General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well the new glide was sort lived

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013 | 12:56 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

I hope you and the bike get sorted fast.

In Kentucky they can get you on the "distracted driving" legislation for talking without handsfree and texting, but they don't seem to police this, and it is rife.

This week I drove to Maryland for meetings and as I crossed over into Maryland I noticed the very bold signs that talking on the phone without handsfree and texting is ILLEGAL and you will be caught and pay the penalty - I have yet to see someone get caught in Kentucky, but in the short time that I was in Maryland I did see one person who had their phone to their ear get pulled over - good on you Maryland LEO.

Old 09-28-2013 | 01:00 PM
KYBill
Road Captain

Glad it didn't turn out worse for you, hope the punctured lung isn't too serious. The bike can definitely be fixed but everyones right, doesn't matter how much bling is on the bike if the other guys not even looking he ain't gonna see it.

Cell phones are no longer car phones. Lots of people use them as their only phone. Making a nanny state law so they cant work while in motion is asinine. If people want to talk on the treadmill or when riding passenger why shouldnt they? Punish the idiot who caused the accident. People have to blow for DUI if theres any suspicion of impairment. Don't see why it cant be mandatory to pull records to see if the phone was in use at the time of an accident if here is suspicion that was a factor. I would say at minimum INSIST that it be added to the police report ( once you are well enough to give your input) that you believe the other driver was looking at a cell phone.

Old 09-28-2013 | 04:14 PM
doc ock
Road Master

Originally Posted by Big Erk
You can't see jack**** if you're not looking at the road. It pisses me off everytime I see it as well. We should have a Bikers Against Texters ride on D.C. or any state capital. Anything to get national attention and awareness to this huge problem.
Your on to something, maybe the AMA could rally "Bikers Against Texters"
https://www.facebook.com/BikersAgainstTexting

Last edited by doc ock; 09-28-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2013 | 04:38 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member

Anytime you can walk out of a hospital with all limbs attached after a motorcycle wreck, it ain't all bad. Very glad you will recover, and looking forward to seeing your bike rebuilt, cause it's a beautiful machine....

Old 09-28-2013 | 04:44 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nevada72
Some interesting stats taken off a gov site -

In 2011, 3,331 people were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver, compared to 3,267 in 2010. An additional, 387,000 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving a distracted driver, compared to 416,000 injured in 2010.

10% of injury crashes in 2011 were reported as distraction-affected crashes.

As of December 2012, 171.3 billion text messages were sent in the US (includes PR, the Territories, and Guam) every month. (CTIA)
11% of all drivers under the age of 20 involved in fatal crashes were reported as distracted at the time of the crash. This age group has the largest proportion of drivers who were distracted.

For drivers 15-19 years old involved in fatal crashes, 21 percent of the distracted drivers were distracted by the use of cell phones (NHTSA)
I bet the real world is much worse. I've seen/been in three accidents in past few years. All phone related.
Case 1. A pickup truck in front of me slowed down to 35 MPH and started going over the lines. There was a long right curve and that truck never turned back to straight, it went right into the ditch and rolled over. When the cops came he told them somebody braked suddenly in front of him. Cops believed it!
Case 2. I stopped at a red light. Another car stopped behind me. A minute later another car came and did not stop, hit the car behind me and it hit my car. She came out of her car still pushing buttons on her phone. She told cops she didn't see the red light. !?! But it was good enough for cops.
Case 3. A pickup truck behind me drove very reasonably. Suddenly it couldn't maintain the speed any more and started going over the lines. There was upcoming traffic when I was braking and stopping for my driveway, that truck hit me from behind at full speed. My car lost about 1/3 of it's length in an instant. He told cops there was sun in his eyes. It was accepted as official reason of accident by cops.

Now, how much are those statistics worth again?

Old 09-28-2013 | 05:02 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry to see what happened to you. Hopefully you heal quick and they fix your bike with no problems. Damn texting should be treated like a DUI.

Old 09-28-2013 | 10:49 PM
dking909
Tourer

Glad you are here to tell the tale.

Old 09-29-2013 | 01:37 AM
Xube
Road Warrior

Sorry about you and the bike getting beat up. I agree with using a lawyer for all of it, including accusing the driver of texting while driving. Good for Canada and Maryland! I don't buy the quoted statistics either. Even the cops are running a keyboard while driving.

Old 09-29-2013 | 03:26 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Hope the texter is prosecuted to the full extent of the law in addition to covering all your bills.

No excuse for this crap.

Old 09-29-2013 | 05:07 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

Glad to hear you're okay...
Been there, done that... Little girl texting took me out a few years ago on my Wide Glide at the Roar to the Shore event in Wildwood... I was a lot luckier than you, not a scratch, just $5500 in damage to the scoot. She hit me square in the back wheel, so glad I didn't have a passenger, it would have cost her a leg.

Attached Thumbnails well the new glide was sort lived-img_0371.jpg   well the new glide was sort lived-img_0372.jpg  

Quick Reply: well the new glide was sort lived