General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well the new glide was sort lived

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013 | 09:32 AM
Roses
Road Captain

There will never be a law that limits cell phone use that is A) enforceable before the fact or B) effective. If drivers are convicted it is because they look at their cell records at the time of the accident. Cell Companies make way too much money for what they provide and the American people (and everyone else in the world) are too addicted to them. Do you really have to have constant and immediate connectivity with everyone in the world? Are you really that important? No, just to yourself. Everyone is an attention seeker and they are like monkeys with a shiny new toy, constantly fiddling with the darn things for no real reason. I guess that they are so expensive that you have to find constant uses for it to justify the cost.

Old 09-29-2013 | 10:33 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pete6114
Glad you're still with us. Heal up and get legal representation.
New texting, or cell phone use laws here in canada last week. Cant even hold a phone, for any reason or any period of time, while driving. Love it, but also know it wont do wonders. Ya cant legislate against stupidity and ignorance. Mandatory Blockers in cars are the only sure thing.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...871323?cmp=rss
That one statement in bold says it all! Glad the OP is going to heal up.

Old 09-29-2013 | 10:40 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Roses
There will never be a law that limits cell phone use that is A) enforceable before the fact or B) effective. If drivers are convicted it is because they look at their cell records at the time of the accident. Cell Companies make way too much money for what they provide and the American people (and everyone else in the world) are too addicted to them. Do you really have to have constant and immediate connectivity with everyone in the world? Are you really that important? No, just to yourself. Everyone is an attention seeker and they are like monkeys with a shiny new toy, constantly fiddling with the darn things for no real reason. I guess that they are so expensive that you have to find constant uses for it to justify the cost.
Well said!!

Old 09-29-2013 | 11:08 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by WildX
I know I'm going to get shot one day, but I yell at drivers talking on phone or texting at least once a day. I have even reached in an open window, snatched a phone right out to a dudes hand and tossed it.
Wow. You don't how many times I wanted to do that. But I think it would probably do more harm then good because the texterasses could claim bikers are are worse than they are.

What happened after you did this? Just curious?

Old 09-30-2013 | 10:51 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member

Get well soon!

Old 09-30-2013 | 12:30 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

heal up, sue the **** out of the ******** who hit you and ride on....

Old 09-30-2013 | 02:31 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Wow. You don't how many times I wanted to do that. But I think it would probably do more harm then good because the texterasses could claim bikers are are worse than they are.

What happened after you did this? Just curious?
Well, I can tell you what would happen if you or I did it: We'd be getting a police visit at home within hours after the dude caught our license plate. Grabbing a guy's $700 phone and tossing it is a serious offense.

Grabbing it and tossing it back at him, maybe, but tossing it? I call shenanigans.

Old 09-30-2013 | 02:36 PM
Gliden
Club Member

That sucks bad but always could be worse. Wish u a fast heal.

Old 09-30-2013 | 02:40 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Firewoman
How could anyone NOT see a bright orange bike? Was it Mr Magoo that hit you?

I hope you heal fast and that your bike is fixed up better than new.
---
Simple, it takes both eyes to read a text.

I live near a large college and have a company provided car. The sheer number of people texting and driving is staggering. I get nervous when I see someone behind me texting while I am in the car. They are simple to spot. They do the head bob. Head down to read then whip back up for a second to drive then repeat.

I think these folks are trained like Pavlov's dogs to respond to every beep of their phone. Both my cell phones have a "driving mode" that senses motion above 5 mph and turns off texting and sends a message that I am driving.

Get better and try not to kill a texter.

Old 09-30-2013 | 02:49 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jakenok
heal up, sue the **** out of the ******** who hit you and ride on....
----
Sadly this may be the only solution to the problem. Enough insurance companies that have to pay out large settlements will push for laws to limit texting or write insurance policies that raise the rates of those with phones that have texting capability.

Think it can't happen? What happened to diving boards on pools?

Quick Reply: well the new glide was sort lived