General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wait time

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:20 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

When I wrecked my previous bike 2.5 years ago, it took the adjuster a week to contact me. Then he had the bike towed from my house to a dealership, where it took 3-4 days to work up an estimate and determine the bike was totaled. A couple of days later, the adjuster came by my house at 8:30 PM to settle with me. Total time: 16 days from accident to check in hand. My insurance company has one adjuster to cover a huge geographic area.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

That happens in the auto side as well, I see this regularly with my fleet trucks, this is why I keep a couple of pool trucks on standby just in case this crap takes place.

Still does not speak to the "drop your bike off Monday and we'll take care of it" 2 weeks later and 14 days of perfect riding weather you'll never get back. All for a tune-up and a tire.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:03 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by vegashd
Makes a huge difference. That bike is coming in for repair work. That bike is a customer like anyone that has a rod knock, bar installed, etc. just because you had an accident it does not mean you automatically get front if the line price ledges ahead of all other appts or scheduled work.

It's not a one step or two step process. It's a 5-6 step process. I te dealer is thorough the insurance may sen a second adjuster out. This alone can be a two week process. A food wreck estimate can be 3-4 hours depending on bike and severity.

Like I said, I've never seen an adjuster cut a check, in fact the more I think about it they can't sign a check and try don't ring printers they CANNOT cut a check on the spot. I've been involved with hundreds of wreck estimates and they all take the same length no matter the insurance company. A month is a quick time on getting a check cut. I repairs will be made. Sometimes a total will be quicker but a full estimate still has to be done.

Often insurance companies will want a tank repaired and ask for stupid stuff. The dealerships fight to get new tin instead if repaints.
Yes adjusters DO carry printers,and yes they DO print out and sign checks on the spot.[not all companies though] I stand by my original statement that MOST dealerships are NOT prepared to handle wrecks.Bikes are so much simpler than cars,it shouldn't take a month to fix one.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:25 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

If this dealer isn't even willing to give you an idea when they can look at it, I would talk to other dealers and explain and ask if they can co any better. If they tell ya yes and youre up for it, transfer your bike over to them

Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
Yes adjusters DO carry printers,and yes they DO print out and sign checks on the spot.[not all companies though] I stand by my original statement that MOST dealerships are NOT prepared to handle wrecks.Bikes are so much simpler than cars,it shouldn't take a month to fix one.
Then you have all the answers, open up a dealership and you oils be booming with business cause your going to do it better then everyone else.

Tin alone is a 6-12 week process sometimes.

Talked to a progressive adjuster and a usaa adjuster today. Neither one cuts checks, has the ability, or the AUTHORITY I be the final day on a bike. There report gets sent in for review.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoFXDC
One reason, and it's a big one.. That it takes so long, is that shops and stealerships "pad" estimate repair hours. So this takes more time with the insurance company to research if they're getting ripped off.

See, it's a 2 way ****ing between the shop and the insurance company. The insurance company doesn't want to pay any money yet, the shop/stealership is going to try as hard as possible because the insurance company will pay less than book times.

For instance, let's say the front wheel was taco'd and the fork tubes were bent. Book time for all related parts is 4.5 hours. So the shop gives an estimate for 6.0 hours. Then a list of parts is sent to the insurance company along with a labor estimate. So when the ins. Co. Gets this they look it over and go WTF.. They then send in a rebuttal for 4.0 hours and a denial for the wheel bearings that were quoted.

So if the service writer is any good, they call the insurance CO back up and say WTF, so they then "approve" labor time at 4.6 hours, but they want an estimate for junkyard or aftermarket parts.

So the service writer finds fork tubes off a 2 year older bike that'll fit yours, a used wheel from a 3 year older bike and a set of Chinese aftermarket wheel bearings. They call the insurance company back up, give the estimate on "used" parts, and give an authorization number. Cool.. Parts ordered.

So when the bike is torn down, the ins. Co. Calls back and says "wait a minute!" Wheel bearings aren't covered because they deemed them "maintenance items".

