General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do they actually do at the 1000 mi check-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:14 PM
evolution 2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow everyone says the same things, so how is there any work at the dealers , i mean really maybe if they quit screwing ppl,they would have a lot more work,ands the world would be a better place

Old 09-15-2013, 01:34 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Glockmeister
...All kidding aside, most shops will tell ya they found fasteners loose or missing and other small adjustments needed to instill confidence in their work, and encourage less confident self-service types to bring it back to them...
I know there's a lot of "me, too" pile-on whenever dealers get bashed (and sometimes that's justified), and I know the stock response from some is "buy the manual and tools and do it yourself" (and usually that's valid). But the simple fact is that a lot of bike owners aren't that mechanically inclined and have no real interest in doing more than occasionally checking oil or air pressure. Those people would no doubt appreciate an honest on-point answer to questions like the original post. Those same people would no doubt benefit from someone periodically checking over the bike, especially at that 1K point.

For the OP -- any decent dealer (or indy, for that matter) should be willing to provide a list of everything to be checked at the 1K (or 5, 10, 20K) and some written evidence that those checks were done and whether findings were normal. If the dealer isn't willing to document his work, I'd certainly have less confidence.

FWIW, I do my own routine service work, but for more complicated stuff (like a recent primary seal leak) I'll have someone more skilled do it.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Welderman
Advanced

I asked this originally because I did not really know all that they did. I did know that they changed the fluids, (oils), and are supposed to check bolts and what not. The wife's Sportster will be do in a few hundred miles if we don't sell it first. She does not ride it much, would prefer to ride with me. I do all my own oil changes and most of the mechanical work unless of coarse it is under warranty, then I take it to the dealership. I am considering a new scoot in the near future, (Ultra Limited), and will have to decide whether to get the maintenance program or not, as well as the extended warranty.
Thank you all, for your feedback.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:13 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by PPBART
I know there's a lot of "me, too" pile-on whenever dealers get bashed (and sometimes that's justified), and I know the stock response from some is "buy the manual and tools and do it yourself" (and usually that's valid). But the simple fact is that a lot of bike owners aren't that mechanically inclined and have no real interest in doing more than occasionally checking oil or air pressure. Those people would no doubt appreciate an honest on-point answer to questions like the original post. Those same people would no doubt benefit from someone periodically checking over the bike, especially at that 1K point.

For the OP -- any decent dealer (or indy, for that matter) should be willing to provide a list of everything to be checked at the 1K (or 5, 10, 20K) and some written evidence that those checks were done and whether findings were normal. If the dealer isn't willing to document his work, I'd certainly have less confidence.

FWIW, I do my own routine service work, but for more complicated stuff (like a recent primary seal leak) I'll have someone more skilled do it.

This is my scenario; do most of the routine stuff and some minor fixes (did my stage 1, etc) and on occasion bring it to an Indy for a routine service or more complicated repairs I'm not comfortable doing myself.

I don't know many people who take their cars to the dealer for service so why should a bike be different?

Old 09-15-2013, 02:26 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Take the money and buy yourself a service manual, torque wrench and a jack and you will get a lot more than a glorified oil change. Do as much as you can yourself, whatever your not comfortable with find a Indy and have them do it

Last edited by ynots; 09-15-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:37 PM
ColoFXDC
Tourer

Originally Posted by evolution 2
wow everyone says the same things, so how is there any work at the dealers , i mean really maybe if they quit screwing ppl,they would have a lot more work,ands the world would be a better place
That's the thing... There isn't any work at dealers. Everybody wised up to their games and get better service and prices elsewhere.

So now, what few customers still go to stealerships, they get pillaged financially to where there's "no meat left on the bone" and the customer gets pissed and goes elsewhere.

It's something that stealerships have done to themselves.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:54 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Robb
took my 2013 sportster 72 in to have it done (why? IDK?) should've done it myself. Got charged for new air filter & plugs which I don't think were replaced when the next month I replaced stock ac with custom ac & installed E3 plugs looked like original stuff still there. Makes me wonder what they really did or didn't do

you paid for a new air filter and spark plugs at 1,000 miles ???? really ? Why ?

i'm not sure about bikes 100%, but i know in cars/trucks the easy way to tell if spark plugs are original is to look at the tip of the spark plug where the plug wire goes on.. if there is a paint mark on the tip they're original.. that is an inspection paint mark at the factory indicating, yes they're there and yes they're torqued..

Old 09-15-2013, 04:10 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by larry bart
The one and last time I took the 11 SG in for the 1000 mi and brought the oil (Mobil 1 products) . When I went to change the oils the next oil change to my surprise Dino gear oil came out of the tranny. The service mgr tried to tell me a lot of things happen to oils. He didn't have a lot to say when I pulled a mason jar out of the saddlebag. He refunded my money! It's a scam plan and simple do it yourself and don't believe the BS about the warranty
And how could you tell the tranny oil was dino upon draining?

Old 09-15-2013, 04:21 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

I have been invited into the service area many times. The shop can be viewed from service counter.
Dealer has in all these years never scratched my paint, one time the told me they did, I informed them my wife did that.
I do take mine in for the 1000 mile, they do go over it front to back and take care of any issues at a fair price. The people in that shop been at this awhile and they darn sure know what they are looking for.
I do most of my own service now days I have the time. I put between 20-60 K a year on .
Once in awhile I do run mine in and have them look it over not a bad idea you have objective skilled eyes look it over. Has payed off in them fixing a few minor warranty issues over the years.
Sounds to like some of you need to find a new dealer, or go to one instead of just repeating internet hate mail.
No wonder so many have all these issue with their bikes.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:35 PM
oc1014
Road Captain

If done in a Toledo, Ohio dealers service center they change your engine oil, grease the neck and stick the bill up your butt with sand for lube. But hey, your warrenty is now good. And all this in a short 5 houres.

Quick Reply: What do they actually do at the 1000 mi check-up