General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail or Dyna??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Gregmeister
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail or Dyna??

I will soon be buying my first bike to celebrate my 50th birthday. After hearing many experienced riders tell me that I'd quickly outgrow a Sportster, I rented one in Vegas last week and I agree with them. Now I would like some help deciding between buying the Softail Custom or the Dyna Wideglide. I prefer the look of the Softail but many Harley salesmen are telling me that the ride on the Dyna is superior. I plan to rent each of them before I buy. Until then any suggestions from this forum would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you--Gregmeister

Old 03-08-2007, 11:40 PM
LakeDude
Advanced
Default RE: Softail or Dyna??

I own a 04 Lowrider and a 07 Fatboy Like Fatboy 2 to 1

Old 03-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I went from the Dyna Low Rider to a Heritage Softail Classic. I think the Dyna was more fun to ride, but the Heritage is more comfortable for longer rides, tough call.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:36 AM
Jovimon
Road Captain

Softail, IMO the balanced engine is the way to go, don't like the rubber mount engine jumping around at idle. Easy choice for me! Ride them both then decide!

Old 03-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jovimon

Softail, IMO the balanced engine is the way to go, don't like the rubber mount engine jumping around at idle. Easy choice for me! Ride them both then decide!
Maybe you should be riding at speed more than sitting around on your bike! [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Greg, you're already on the right track, rent them both and see which one you enjoy the most. It's too hard for us to tell you which one is better, each person is going to have a different opinion! It also depends on the type of riding you plan on doing. The Dyna's will handle better overall, especially for any distance riding (and especially 2-up!). Softtails are nice, but are generally perceived more as bar hopper bikes.

I personally chose a Lowrider when I was in the same quandry as you, and was glad I did. I've ridden other friends softtails (standard, fatboy and deuce) and just didn't like the ride as much. But to each their own!

Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SOFTAIL all the way don't know were people get the idea glides out handle a softail but I say bull I ride with a lot of glide owners and always have to wait or back off to keep from running over them but then again I am a little more agressive rider a bar hopper bike you will see as many glides at a bar as softails maybe more because glide riders tend to be older and need it more often love my 04 softail standad 21 in front and all only bad thing is the front tire wears out to quick by the way I am 65 and ride a lot and fairly long distance 3-5 hundred at a time no problem..

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/8819CDE54BDA4C3587C40D9F199640E8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2007, 12:12 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

glides do out handle a softy ,you can't judge the ride by your friends riding style. That said , thre is a lot more to the choice than handling , just do what yer gonna do and ride em , you'll know which one is right for you (at that given point in time at least ) I really don't think you could go wrong with either bike

Old 03-09-2007, 12:26 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 07 low rider dyna. I love it. Like everyone said longer rider softail is heavy bike and ride softer on windy day. But dyna will pull way from them more of the time.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:27 PM
dynamolowrider
Tourer

I have a 06 fxdli but I like all hds I think they all have there strong points my brother has a 06fxdli & a 04 springer so i got to ride both befor i made my decision. i tend to be more agresive when i ride so i got the low rider. i think that below 65 or70 the st b motor is smoother, but not by much if crusing over 70 the st has a buzz in the foot pegs i dont like.. we have done some 1000 mile weekends my brother complains about only one place for his feet.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Jovimon
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

ORIGINAL: Jovimon

Maybe you should be riding at speed more than sitting around on your bike! [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Greg, you're already on the right track, rent them both and see which one you enjoy the most. It's too hard for us to tell you which one is better, each person is going to have a different opinion! It also depends on the type of riding you plan on doing. The Dyna's will handle better overall, especially for any distance riding (and especially 2-up!). Softtails are nice, but are generally perceived more as bar hopper bikes.

I personally chose a Lowrider when I was in the same quandry as you, and was glad I did. I've ridden other friends softtails (standard, fatboy and deuce) and just didn't like the ride as much. But to each their own!
[sm=chairshot.gif]Never bring a stick to a chair fight! I only sit around on my bike at the bars I must hop to since I ride a bar hopper! Bars in La., Ms., Ark., Tn., Al., Ga., Fl., racked up 20,000 miles "bar hoppin" last year!

[IMG]local://upfiles/8070/DFC22421ADF841C4B993C944EF446C80.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Softail or Dyna??