Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw Billy Lane at Daytona yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Branded
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saw Billy Lane at Daytona yesterday

I didnt say two wrongs make it right, DUDE!! All ii was doing was stating the facts, DUDE!!

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

ORIGINAL: Branded

Just remember, Billy and the vicim where both drunk and driving.
AS in two wrongs make a right? Sorry Dude, Billy was the one who passed on the double yellow, not the other guy who was legally in his lane, drunk or not. I like the guy too but believe in personal responsibility. I don't hope he gets the max but he needs to get fair punishment. I believe in "Kill a biker, go to jail". I do realize this may be colored by the fact that I was recently run over by a cager who said, "I didn't see him". She didn't look and maybe Billy didn't either.

either way, Billy's tomorrows are going to be better than hte guy he killed

Bubba

Old 03-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Speed
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

My opinion is that an individual's celebrity, financial,or social status should have absolutely no bearing on how they are treated in the eyes of the court. But I'm also a realist. One has to look no further than O.J. Simpson (and countless others with seriously deep pockets and celebrity) to understand that we live in a society whereby the scales of justice are notalways fair andbalanced.

My wish that justice be administered in this particular case has absolutely nothing to do with the individual involved. Some of you guys speak of Billy Lane almost in a vindictive fashion; seeking justice more from a personal viewpoint than a legal and circumstancialone. The fact of the matter is that I happen to like Billy Lane. Have met him a few times and walked away thinking he was an okay guy with respectable skills (the guy has a mechanical engineering degree). Yes, he screwed up. No doubt. And as such, he should be made to pay for his mistake in the eyes of the courts. No, I don't pity Billy Lane. But as a fellow human being who could just as easily have made that same mistake 'back in the day', I dohave a certain element of emphathy for what he's experiencing and ultimately facing.
ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

I don't think that the vast majority of those who go before the court actually think (maybe some do) that their pressed shirt, new suit, clean shaven face, and fresh haircut is going to garner them any favors in the eyes of the judge. Definitely can't hurt. I do think, however, that most of this is done (with a little help andstrong suggestions by their attorneys I would imagine as well) as a show of respect for both the judge and the court/judicial system in general. Showing up in court before a judge looking and dressed in less than your Sunday best is, in my view, somewhat disrespectful and can only hurt/not help matters. Again, just my take.

I might as well have typed both of these! couldnt have put it any better.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:28 AM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: toyrider

Below is the BAL, but what I have to ask is how is DaimlerChrysler responsible, and in addition I heard the deceased had a BAL that was over the legal limit as well..I feel for Billy Lane as a human. It wasn't intentional as described by the charges filed against him
DaimlerChrysler owned the vehicle Billy was driving. http://www.brainbucketmagazine.com/N.../sid=1074.html

Old 03-09-2007, 09:05 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I talked to Billy a couple hours ago. I told him how my wife and I were hit by a drunk driver last August and I told him that I feel for him. He's not old enough for me to hold this incident totally against him. I told him that I feel for him. We talked about the fact that there are plenty of people out there ready to **** on him because he f'd up but none of them will walk up to him like a man and let him have it in person. You could even see some people that would look and talk and walk away but not talk to him. I always thoughtthat if you had a beef with someone or you had something to say that you should say it TO the person if you are willing to say it ABOUT him. JMO Dave

Old 03-09-2007, 09:16 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mopardave

I talked to Billy a couple hours ago. I told him how my wife and I were hit by a drunk driver last August and I told him that I feel for him. He's not old enough for me to hold this incident totally against him. I told him that I feel for him. We talked about the fact that there are plenty of people out there ready to **** on him because he f'd up but none of them will walk up to him like a man and let him have it in person. You could even see some people that would look and talk and walk away but not talk to him. I always thoughtthat if you had a beef with someone or you had something to say that you should say it TO the person if you are willing to say it ABOUT him. JMO Dave
Curious to know how you were received? What was his reaction and response toward what you shared with him? Did you detect any remorse? Shame? Guilt? Merely curious.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

How anyone can feel sorry for this guy is beyond me. He was reckless, inconsiderate, and negligent. He killed a man due to his drinking and careless behavior. This was not the first time he has driven while under the influence and been caught. Imagine how many times he has driven and not been caught.

As far speaking to Lane, if given an opportunity I would certainly tell him what I thought of his actions. I doubt anyone on this forum knows this guy personally. We only know him through tv or seeing himact like a wild man during a rally. Hard to say what his personality is away from the spotlight.

I like his bikes; he has been pretty ingenious with his creations, but that does not make him a good guy - just a good bike builder.

We all make mistakes. His F-up resulted in the death of someone. Let's all remember that.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:39 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: chester1957

ORIGINAL: thebestofindica

ORIGINAL: Lil Truckr

Sorry guys, I don't feel sorry for him one bit. He made the decision to drive without a license and totally f*ucked up on alcohol when he killed that guy. He does not deserve one bit of sympathy or support. The family of the guy he murdered does, and only this guys family...
Bingo. This guy was a good bike builder with a lot of talent, but that doesn't change the fact that he murdered a guy, plain and simple.
I would think "murder" is a little over the top. With Billy's previous history, I would think he deserves to be taught a lesson, a little hard time to think of his deeds would seem appropriate.
Not murder but "Vehicular Homicide"......and he needs a lot of hard time and no driving privledges for life or he goes back for 20 years. He doesn't need a "lesson" he took a life. He needs punishment. Plain & simple punishment.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:52 AM
sportin_2007
Tourer

Billy Who?

Yea that's what the judge will say. He shouldn't really care who it is, and I am sorry, but the guy deserve's no slack for being a celebrity at all! Bottm line is thetime (or punishment) should fit the crime. Hopefully it's fair, and he does what's right to set his own course in the right direction when this is done. I have always liked his style, and his attitude, and it's too bad this had to happen, or did it have to?

<-----One drink limit here! (or i'm cabbin it)

Old 03-10-2007, 04:35 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Billy is a down to Earth guy who came up kinda quick (through a lot of hard work) with this fame and a little bit of fortune. I think he was living faster than anyone could handle without something bad happening. He was very sincere and he looked me in the eye when we were talking. He feels terrible about what happened. I didn't want to stand there and beat the subject into the ground so I only talked to him for maybe three minutes. I think he was really surprised when I said what I said because his immediate response was to thank me. If you have ever gone through a real bad wreck, it really messes with your head and I wouldn't doubt if it works that way when you are on the other end of the wreck like Billy is. I know he must be extremely stressed over all of this. This is going to the courts and I don't think he should get any more or less than anyone else would get for the same offense.

P.S. After re-reading my earlier post I realized that I made it sound like noone was talking to Billy. That's wrong, there were plenty of people talking to him and getting their pic taken with him.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:34 AM
MAchonewon
Road Master

I see a lot of bikes at "biker bars." Are we drinking ice tea in there. Hardly. There are a considerable amount of us who ride while drinking. Its part of the culture, weekend blowout, and party thing. Maybe we can all learn a lesson here and be more responsible.

Quick Reply: Saw Billy Lane at Daytona yesterday