General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wait time

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 PM
wingshootin1275
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wait time

How long should I wait for my HD dealer to get to my bike? Today marks 1 week since my accident and my bike was transferred to one of my local HD dealers the day after. What is a reasonable amnt of time that it should take for them to get to my bike and perform an estimate for repair? They have not even looked at my bike yet and said there are 2 more wrecked bikes in front of it and they are not sure when they will get to mine. How long should I wait for them to get to it before I get irritated with them and have it moved to the other HD dealer in my city? I would think if they haven't got to it by sometime next week that it will be time to say something to them. 2 weeks is plenty of time for them wouldn't you think or am I being impatient? The at faults insurance company is waiting on the estimate so they can determine if the bike will be repaired or totaled out. Thanks

Old 09-26-2013, 06:37 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no difference between your wrecked bike and any service repairs. If they are a week to ten day out on service it is on par.

I will say if you are worrie about a few days on an accent your VERY unreasonable. Wait till you start waiting on your insurance. Nothing you do will accelerate them. All insurance companies work te same too...have fun, glad I'm not dealing with you.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:41 PM
wingshootin1275
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vegashd
There is no difference between your wrecked bike and any service repairs. If they are a week to ten day out on service it is on par.

I will say if you are worrie about a few days on an accent your VERY unreasonable. Wait till you start waiting on your insurance. Nothing you do will accelerate them. All insurance companies work te same too...have fun, glad I'm not dealing with you.
Im not being unreasonable at all. I haven't even questioned the dealer. I was simply asking what a normal time frame would be before I do become irritated. I understand they have bikes in front of mine and I don't expect them to put mine in front of anyone else's.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:47 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

I had a body shop for about 30 years,and was employed at a Chevy dealership shop for 4 years,and a private shop for 6 years. When a wreck came in,an estimate was prepared the same day,or on a bigger job,the next day. The insurance company was contacted immediately,and an adjuster was there usually within 2-4 days.[parts were usually ordered when the estimate was done,repairs began when the adjuster was done looking at the car.]
Most of the problem with Harley dealers is that they are not body shops,and are not experienced with WRECKS.[or I should say,this is probably not their area of expertise.]

Old 09-26-2013, 06:57 PM
vegashd
Banned

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
I had a body shop for about 30 years,and was employed at a Chevy dealership shop for 4 years,and a private shop for 6 years. When a wreck came in,an estimate was prepared the same day,or on a bigger job,the next day. The insurance company was contacted immediately,and an adjuster was there usually within 2-4 days.[parts were usually ordered when the estimate was done,repairs began when the adjuster was done looking at the car.]
Most of the problem with Harley dealers is that they are not body shops,and are not experienced with WRECKS.[or I should say,this is probably not their area of expertise.]
Your kidding right? Harley dealers see all kinds of repairs daily. Near totals weekly.

The motorcycle business is not the automotive world. The big difference is the auto dealerships have body shops that are not doing service work. There are dedicated service people at dealerships who only do estimates. That us not how the motorcycle world works.

Any HD dealership can do wreck just fine. Your replacing parts in most cases not repairing them. Your not dealing with crumple zones.

It's not about how fast the adjuster arrives. It's the decision the office people make. Then you have to disagree it ask for more, then they sometimes sen a second adjuster out, an before you know it a month has gone by

Old 09-26-2013, 08:22 PM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll tell you how mine went just a few months ago when my building was blown away in a big storm and my bike was "just" knocked over.......

Called my insurance company next morning. Thes said take to dealership while they assigned adjuster. Showed Boys at shop what all was wrong not that much really... ...
Adjuster showed up 3 days later estimate came to 3800~ they cut dealership check on spot to fix it ..... when i came by to look at estimate etc they had missed/forgot the seat bike was up on rack. I took pics called adjuster emailed him pics. He swang by 2 days later cut another check for seat.

Took Dealership a month to get parts / do the work.

Most painless easy insurance claim i've ever had (progressive) all my down time was waiting on parts / or getting the work done who really knows naturally they blamed it on parts on order.(entirely possible)

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

first come - first served, seems simple enough. If you don't want to wait for them to get on your bike then call other dealers and ask how soon them can get to it, might cost you to haul it from one shop to another.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:03 PM
vegashd
Banned

Originally Posted by acman308
I'll tell you how mine went just a few months ago when my building was blown away in a big storm and my bike was "just" knocked over.......

Called my insurance company next morning. Thes said take to dealership while they assigned adjuster. Showed Boys at shop what all was wrong not that much really... ...
Adjuster showed up 3 days later estimate came to 3800~ they cut dealership check on spot to fix it ..... when i came by to look at estimate etc they had missed/forgot the seat bike was up on rack. I took pics called adjuster emailed him pics. He swang by 2 days later cut another check for seat.

Took Dealership a month to get parts / do the work.

Most painless easy insurance claim i've ever had (progressive) all my down time was waiting on parts / or getting the work done who really knows naturally they blamed it on parts on order.(entirely possible)

Good luck.
I don't know if ok has done weird law, I have never seen a check cut on the spot by any insurance company.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Lucky Doug
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never had to deal with a crash bike but the few times in the cages the adjusters did the work and never asked for an estimate from someone else. I had one already, they just didn't ask for it. Both times the adjuster was within "pennies" of the estimate. Maybe they asked for an estimate to keep you busy until the adjuster showed up.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When my buddy owned his shop, a wreck would come in, he'd go over it and write what he thought needed repaired, Then adjuster would show up anywhere from a week to days later, give his parts list, then owner contacted and given both write-ups. Usually 2 to 3 weeks before ok given to start repairs then time spent tearing down and waiting on parts. Some were quick ( 3 weeks to a month) some took longer.

Quick Reply: Wait time