So they give you, the customer a call saying, "well, YOUR insurance company won't cover the wheel bearings needed, because they say it's a 'maintenance item'. It'll cost $xxx.xx for parts and 0.5 extra labor to replace. Do you want to go ahead and do this?" Of course you're going to say YES. So then the writer submits the parts request into parts. The parts guy orders everything except the wheel, because he "over looked it". Oh ****...

So the writer scrambles to find the number he called for the "used wheel". He can't find it. So he goes to parts and starts chewing some ***, while the parts guy is throwing his hands in the air.

So after the writer is done with next couple of days of warranty or whatever work repair orders and customers, he finds the sticky note with the number of the used part vendor on his monitor in front of his face... "Ah ha!" He exclaims. He calls up the vendor, they say "sorry that wheel was sold, try these guys".

So the writer calls the new vendor. They don't have it. He calls around and around to no avail. So he has to call back the insurance company. The insurance company "sighs", and does their own set of searching. A couple of days later, a wheel shows up! Woohoo! BUT.. The one the insurance company sent is bent! FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCC!!!!!!

So the writer calls back the insurance co and they apologize and get another one sent out. WTF! It's bent too!!! FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCC C!!!!!!

So now the insurance co can't find another, so they succumb of buying the new OEM wheel against their will. So once all the parts are in, the tech gets to work. It takes him 3 days of working on your bike and doing warranty compensators and other noises...

He finally gets the bike done, it's sent over to detail and it's washed. Now the waiting game for the insurance company to "cut the check". Your bike sits. So finally, you the customer have been completely left in the dark and are pissed. So you call up your wimpy service writer and finally ask WTF dude! And he throws his hands in the air and blames YOUR ins co.

You give a world class *** chewing, demand to speak to the service manager and they tell you to pick up your bike at the end of the day without getting a check from the insurance Co and you pay your portion for the Chinese wheel bearings.

A week later and countless phone calls to YOUR ins co, with authorization numbers armed, the finally mail out a check.

So after 2 months of bullshit and politics, you finally get your bike back, the shop gets paid and all is well ?

Well you notice your fork tubes look used and those aftermarket bearings that the writer didn't tell you were aftermarket because he didn't think they were any different are noisy. So you call back the shop... UH OH.

Please tell me this is a joke. I have never in my life have been asked to find used parts for a customers bike.

It has been said before, just because you get in am accident or crashed your bike does not mean the entire shop stops to make sure you're bike gets fixed fast. It's no different if you need a service done and you just show up unannounced at a shop.

And for those of you who compare motorcycle shops to automotive shops and how they do things.
The next stop is dreamland and you need to get off the train. You can't even compare the two.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
Please tell me this is a joke. I have never in my life have been asked to find used parts for a customers bike.

It has been said before, just because you get in am accident or crashed your bike does not mean the entire shop stops to make sure you're bike gets fixed fast. It's no different if you need a service done and you just show up unannounced at a shop.

And for those of you who compare motorcycle shops to automotive shops and how they do things.
The next stop is dreamland and you need to get off the train. You can't even compare the two.
It sounds like you work for a dealer. I realize most dealers have cut back employees and generally pay as little as possible. However, that being said, your job IS to fix a CUSTOMER'S bike as quickly as possible - For WHATEVER reason they bring it in for. Just because you are the only dealership with x number of miles doesn't mean you can give **** customer service. People wouldn't put up with this with their cars because there are a ton of auto body places and repair places that can work on cars. Not the case with motorcycles.

If your A/C or Heat broke in your house and you called a repair place and they said 'Sorry, we have 3 weeks of repairs ahead of you, we'll get to you when we can' you would accept that? I get it, most mechanics are overworked and underpaid at Harley dealerships.. however that's not the customer's fault. Unfortunately they are at the mercy of the local dealership because of Harley's decisions on where to place dealerships.

Customers pay a premium for the Harley name tag.. they should expect, and demand quick and honest service.