General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do they actually do at the 1000 mi check-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 AM
1sicmofo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
If you're loyal to your scoot, you will know how and what things to check, what fluids to change and when, what torque all fasteners need to be for "most" things.
It's my bike and my life, I trust them to no one else.
I ended up with a trans leak caused by a drain plug they stripped

When i got home from picking my bike up after being serviced

They swear they didn't do it,i said ok if it was stripped from the factory

why didn't you put in a new plug ?

After all the service and dyno set up was only 700.00

Old 09-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

They bring your bike back, let it sit for 1-hr and call you for $350 payment...

Seriously, it's pretty much a fluid dump/fill in all three (motor/tranny/clutch) and making proper adjustments that loosened fm new. If you buy the $60 service manual and get your own fluids/tools - you'll save some dinero, but if you don't have time/skills - good to get the initial check done @ HD so it's documented for warranty.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:29 AM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Last year I bought a new BMW G650GS Sertao. I went to the. Parts department to buy the manual and oil filter and the Salesman and Parts Guy wanted to make sure I was bringing it back for the first service at 600 miles. The said BMW really wanted you to do that. I told them I had planned to do it myself . I then asked them what they did at 600 miles that I could'nt do? The parts Guy piped up and said adjust the chain. When he said that the look on his face was priceless when he realized how stupid that was. I then asked them if they bought a new car what would they think if the dealer wanted them to bring it back in 600 miles and pay several hundred dollars for a service?

Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

I bought the tools for doing my own. Including a motorcycle jack which now comes in handy for cleaning the spokes. I spent less than the average $350 for all and get the enjoyment of knowing what and how the service is done to my ride.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:52 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Too bad so many of the others in here have had such a bad time at their dealerships.

Ours does a check off of every Item on the list and gives it to the owner every time with an explanation.

When they are done with the service they then wash and detail Every bike so Ur bike is clean when U pick it up. Most are cleaner than when they dropped them off.

Cost,, Its $249.00.. while with Syn oils its $30 more

Last edited by oct1949; 09-16-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:53 AM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 113 Posts

The one and last time I took the 11 SG in for the 1000 mi and brought the oil (Mobil 1 products) . When I went to change the oils the next oil change to my surprise Dino gear oil came out of the tranny. The service mgr tried to tell me a lot of things happen to oils. He didn't have a lot to say when I pulled a mason jar out of the saddlebag. He refunded my money! It's a scam plan and simple do it yourself and don't believe the BS about the warranty

Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 AM
ColoFXDC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They change the fluids and lube the clutch cable. I only did it to "dot my T's and cross my i's" for the unfortunate occurance that I need work done under warranty. And that's why I'm buying the HD oil and parts while its still under warranty... Because they WILL blame you for "negligence" if you can't prove without a shadow of doubt that you took care of it.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:11 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They have a whole list of items that are suppose to be checked but in reality if the oil's look good a quick look over is about all's they do, There is a reason most Dealerships do not allow customers into the service areas, especially when their bikes are being serviced.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:28 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ib5150
They have a whole list of items that are suppose to be checked but in reality if the oil's look good a quick look over is about all's they do, There is a reason most Dealerships do not allow customers into the service areas, especially when their bikes are being serviced.
+1

Exactly.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear they also wipe boogers on the bottom of the mufflers and whisper discouragement into the ECM.

All kidding aside, most shops will tell ya they found fasteners loose or missing and other small adjustments needed to instill confidence in their work, and encourage less confident self-service types to bring it back to them. I have only taken my bikes in a few times. New bikes got the 1k and I pay indi shops for work I don't have the tools for....but I'm just too cheap to pay someone for the kind of work listed in the regular services.

Go through these lists and see, there ain't much you can't do with basic tools and a service manual. http://www.gatewayhd.com/default.asp...ice-checklists

If you still lack confidence, check out some internet "how to" videos.

Last edited by Glockmeister; 09-15-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: What do they actually do at the 1000 mi check-up