General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use Engine From Wrecked Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Cheeto
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Use Engine From Wrecked Bike?

A coworker of mine just bought a car from a site called copart.com. Curiosity got the best of me so I went to the site and found they also auction wrecked bikes. Some of the bikes are pretty much brand new with well under 10k miles on the engine/tranny. My thought is that if for some reason I ever needed to do an engine swap in my bike, would it be worth trying to buy one of the wrecked bikes and pull the engine/tranny out of it? Most of the bikes on there are owned by insurance companies just trying to get some money back out of them. A lot of them also just seem to have some front end damage and from the pics, the engines don't look like they even have a scratch.

What are some of your opinions? Think it's worth the risk to get a practically brand new engine/tranny for well under $1k? How difficult would it be to keep a tag on the bike with non-matching vin on frame/engine?

Old 09-27-2013, 02:25 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,254 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I'd do it and in fact may take a look myself. As long as you have a bill of sale with the engine number on it, I don't see why it would be a problem.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:42 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Hey i just bid on about ten of them...
Did someone say "Road Trip"!!!!!!! :-)
http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS

This bike ^^^^must of just made it down the block!! Wow talk about low miles...Never made 1st check-up....

Last edited by riteway; 09-27-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh wow! This could be a dangerous site!

Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 PM
nightmistautomotive
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I've bought wrecked cars/trucks before for parts and/or rebuilds. Bikes... different ball of wax. If you can inspect it before hand, hey knock yourself out. If you can't, it's just going to be a gamble. I've seen car engine blocks with interal crack (fail the machine shop test) from 50mph front end collisions. They had a LOT of padding up front before the engine. Bikes, engines just sitting there. But I'm also assuming any impact great enough to do that, would obliterate the bike. So if they post detailed enough pictures, you might be ok and occasionally get stuck with a lemon. However if you're going to rebuild the whole thing I will say bone up on your states laws regarding bikes that have been "totalled" and how you can get them back on the road and what the title will look like. If it's a salvage/rebuild title (I believe that's the term) the value of the bike (if it follows like cars do) is gonna tank, hard.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:23 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,046 Likes on 12,175 Posts

In a heartbeat. Like others have said, thank you for passing along a new way to part me from my money.

Tim - you and I are going to be in a bidding war on that baby! Lol - jk.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 PM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by riteway
Hey i just bid on about ten of them...
Did someone say "Road Trip"!!!!!!! :-)
http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS

This bike ^^^^must of just made it down the block!! Wow talk about low miles...Never made 1st check-up....
Was it easy to get set up and bid? I think I could enjoy this place!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,660 Likes on 1,261 Posts

They always make it look good. So what's in the fine print when reading the terms and conditions. No one's going to give you a hd for nothing, there is a catch I'm sure.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:08 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Seems too good to be true...this 2013 has a SE 110 in it. Bike looks pretty much trashed except for the engine. Even if you just cannibalized the good bits to build up your stock motor, it might be worth the few hundred bucks it might go for. What would it cost to get rid of the carcass though?

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:29 AM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Most of these bikes have the small print, "on minimum bid". And then if you look at the buy it now price you can get an idea of close to what it will probably sell for.

Quick Reply: Use Engine From Wrecked Bike?