General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well the new glide was sort lived

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013 | 08:10 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Sorry to hear about this but at least you're okay.

Did they stop? Or do the usual "I didn't see anyone, so why should I stop" trick? If they did, SUE THEIR ***!!!

And if you need any help kicking their butt, let me know. Honestly, if texters died in a one car wreck, it wouldn't bother me at all. Honestly.

Old 09-28-2013 | 08:14 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Honestly, if texters died in a one car wreck, it wouldn't bother me at all. Honestly.
It happens all the time. Mostly kids I'll bet. It's still pretty sad because they're just stupid kids. But better than an innocent being taken out.

Some interesting stats taken off a gov site -

In 2011, 3,331 people were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver, compared to 3,267 in 2010. An additional, 387,000 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving a distracted driver, compared to 416,000 injured in 2010.

10% of injury crashes in 2011 were reported as distraction-affected crashes.

As of December 2012, 171.3 billion text messages were sent in the US (includes PR, the Territories, and Guam) every month. (CTIA)
11% of all drivers under the age of 20 involved in fatal crashes were reported as distracted at the time of the crash. This age group has the largest proportion of drivers who were distracted.

For drivers 15-19 years old involved in fatal crashes, 21 percent of the distracted drivers were distracted by the use of cell phones (NHTSA)

Old 09-28-2013 | 08:22 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

that sux...so do drivers that text !

Old 09-28-2013 | 08:33 AM
wingshootin1275
Tourer

Get well soon bro.

Old 09-28-2013 | 08:35 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Happens to often. Heal quickly get back on the road

Old 09-28-2013 | 08:38 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard

Originally Posted by ROLLNTIGER
My biggest fear... Texters. It is an epidemic. Look while driving and see how many people you see on their phones! I recently witnessed a group of Teenage Girls 14-16 walking in a store parking lot and every one of them was attached to their phone walking in a group and each one was looking down. All four were not even talking to each other like ZOMBIES!
it's not only teens....it's the adults too. you should see all the Navy personnel walking around texting while in uniform, especially after an all hands meeting, they all need to get on their phones as soon as the function is on a break or over. Or they will be walking down the hallway pushing supplies from the warehouse up "labor and delivery", one hand on the cart there other hand texting away. Very unprofessional looking. And you know most of them are texting in their vehicles. Then there are the teens who probably got their phone when they turned 12. Most of the blame on teens texting has to be put the on the parents. Have you ever heard of a parent saying, "if I ever see or hear about you texting while driving, your phone will be taken away for a month."

Old 09-28-2013 | 08:46 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

get well soon, glad it wasn't worse. i hate texters.

but, for those who advocate that the gov step in and make it so cell phones don't work while moving, i see 2 arguments against that. first, just how much do you want the gov to protect you? give them an inch, next thing you know, mandatory helmet laws nationwide, air bags, etc.... and secondly, why punish everyone? passengers, people on mass transit, etc...

i think that texting/cell phone usage should be treated as harshly as dui. if not more so. i'd also like to see some type of simulator that could be used in drivers ed courses where the student has to drive a route while texting. it could record how many times they crossed the center line/fog lines, how inconsistent there speed was, how many traffic violations they made, and even go into a violent shaking fit if they caused an accident with video of pieces parts all around, maybe a few body parts etc.... i know it's gruesome, but we had to watch those videos in drivers ed when i was a kid, getting into a collision is nasty business. don't discount the shock value.

Old 09-28-2013 | 09:17 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member

Glad to see your doing good. Could have been much worse. From your pictures, looks like your engine guard saved you some coin.

Old 09-28-2013 | 10:13 AM
Secret_Squirrel
Novice

Whenever we see anyone texting and driving, my wife yells at them from the back. This is exactly why.

Old 09-28-2013 | 10:21 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cmcoyner
left me with broken ribs, punctured lung, road rash and 20000 in hospital bills

Next Tuesday, you can buy Obamacare to cover your pre-existing injuries.

Quick Reply: well the new glide was sort lived