General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If The MOCO Hired You To Design A New Bike...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013 | 06:42 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

OP your #2 is the 72. You do know that the 1200 cc is "74" cu. in.

Where was every one when the 90hp XR1200 was available? It would hang with the Vrod in the 1/4, great brakes, purpose built as a flat track race bike, bullet proof, quick steering, great suspension front and rear and probably was the best air cooled bike HD has built. It had a little secret were that power came from. The same system in the wet heads with the tubing around the exhaust valve was in the XR. Only it used a second oil pump and used an oil cooler. Of course they just used what was in the Buell parts bin for the engine. Thank you Eric Buell.

WOT launches when hitting 5,500 the bike would almost tear away from your hands until the 7K red line.

But everyone must have thought it was a "girls bike". Dumb jack wads.

Now it is no longer made. You will have to pry mine from my cold dead hands.

In my garage is the perfect bike. But I can only ride part of it each ride. It is called SportsterDynaSoftailVrodUltraRoadglideCVO with the 12008896103110 engine.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-03-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-03-2013 | 06:56 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Rocket power and duel Gatling Guns!

Old 10-03-2013 | 07:03 PM
popawcritter
|
Road Warrior

I like the way the thread is going so far. I see a lot of good ideas I like. Seems lots of folks miss the Springers, I would like to see it as a factory option on several bikes even outside the Softail line.Really liked the idea of a stripped down bag-less Road King idea, throw a Springer option on it maybe a Springer Switchback as well. Nostalgia sells and the company knows it, I think they are missing out on a segment of it as they are moving forward.

Keep em' coming maybe the Mothership will see this and pick up a few ideas. LOL!

Old 10-03-2013 | 07:09 PM
popawcritter
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lh4x4
OP your #2 is the 72. You do know that the 1200 cc is "74" cu. in.

Where was every one when the 90hp XR1200 was available? It would hang with the Vrod in the 1/4, great brakes, purpose built as a flat track race bike, bullet proof, quick steering, great suspension front and rear and probably was the best air cooled bike HD has built. It had a little secret were that power came from. The same system in the wet heads with the tubing around the exhaust valve was in the XR. Only it used a second oil pump and used an oil cooler. Of course they just used what was in the Buell parts bin for the engine. Thank you Eric Buell.

WOT launches when hitting 5,500 the bike would almost tear away from your hands until the 7K red line.

But everyone must have thought it was a "girls bike". Dumb jack wads.

Now it is no longer made. You will have to pry mine from my cold dead hands.

In my garage is the perfect bike. But I can only ride part of it each ride. It is called SportsterDynaSoftailVrodUltraRoadglideCVO with the 12008896103110 engine.
Yes, but if you will notice I said 74" big twin. Not knocking Sporties, I have 2 1200s in the garage.I would just like to see a basic air cooled 74" big twin again, this is after all make believe where you can have it any way you want it...

Old 10-03-2013 | 07:20 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

Id make one with a V-12 blown engine. That way you could hit the bar the first thing and not have to modify it.

Old 10-03-2013 | 07:34 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

I forgot to mention wheels. I mean really. Some of these wheels they are putting on these bikes look like Homer Simpson designed them, with the very worst being the wheels on the Switchback. Even the fenders on the Switch don't look right. They remind me of those cheap after market fenders where none of the dimensions are quite right.

I like what they did with the chrome fat boy wheels. The CVO Breakout wheels are pretty cool too. Maybe the idea is to intentionally put on ugly wheels from the factory so you would want to buy new wheels right away?

Rehire Eric Buell. Eric Buell designed the FXR frame long before he started Buell Motorcycles which was subsequently bought out by HD.

Fire anybody that has anything to do with a boat tail rear fender. If Willie G was still working, fire him too because of such nonsense.

Remember when Harleys had chrome front fenders? Maybe try that out on a sportster and a street bob.

Enough of the glitter already. If they really wanted to get interesting with paint, go with House of Kolor. They have a broad pallet with many interesting effects.

