General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 07:02 PM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

My local dealer sells Amsoil as part of the service so I will go under,, if they sell it HD must support if it does not work!!!! Been using Amsoil in my truck for 15 years and no problems at all.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Txdyna04
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does that justify that it am soil causes engine failure? Just because some one was to stupid to fill the engine to capacity. 1/2 quart in a 6 qt pan. Gas it's exxons fault if it ran outta gas..........

Old 09-14-2013, 09:58 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

My dads 09 ultra is currently at the dealer getting the engine rebuilt under warranty because the bearing where the connecting rod connects to the crankshaft went bad. He has been using amsoil. They didn't void his warranty but they did tell him that amsoil is what caused the bearing failure and that they recommended not using any synthetic especially amsoil. They said that they have seen too many mechanical failures from using amsoil. They could just be blowing smoke, I don't know.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
One thing is for certain. He lost 50% of the cost of a new engine because somebody didn't teach him right. You fill the tank full when you get fuel and check the oil every time you do it. As important as oil is, that's a no compromise rule for me. And on a motorcycle? I won't start one (at the beginning of the day) without checking the oil; on a long ride, every time I get fuel.
Not only that, but if I am reading colo's post correctly, the kid did his first and only oil change at 13000 miles? So, the factory supplied oil, that had all the crap in it from break-in, has been circulating in that engine for almost three-times the recommended amount? I'm no fan of Amsoil, but I don't think that is the sole reason for his issues. I'd be hesitant to put any weight behind that story without some proof....stuff isn't adding up(and Nomadmax, you are 100% correct on filling and checking)

Old 09-14-2013, 11:43 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodzilla6
It's horse hockey like this that has me and my brother switching to Indian. I refuse to buy anything that comes from countries or corporations that operate without scruples or principles...
i'd like to see what the new indians say about oil, etc. in their warranty section of the owner's manual. i would wager to bet that it says something similar.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
My dads 09 ultra is currently at the dealer getting the engine rebuilt under warranty because the bearing where the connecting rod connects to the crankshaft went bad. He has been using amsoil. They didn't void his warranty but they did tell him that amsoil is what caused the bearing failure and that they recommended not using any synthetic especially amsoil. They said that they have seen too many mechanical failures from using amsoil. They could just be blowing smoke, I don't know.
They are blowing smoke. "Recommended not using any synthetic"? THEY use synthetic in their newer models (pure syn or blend, I dont know...haven't purchased oil from them ever in my 20 years of riding HD's). I'd be curious to see if they would put that in writing on dealership letterhead....I'm guessing they won't. I'm not in the amsoil camp (just personal preference...not dinging them in the least), but if Amsoil were evil, dealerships wouldn't be selling it. If synthetics were evil, harley wouldnt be putting it in their CVO's, or selling it (at a premium) in their parts-room.
Anytime a place makes a claim such as that, just ask them to put it in writing, on the businesses paperwork, and sign their name (legibly) underneath it. Same with the shop claiming amsoil voided 50% of the warranty in a vehicle with one oil change in 18000 miles. If they are so sure that it was the oil, and not crappy owner maintenance, then put it in writing, otherwise it is bullocks.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:51 AM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor
They are blowing smoke. "Recommended not using any synthetic"? THEY use synthetic in their newer models (pure syn or blend, I dont know...haven't purchased oil from them ever in my 20 years of riding HD's). I'd be curious to see if they would put that in writing on dealership letterhead....I'm guessing they won't. I'm not in the amsoil camp (just personal preference...not dinging them in the least), but if Amsoil were evil, dealerships wouldn't be selling it. If synthetics were evil, harley wouldnt be putting it in their CVO's, or selling it (at a premium) in their parts-room.
Anytime a place makes a claim such as that, just ask them to put it in writing, on the businesses paperwork, and sign their name (legibly) underneath it. Same with the shop claiming amsoil voided 50% of the warranty in a vehicle with one oil change in 18000 miles. If they are so sure that it was the oil, and not crappy owner maintenance, then put it in writing, otherwise it is bullocks.
Yeah, I was pretty sure they were blowing smoke. I have used amsoil a few times but it didn't seem to operate any different than any other synthetic I used. I have syn3 in my bike now but am thinking about trying mobil 1 or lucas synthetic next time. Oh, the dealer also said that they don't recommend synthetic because HDs "are happier with regular dino oil". Pretty sure thats more smoke blowing. But, I agree, if Harley didn't like synthetic, why would they sell it and why would they put it in the cvo's.

I don't care if amsoil says you can go 10k-20k miles on an oil change. I never have and never will be comfortable with going that long on a single oil change. I use synthetic in my truck and bike and change each every 5k miles.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:23 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My service manual for the 09 says if no HD brand oil available to use a diesel spec CG, CH or CI grade oil.
That tells me that HD oil is most likely specified as one of the above. I have been running a dual spec SL/CI-4 Grade diesel oil in the Softail and the BargeGlide for years without issue. Lifters on the Glide are as quiet as a church mouse...

Old 09-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Overkill and Paranoid are a couple of words that come to mind. How many times, and how much oil, have you needed to add on a daily basis? Once you have a little history on a vehicles oil consumption rate I see no reason at all to check the level as often as you. If you all of a sudden puked a quart or two between fill-up's I think you'd know that without having to check the oil level.
Overkill, maybe. But I've never paid for an engine and I've never been stranded because I lost one. I travel far and wide; to places most folks who ride motorcycles have never been. Without redundent safety systems you can wind up in a hurtlocker. I can see where someone who rides locally and is never more than a tankfull of fuel away from home might be apt to follow your practice; and probably do just fine. The one thing I learning in Corps about overkill; he's damn sure dead.

If someone wears a helmet but has never fallen and knows they've never taken a tumble; does that constitute overkill as well?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by vegashd
You mean like the super high revving powerstroke that shears oil worse then anything..... At all 2500rpm
Thats a little different. Powerstrokes (at least the 6.0 I had) pressurizes the oil to some 4000 psi.........thats what shears the oil.

Quick Reply: We joke about voiding the warranty. WELL....