General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS 'Bait' Bikes Used To Nab Thieves At Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:09 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: GPS 'Bait' Bikes Used To Nab Thieves At Daytona

ABSOLUTELY WRONG HERE IN TEXAS.....section 9 of Vernons Code states "to protect yourself, others, your property, or property entrusted to you" .... i live with it every nite as a repoman...the DA cannot even charge someone for shooting me or one of my agents after dark...no i've never shot anyone, would hate to have to live with it...i can usually deter folks from about anything without a gun

ORIGINAL: BuckeyeHD

Theft sucks. Couple of points I thought about:

1. You don't need the keys to steal a Harley.
2. Lethal force to prevent theft is against the law.

Just my $0.02.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

ORIGINAL: Ram

Any of you big talkers ever shot someone? On purpose, and with a real gun?
I'm not one of those your addressing.

But I will be after this question I'm addingto yours:

Have you ever have a criminal with intentto do harm to you, holda loaded gun to your head or anyone you know,and lived to tell about it?

I have.

I don't have a problem shooting someone.
Why, yes - I have. That's not the same as stealing my property. And did you kill them? Even the most righteous of killings brings some guilt, and yes - been there, done that. Not willing to take another person's life over replaceable property.
It was only one person. No I didn't kill him. And in my case itwas the same as stealing my property, I was being held-up, robbed at gun point, I was told that if I didn't give him all my money, I was going to be shot. I was driving cab at the time.

Property is not worth a life.

Shooting someone whenthe situation warrentsdoes not always mean lethal force.

However ifsomeone ever puts a gun to my head again they will notlive to tell about. Even if it gets me killed doing so.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:11 AM
MAchonewon
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: flakdog

ORIGINAL: Ram

I'm not one of those your addressing.

But I will be after this question I'm addingto yours:

Have you ever have a criminal with intentto do harm to you, holda loaded gun to your head or anyone you know,and lived to tell about it?

I have.

I don't have a problem shooting someone.
Why, yes - I have. That's not the same as stealing my property. And did you kill them? Even the most righteous of killings brings some guilt, and yes - been there, done that. Not willing to take another person's life over replaceable property.
A little rock salt loaded in a 12 ga. shell is not usually leathal, but it sure is uncomfortable..
Had a friend in High School lose his left eye to bird shot for stealing watermelons. Rock salt didn't work farmer stepped it up with bird shot. Curred a lot of folks forever. I wasn't there when he got shot. However I never stole another watermelon. Oh yeah nobody got the attorney's involved either.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:12 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the macho stuff aside, there is suppose to be a lot of thought and hopefully training done before deciding what you intend to do in any given situation. Talk prior to the event (bragging) is intent, and training classes, forums like these are what people use to decide what they would do in a given situation. There are some that will decide what they will do by macho comments made on a forum, but in real life my bet is that most haven't been totally honest with what would happen. Preperation prior to an event can save many years of mental torment caused by your actions. I personally have taken and continue to take training classes, practice, and read threads like this to help me determine in my mind what I think I would do in a give situation, it's called planning. Although not conclusive, my use of deadly force will be limited to something I can't replace, ie my life, the life of a loved one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting a sign on my garage, "Steal my HD, I won't shoot you". I will branish a weapon in my home, if it is discharged will be your call. The only sheep I intend to be is Christs.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Zero. Lots of ways to handle thieves that won't kill them, and I've taken a few to jail. I'm more than willing to break bones, but to kill someone over a piece of property is something I'm not willing to live with. Those that would do harm to me or another innocent person - that's another story.
Well since I'm not going to take the time to decide on whether or not that person is armed and has the intent to do bodily harm. If they are riding away before I find out, then I'll be placing two calls: police and insurance company. If they are still in the garage (or house, assuming they are going for my TV or something), then all bets are off, since I have no idea if they are armed.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:42 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

I'm with you on this one Crypto...If I can't catch 'em in the act or it's off my property then phone calls are about all I'll be able to do...however...ifsomeone enters my home uninvited and unannounced with the intention of stealing my property or possibly harming me or one of my family members and I'm lucky enough tocatchthem in the act...they better be givin' itup FAST or I WILL shoot...and yes indeed it would be legal under the "make my day" law in Colo.
ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

Well since I'm not going to take the time to decide on whether or not that person is armed and has the intent to do bodily harm. If they are riding away before I find out, then I'll be placing two calls: police and insurance company. If they are still in the garage (or house, assuming they are going for my TV or something), then all bets are off, since I have no idea if they are armed.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:17 PM
cdale976
Road Master

sounds like entrapment to me but it couldn;'t happen to a lower life form and I'm all for it. Don't forget to cut the left hand off. then drop them off at the farm. there's a big ditch out on the lower 40 they can rot in

Old 03-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Ex11b
Advanced

Id like to kill someone who would steal my bike, its my sole transportation to work everyday.
would I? depends, if they were driving away, and i was unable to catch them, nope, because id go to jail.
if i interupted the thieve, and the scumbag tried to run me over, yup, if he tried to fight, and i felt like my life was in danger...yep.
im gonna do everything i can to save my ticket to work.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Aces N Eights

Old 03-11-2007, 03:34 AM
dmlong
Tourer

I'm in the minority up here in WA state where the dirtbag criminals have more rights than the victims but I feel that killing a thief is doing the country a great service......

Quick Reply: GPS 'Bait' Bikes Used To Nab Thieves At Daytona