Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw Billy Lane at Daytona yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 04:06 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saw Billy Lane at Daytona yesterday

My opinion is that an individual's celebrity, financial,or social status should have absolutely no bearing on how they are treated in the eyes of the court. But I'm also a realist. One has to look no further than O.J. Simpson (and countless others with seriously deep pockets and celebrity) to understand that we live in a society whereby the scales of justice are notalways fair andbalanced.

My wish that justice be administered in this particular case has absolutely nothing to do with the individual involved. Some of you guys speak of Billy Lane almost in a vindictive fashion; seeking justice more from a personal viewpoint than a legal and circumstancialone. The fact of the matter is that I happen to like Billy Lane. Have met him a few times and walked away thinking he was an okay guy with respectable skills (the guy has a mechanical engineering degree). Yes, he screwed up. No doubt. And as such, he should be made to pay for his mistake in the eyes of the courts. No, I don't pity Billy Lane. But as a fellow human being who could just as easily have made that same mistake 'back in the day', I dohave a certain element of emphathy for what he's experiencing and ultimately facing.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Bryanp
Tourer

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

My opinion is that an individual's celebrity, financial,or social status should have absolutely no bearing on how they are treated in the eyes of the court. But I'm also a realist. One has to look no further than O.J. Simpson (and countless others with seriously deep pockets and celebrity) to understand that we live in a society whereby the scales of justice are notalways fair andbalanced.

My wish that justice be administered in this particular case has absolutely nothing to do with the individual involved. Some of you guys speak of Billy Lane almost in a vindictive fashion; seeking justice more from a personal viewpoint than a legal and circumstancialone. The fact of the matter is that I happen to like Billy Lane. Have met him a few times and walked away thinking he was an okay guy with respectable skills (the guy has a mechanical engineering degree). Yes, he screwed up. No doubt. And as such, he should be made to pay for his mistake in the eyes of the courts. No, I don't pity Billy Lane. But as a fellow human being who could just as easily have made that same mistake 'back in the day', I dohave a certain element of emphathy for what he's experiencing and ultimately facing.

verry well put and i agree whole heartedly

Old 03-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree with the black guys get treated differntly than the white guys. A black guy with money will get a break where a white guy with no money will not. It aint color any more, man it's $$$$$.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Branded
Road Master

Just remember, Billy and the vicim where both drunk and driving.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: TxHarleyGuy2007

Well said.

I think that some consideration needs to be given to his 'celebrity status' tho.

Billy Lane is by no means a household name. Brittney, O.J., Oprah, etc... They all have names that can be reckognized by nearly everyone in the country. Billy Lane is only a celebrity to people in the motorcycle community. In fact, I would say that his fame, while being associated with the 'chopper' craze, would only hurt him in a courtroom. The image that he has presented on TV as a 'roughneck' will give lawyers all softs of ammunition to throw at him.

Having money is the only thing I see the guy has going for him...and I would also seriously question the amount of money he actually has...He doesn't have the commercial deals that the 'big' buildres have (O.C.C. & W.C.C.)...I would bet that he makes a decent living (because he has made a few TV appearances), but I doubt that he has a huge bankroll like mainstream movie, TV & music personalities.

That all having been said, I hope that he gets something close to a fair trial...I don't think it's fair to hold him accountable for every person who has every died in an alcohol related accident, but he should also not be given a break due to his small bit of fame.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:15 PM
85FXWG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dynamike74

That's the word on the street. Did you get a chance to get any pictures of him with his new do?

Old 03-08-2007, 06:35 PM
bradvols
Cruiser

wow he looks human, he should keep it cut off those dreads were nasty. Though I never understood the get a haircut for the judge thing, guess it could work to a point but the judge can still flip open your file and see your mug shot with your long **** hair and beard.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:55 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

I don't think that the vast majority of those who go before the court actually think (maybe some do) that their pressed shirt, new suit, clean shaven face, and fresh haircut is going to garner them any favors in the eyes of the judge. Definitely can't hurt. I do think, however, that most of this is done (with a little help andstrong suggestions by their attorneys I would imagine as well) as a show of respect for both the judge and the court/judicial system in general. Showing up in court before a judge looking and dressed in less than your Sunday best is, in my view, somewhat disrespectful and can only hurt/not help matters. Again, just my take.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:01 PM
dmize
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know that anyone feels SORRY for him persay....... I feel bad for the entire situation.

I met him at a show once and he seemed pretty cool, I wish I could say the same for some other big name builders.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Branded

Just remember, Billy and the vicim where both drunk and driving.
AS in two wrongs make a right? Sorry Dude, Billy was the one who passed on the double yellow, not the other guy who was legally in his lane, drunk or not. I like the guy too but believe in personal responsibility. I don't hope he gets the max but he needs to get fair punishment. I believe in "Kill a biker, go to jail". I do realize this may be colored by the fact that I was recently run over by a cager who said, "I didn't see him". She didn't look and maybe Billy didn't either.

either way, Billy's tomorrows are going to be better than hte guy he killed

Bubba

Quick Reply: Saw Billy Lane at Daytona yesterday