General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts
Default We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....

So you know how we joke about voiding the warranty if we don't use HD approved air etc? Well, I was at the dealership today because I needed 1 more quart of Amsoil, and a filter. The parts guy told me about this new bulletin, PLA 1009, that he just saw. He said that using anything other than HD lubricants may affect warranty coverage. HD calls it "inferior lubricants". I got the impression he was trying to get me to buy HD oil. I told him my bike isn't under warranty anyway so I'll stick with my Amsoil. I asked him if he thinks it really makes a difference and then he started reading the bulletin to me, pointing out where it said, "HD oils contain proprietary additives that gives our oils qualities required to meet the unique demands of a HD engine". I obviously didn't agree and told him there are plenty of high grade oils that have worked just fine for many years.

I wonder how all this will unfold with warranty's if someone uses other lubricants.

He wouldn't give me a copy of the bulletin but I did take a photo. Don't know if you'll be able to blow it up enough to read but here it is.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:41 PM
AlwaysHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this is a very awkwardly worded bulletin.
Basically it just says it has to be a Harley oil then it says
Harley has to approve the oil first.
They also talk a lot about "inferior" lubricants.
Don't really see much of a game changer in this.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Txdyna04
Intermediate

All the local dealers here sell am soil and I also sell it and a soil hasn't sent any bulletins to me about it.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:49 PM
45fan
Tourer

I may be reading too much into it but it looks to me like some dealership was running a deal on oil changes and using a cheaper oil and HD got word of it. Like I say I may be picking it thin but that's what I see...

Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 PM
vegashd
Banned

This was put out as many dealers use a 55 gallon bulk car oil drum and do cheaper oil chnges with it. The moco learns everything

Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,280 Likes on 1,583 Posts

There are standards that oils have to meet. Any reputable motor oil will have passed those standards and can't be called "Inferior".

If the oils used, meet those standards, Harley can't touch it.

Reads to me like the Mother Ship is telling dealers to stop selling other brands when doing service.

Harley would be inviting a big, expensive, lawsuit by say an oil like Mobil One or Amsoil was causing engine failures.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,358 Likes on 5,498 Posts

Personally I would use walmart brand before I would use amsoil . That said I do not use Hd and never had any warranty issues

Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 PM
BikerDawg
Advanced

Tell them about the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. In addition to negating the BS scare tactics the dealers use in reference to requiring you get your bike serviced by them to maintain the warranty it also states that "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions".

I can't believe that HD still tries to pull this crap.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:12 PM
ColoFXDC
Tourer

Originally Posted by Toypuller
There are standards that oils have to meet. Any reputable motor oil will have passed those standards and can't be called "Inferior".

If the oils used, meet those standards, Harley can't touch it.

Reads to me like the Mother Ship is telling dealers to stop selling other brands when doing service.

Harley would be inviting a big, expensive, lawsuit by say an oil like Mobil One or Amsoil was causing engine failures.
Amsoil does cause engine failures. A 2011 Mazda CX9 came into our shop one day, with internal engine noise.

Customer stated that he used Amsoil for his first and only oil change, which was just 5000 miles ago and the engine was deprived of oil. We only drained a 1/2 quart out of the oil Pans 6 quart capacity... The manufactur only paid 50% of the warranty claim citing the Amsoil as a cause of failure. The oil slipped past piston rings and burned without the customer knowing before it was too late.

While my bike is under warranty... I'm sucking it up and buying the Syn3 in case of any motor concerns under warranty as I don't want the Stealer or HD trying to pin it on me.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Its clear they are talking about DEALERS offering oil changes not using Harley oil and not disclosing that to the customer. If I get my oil changed at a dealership I expect it to be Harley oil.

Quick Reply: We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....