General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well the new glide was sort lived

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013 | 10:30 AM
anonymous_1
Tourer

Dang, that was a clean bike. Hope you heal up quick. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2013 | 10:57 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad you're still with us. Heal up and get legal representation.
New texting, or cell phone use laws here in canada last week. Cant even hold a phone, for any reason or any period of time, while driving. Love it, but also know it wont do wonders. Ya cant legislate against stupidity and ignorance. Mandatory Blockers in cars are the only sure thing.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...871323?cmp=rss

Old 09-28-2013 | 11:30 AM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Looks like the bike can be fixed too.

Old 09-28-2013 | 11:38 AM
cavmedic
Advanced

Originally Posted by DeJavu
For what it's worth, my father was a WWII fighter ace, P47/P51. When I was a kid he would take me up in a Cessna. One main thing he taught me was scanning, constantly moving your eyes from side to side slowly. Your periphial vision doesn't handle movement well, so you cover a field of view by rotating your eyes and looking for movement that way. Unfortunately, getting the general driving public to learn this skill is improbable. You're not scanning if you're texting.
I'll tell you one thing. Since I started taking flying lessons, I am ALWAYS scanning. One thing my instructor drilled into me. Now if they only adopted the same style training and minimum requirements , and check rides for drivers.

Old 09-28-2013 | 11:44 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Texting while driving is now a 5 point offense in NY. Not that I think it will do any good. Using a hand-held cell phone has been illegal for years here, but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't see people driving with phones held to their ear.

As long as these people cling to the cherished belief they THEY AND THEY ALONE are the most important thing in the universe, nothing will change.

Old 09-28-2013 | 11:56 AM
rideflhr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Sorry to hear about this but at least you're okay.

Did they stop? Or do the usual "I didn't see anyone, so why should I stop" trick? If they did, SUE THEIR ***!!!

And if you need any help kicking their butt, let me know. Honestly, if texters died in a one car wreck, it wouldn't bother me at all. Honestly.
The majority of accidents I hear about on the local(knoxville) news are 1car running off the road or one car crossing centerline.I assume these were because of distracted drivers.
I wonder how many people die because of in car gadgets yearly? I also wonder when something will be done about this? Something serious.

Old 09-28-2013 | 12:01 PM
LippCJ7
Cruiser

Hey, you are alive and your bike took the hit pretty good from the pics you posted, Could have been much worse, thankfully you are alive and will ride again.

Old 09-28-2013 | 12:11 PM
WildX
Cruiser

I know I'm going to get shot one day, but I yell at drivers talking on phone or texting at least once a day. I have even reached in an open window, snatched a phone right out to a dudes hand and tossed it.

Old 09-28-2013 | 12:23 PM
cmcoyner
|
Novice

Thanks to everyone for the GWS. I in Bella Vista and yes the trafic in NWA is bad but I should of had a helmit on I know better. The bike will heal faster than me lol. And yes im letting my attorney and the insurance co fight this one. I tryed to ride the bike home last night but thanks to some friends who are smarter than me they stoped me from rideing it home. Thanks god cause I feel like crap this morning. Damn getting old suck just cant jump up from a butt kicking like I use to.
Thanks again to everyone. I will post pics of the new bike build as it comes along.
Good excuse for a 23in front wheel now

Old 09-28-2013 | 12:26 PM
mosendero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Big Erk
You can't see jack**** if you're not looking at the road. It pisses me off everytime I see it as well. We should have a Bikers Against Texters ride on D.C. or any state capital. Anything to get national attention and awareness to this huge problem. Seems like everytime I visit this board, another biker falls victim to a texter. The punishment should fit the crime. If you text and drive and cause bodily harm to another, you should lose your right to drive. In my opinion, the punishment should be the same as driving while intoxicated.

Just glad to see you weren't hurt alot worse. Heal up soon brother.
I drive a semi and ride Harleys and you cannot imagine the bullswheet that I see everyday on the road!

The po po are not enforcing the laws that are in place so I don't think we need more laws but we do need more awareness!

Quick Reply: well the new glide was sort lived