL rear fenders.

I would dump all the "parts bin" bikes...Blackline,Fatbob,Breakout,Switchback,FB lo,etc.

Old 10-04-2013 | 11:37 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Prot
You ain't lying. CVO Deluxe is a clown bike and it is almost like everything that is wrong with hd today is represented by that bike.
Only thing I see wrong with it is that the speedo should be on the tank. Looks like a CVO "parts bin" bike.

Old 10-04-2013 | 12:01 PM
popawcritter
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dickey
Simple....I would make a stripped down version of the current Road King. No factory bags, no crash bar, no auxiliary lights, etc.
Basically similar looks of a Dyna Super Glide Custom on a touring frame.
Also with an air cooled 110.

They basically HAVE one...it's called the Switchback.
Looks wise that is exactly what I'm talking but...I realize I am totally in the minority it seems ... I wouldn't want a big furnace of a twin cam. Give the bikes more options for engines. 110 or 103 TC for those who want them but if I'm going retro I would give it something like the S&S version of a modern Shovel or even their modern Pan, or an EVO design in several size options...74", 80" or a Ninety something upgrade would be my choices.

I know I could go buy a Switchback, make a few cosmetic changes, add a new S&S Pan/Shovel and have what I am looking for but If I was to design one for MOCO you could buy it that way right off the floor factory warranty and all.Forget about factory Stage One it would be a factory Stage Super Retro or some other silly name that someone gets paid to dream up... LOL!

Last edited by popawcritter; 10-04-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: If The MOCO Hired You To Design A New Bike...