To me one of the best paint schemes was in the late 80's and early 90's. It was birch white and teal. I saw a springer softail (skinny 21" wheel from factory) with that paint on it as well as a Heritage and every time I just stared in awe in not only the colors, but the simple design and graphic and the way the whole thing came together to look right on the bike.

How about a battery that is easier to change? Or at least have accessible connections for a jump start.

Since the iPhone has finger print recognition, maybe employing that same technology as an optional security measure. I'd also like to see better fork locks. Maybe the fork locks could either use finger print recognition or if they want to stay with the fob system, have the fob lock and unlock the forks. i prefer simple things, but don't mind technology when there is a real benefit such as addressing theft.

Each model needs to be it's own model and stand on it's own. Right now we have the Street Glide and Street Glide Special. What's the difference? Mostly a radio I think?

How many Electra Glides we are up to now?

Each model needs to be more distinctive and instead offer an array of options on each model instead of saying it's a different model because it has a different radio and a couple of other minor things.

Encourage dealers to work on older bikes. Now, most dealers will not touch an evolution. When you ask why, they say it is too old then they say you to need to trade it in on a new one. Why not embrace old timers, or people with older bikes to where you can build a better relationship with the customer and treat them like part of the family.

Last but certainly not least.

Seats! Why not design a seat to where it will be just like a normal two person seat. Then, when you want to ride solo, have the passenger section swivel up to make a back rest for the rider. It can be done. Look at the trick seat that was on the rocker c. Basically do the reverse.

Old 10-03-2013 | 07:41 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I'd dump the twin cam and "modernize" the big twins with a big sporty engine, 110 cu in in that design could easily pump out 120 hp, but 100 would be enough to pull the touring bikes just fine. Put a better clutch in it, no brass riveted plates, and it would have the potential to be the most reliable Harley engine ever. Much simpler to maintain, too, with gear driven cams, just two oil holes and integrated transmission. Counter balance that engine in rubber mounts, could be the smoothest Harley engine, too. Go back to premium American bearings throughout, take a hard look at the aftermarket suspension parts so many of us are using and match them, and do something with those seats - lot of older riders have old butts that like a little (lot?) more cushion. As far as styling, doesn't matter what the Moco comes up with, we're gonna make it look a little different, been that way since the 50's anyway.

Old 10-03-2013 | 08:02 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I'd like to see the MoCo give us the choice to go with either the new "chopped" fender look or the older duck tails and fuller fenders.

I'd like to see the MoCo design an engine that isn't as much a compromise and use better materials and make them built for longevity.

I'd like to see the MoCo use modern aluminum frames and body to reduce weight.

I'd like to see all the bikes about 15%-20% lighter.

I'd like the MoCo to offer more choices like the HD1 program that offers more seat, handlebars and leg position choices out of the box.

I'd like to see the Sportster not only lighter but with about 25% more power. I wouldn't mind seeing a 100hp Sporty out of the box. 450# and 100hp stock would be a screamer for a Harley.

There's no reason the MoCo can't go forward with modern designs while still embracing the rich history it has.

Old 10-03-2013 | 08:18 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Imold
I'd dump the twin cam and "modernize" the big twins with a big sporty engine, 110 cu in in that design could easily pump out 120 hp, but 100 would be enough to pull the touring bikes just fine. Put a better clutch in it, no brass riveted plates, and it would have the potential to be the most reliable Harley engine ever. Much simpler to maintain, too, with gear driven cams, just two oil holes and integrated transmission. Counter balance that engine in rubber mounts, could be the smoothest Harley engine, too. Go back to premium American bearings throughout, take a hard look at the aftermarket suspension parts so many of us are using and match them, and do something with those seats - lot of older riders have old butts that like a little (lot?) more cushion. As far as styling, doesn't matter what the Moco comes up with, we're gonna make it look a little different, been that way since the 50's anyway.
So you want to step back to an evo motor? Maybe not a bad idea.

Old 10-03-2013 | 08:21 PM
The Biscuit
Cruiser

to every post add a better seat.

Quick Reply: If The MOCO Hired You To Design A New Bike...